What is your ideal roster Size (main + reverse / youth squads)?

MonagHusker

Reaction score
When putting your entire organization together what is your ideal roster/squad? What is your ideal squad size for each tier (main, reserve, and U-teams)?

How do you handle your rosters with the youth intake? Do you cut them loose early?

I always build the same 25 man squad if I can

GK X3

LB X2
RB X2

CB X2
CB X2

DMC X2
MC X2
AMC X2

AML X2
AMR X2

FW X2
FW X2

Do you apply this same logic to your U18 or equivalent squad?

Yep. pretty much all the way down unless i have lots out on loan, i always make sure the u23/18 can put out a team of players rather than greyed out ones.

Yep. pretty much all the way down unless i have lots out on loan, i always make sure the u23/18 can put out a team of players rather than greyed out ones.
Thanks!
I inherited a team that had way too many players and I am trying to work it down to something manageable.

When your youth intake comes in, do you start releasing players to make room?

Thanks!
I inherited a team that had way too many players and I am trying to work it down to something manageable.

When your youth intake comes in, do you start releasing players to make room?

Selling if i can, but yeah cutting it i cant.

It depends on what level I am at in the game - I am currently League 1 England, small club (Borehamwood) and am building a roster that looks something like:

1st Team = 2x plyrs for each position -selected on CA alone.
PLUS 1 for each position who are under 23, train with the firsts and play U23 or out on loan.

U23s = At least one in each position, plus those who train with the 1sts, plus promising U18s

u18s= The most promising are moved to the U23 squad but available for u18s games. All intake are retained at least two seasons

Coaches are the best I can get to work for me

Seems to work at L1 level with good cover for first team, but I don't look for 'success' with my age groups.

If I was big Premier club I would be more structured about the youth progression and look to buy in for U18/U23 as well.

Lower league I would be much smaller roster and only consider bringing players in that directly improve my 1st 11.

i dont control my youth teams leave it to *** man but i just promote players direct to 1st team if they have potential

normally in 1st team i do
2xgk
2xrb
5xcb
2xlb
5xcm
2xrw
2xlw
2xst
2 x rotation players

1st team:
2x GK
2x RB
4x CB
2x LB
2x DM
6x CM
2x RW
2x LW
3x ST

Something like that I try to have CMs or Wingers that can play on CAM spot too

I always try for 2 players in each first team position who can be rotated pretty freely without weakening the team and I always like to have 3-4 players under the age of 21 in the first team squad.

I let the assistant manager manage the youth teams, but when I have a first team player who's getting close to retirement or 33/34 years old, for example, I make sure I have a youngster with at least the PA of the outgoing player to ensure a smooth transition into the first team, ideally with the retiring player acting as a mentor for the youngster as well if possible.

usually i go for a 21 squad for my first team. the rest will be taken from reserve if needed

It depends on what level I am at in the game - I am currently League 1 England, small club (Borehamwood) and am building a roster that looks something like:

1st Team = 2x plyrs for each position -selected on CA alone.
PLUS 1 for each position who are under 23, train with the firsts and play U23 or out on loan.

U23s = At least one in each position, plus those who train with the 1sts, plus promising U18s

u18s= The most promising are moved to the U23 squad but available for u18s games. All intake are retained at least two seasons

Coaches are the best I can get to work for me

Seems to work at L1 level with good cover for first team, but I don't look for 'success' with my age groups.

If I was big Premier club I would be more structured about the youth progression and look to buy in for U18/U23 as well.

Lower league I would be much smaller roster and only consider bringing players in that directly improve my 1st 11.

i dont control my youth teams leave it to *** man but i just promote players direct to 1st team if they have potential

normally in 1st team i do
2xgk
2xrb
5xcb
2xlb
5xcm
2xrw
2xlw
2xst
2 x rotation players

1st team:
2x GK
2x RB
4x CB
2x LB
2x DM
6x CM
2x RW
2x LW
3x ST

Something like that I try to have CMs or Wingers that can play on CAM spot too

Thanks for your replies!

I always try for 2 players in each first team position who can be rotated pretty freely without weakening the team and I always like to have 3-4 players under the age of 21 in the first team squad.

I let the assistant manager manage the youth teams, but when I have a first team player who's getting close to retirement or 33/34 years old, for example, I make sure I have a youngster with at least the PA of the outgoing player to ensure a smooth transition into the first team, ideally with the retiring player acting as a mentor for the youngster as well if possible.

usually i go for a 21 squad for my first team. the rest will be taken from reserve if needed
Thanks!

Usually I go for

2xGK

2xRB (1 more Defensive and 1 more Attacking)
4xCB (Like to bring in Youth players in CB when I can)
2xLB (Same as RB)

6xCM (This varies every season depending how I play, currently have 1CDM, 3 CM, 1 CAM & 1 Versatile player who plays CM, RM, RWB

2x AML
2xAMR
1x Who plays both, have Andre Green from Aston Villa after seeing him in a story on here.

3x ST

Usually I go for

2xGK

2xRB (1 more Defensive and 1 more Attacking)
4xCB (Like to bring in Youth players in CB when I can)
2xLB (Same as RB)

6xCM (This varies every season depending how I play, currently have 1CDM, 3 CM, 1 CAM & 1 Versatile player who plays CM, RM, RWB

2x AML
2xAMR
1x Who plays both, have Andre Green from Aston Villa after seeing him in a story on here.

3x ST
Thanks! I am hoping to sit down and apply some hybrid setup of all these great suggestions.