What is a Libero and who can play that role?

• Thread starter Thread starter MWEST94
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 7K
What is a Libero and who can play that role?

Its a sweeper

[h=1]Association football positions[/h] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[h=3]Sweeper/Libero (SW)[/h] Main article: Sweeper (association football)
The sweeper or libero (Italian: free) is a more versatile type of centre-back that, as the name suggests, "sweeps up" the ball if the opponent manages to breach the defensive line. Their position is rather more fluid than other defenders who mark their designated opponents. The sweeper's ability to read the game is even more vital than for a centre-back.[16] The catenaccio system of play, used in Italian football in the 1960s, notably employed a defensive libero.[17]
Former German captain Franz Beckenbauer is widely accepted as the inventor of the libero and one of the best players of the role.[18]

In FM the libero role is a more offensive-minded sweeper who comes forward when you have possession.

Jan Vertonghen would be perfect if you want to use a libero. I can't think of any others off the top of my head since there's not a lot of sweepers on the game.

Sweeper and Libero are not the same role. Sweeper is defending role that picks up through balls. Libero does that too but when team in position he acts like DM and looks for through ball and long shot opportunities.

i agree with SpartyOn. Vertonghen suitible for that role. But don't forget that, this role is not available in modern football.

Vertonghen, King and Hubschman are good at this role.

Back