Jay_Toso

Reaction score
Hello there

I started this thread to discuss and share the things that work tactically in this game (for instance, crossing early with fullbacks in fm2016 worked wonders) and what doesn't.

This is to encourage tactic creation rather than plug and play. The idea is to understand what makes the best tactics great, and list them somehow in this thread, so you can pick up other players' ideas and learn from other players' mistakes.

I'm currently starting a non transfer game with hull city to test some tactics.

interesting topic.

my main question is - will fm 2016 tactics work well in fm 2017? how effective is the 4231 this year?

I can't seem to get IF's to work at all, scoring or assisting they're doing neither.

Going through the middle seems quite strong, flooding the AM positions, with or without a striker.

Advanced Forward seems to do well too and score a lot.

Wingers seems to be more effective. No idea instructions wise what to do at all.

Any help there? Starting a network game and really do need tactics somewhat cracked or i'm in deep!

Long shots

Long shots seem to be finding their way into the net too often, get your midfield players shooting more often I guess

my two cents - more on players than on tactics

low concentration is a no no regardless of your skill levels at other areas.
low balance is a no no for any player expected to receive and run with the ball - my wingers and strikers seem to hold the ball a little bit more once i put in those with good balance - the new ME defenders close down like they are on crack

against weaker teams, i usually find out their player with the most key passes and mark and close them down a lot more.

center backs man marking is a terrible idea.

For those in the lower divisions that are reading the thread, i seem to be having more luck having False Nines. They seems to play better and i still create chances. I played for years with Complete Forwards even good ones but False Nines really seem to be where its at. I also never used to play counter i used to play control but counter seems to be really good now and doesnt mean you dont control the ball it just means you will look to keep the ball and break quickly when you can.

In summary

False Nines
Counter

More layered formations will work with a more structured fluidity and vice versa
If using a more defensive mentality, you can afford to increase tempo and vice versa
If increasing tempo, you need a deeper line so that your defenders can setup a proper zone and vice versa
If using a deeper line, you need to close down more and perhaps tight mark
If using a higher line, you need to close down less, and perhaps guard from counters by using the offside trap
More agressive mentality means playing higher and narrower, closer to oppositions goal, so you need a more fluid fluidity, and use a formation without anyone in DM and WB position, as their operating space will be to small for them to be effective. Very fluid fluidity means using a flat formation. And vice versa.
You can push everyone forward and overload opposition, but you will lose against countering teams. A balanced tactic will be good at defending aswell as attacking.
Attacking is exactly that. It's not about pressing, pressing is a defence feature. And it's about direct passing, not keeping possession, which is also a way to defend. And vice versa.
More fluidity means asking your players to do more. In highly structured formation and fluidity, players do just the basics, gk defends, defenders clear the ball, midfield supports, and strikers attack. The more fluid you go, the more their roles and duties need to deviate from this highly structured.

Last edited:
Well my thoughts that DLF scores more goals than AF. Just tried and its remarkable. Put DLF with AF(or Poacher) and AF will drag opponent into the space and it will leave a lot of space to alone DLF. That was my suggestion, and BTW worked really well on FM2016.

Using Opposition Instructions works for me well... maybe it's always been like this but it's only this year I've set these up myself; I use close down more and tighter marking on most players and looks like it works!

Small sample size, but from what I've seen, simplicity can still work wonders and counter-attacking can still be very effective.

Had a test save with Lokomotiv Moscow. My primary tactic is a 4-1-4-1 Very Fluid / Standard high press, based on Ozil-to-the-Arsenal's stuff on SI. Works quite well most of the time, and plays some wonderfully expansive football. My second tactic is another 4-1-4-1, but a Flexible / Counter based on Cleon's work on FM16. No Team Instructions. Using the main tactic, I did pretty well in the first few league matches of the season, scoring 3 and 4 goals despite having rather dross for strikers. Then my first big test was against Zenit St. Petersburg. I didn't change anything and lost 4-0. A bit expected as Zenit are the class of the league and have the quality to pass around my press. But since I knew I wouldn't go further with the save, I made some tweaks and replayed the match. 4-0 again. Switched to Counter. 2-0. Switched a few player roles and used Counter. 2-1 loss. Then I went to the counter tactic. 4-0 win. The goals were scrappy but the defensive solidity was impressive. I can't claim that we would win that every time if I kept replaying it, but changing things to suit the opponent can be vital.