What makes a 'world class' player?

Playing for Barcelona in any position bar left back and right wing.

Do they play for Villa as a striker?

-------------------------------------------------

If you answered yes to all the questions, you are world class, congrats!

winning trophies, not by just sneaking 10 appearances actually playing the vast majority of games

Someone who time after time has consistently been able to put himself out there and do what is needed of them, they don't realistically need to be the most "gifted" players either.

I think it's hard to class somone who is world class based of anything less than 3-4 seasons, lots of players have great runs then just disappear into nothing.
Take Ronaldhino for example, had 2-3 seasons where he was amazing and everyone knew it. Then he just dropped of the face of earth, granted it didn't help with C.Ronaldo and others starting to come into the limelight.

The players at the top of their game and who are playing at the top of the game. A list of 10 would be.
Messi
Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Casillas
Drogba
Rooney
Fabregas
Sneijder
Cavani

All them are world class but there are many more without a dout.

Doin a backheel in a match. Itz sooooooooooooo kewl.

To me its consistantly good appearances over 2 /3 years in a competitive league/tournament/international. If you can do amazing one season but not the next then you had A good season. Do it for 3 or more in a row and you have to be up there with the best.

Technically, media coverage.

Being a "world class" player assumes people from throughout the world know who you are. You can't be known unless you get press.

So it certainly helps to have a personality for the media to center on

plus having athletic ability to merit their attention.

Consistent performances at the top level for about 2 years in a competitive league for club and country. Also, being able to win a match on your own if necessary e.g. moments of magic.

The definition of world class: Emile Heskey.

In my eyes to be world class you need to be obviously a very good player, but also you need to be known all around the world. I'd say there's probably about 15 or so that fit in to this category.

My personal definition of World Class is you can get into absolutely every team in the World (Whether that's First XI or substitute).

1. Can get in to the top 5 teams in the world First XI
2. A regular fixture in your National Team
3. Has won or has been in the running for the World Player of the Year etc.
4. Irreplaceable in your club and national First 11

Better than 90 - 95% of all the players that play his respective position and role.

1. Can get in to the top 5 teams in the world First XI
2. A regular fixture in your National Team
3. Has won or has been in the running for the World Player of the Year etc.
4. Irreplaceable in your club and national First 11

World player of the year is not the way to judge world class players. If I'm not wrong Guti, Scholes, Giggs, Nesta, VDS, Zanetti, Puyol, Maicon, Alves, Cole, Evra were never in the contention for world player of the year. Still were world class and Nest is among the best in the generation.

Agree with other points..

Back