huwb85

Reaction score
I have recently picked up FM11 again after not having played for some time. I am looking for some help with tactics, not merely solutions "play this formation" or "download this tactic" kinda stuff, but suggestions for tactics and settings and the reasons behind why you have chosen them, I hope this will help me get my head around the options available and what makes people choose certain tactics over others.

I am managing Cardiff City (post patch FM11 so no wage budget/transfer rev, and all loan signings seem to have an initial fee attached to them) however I still have one of the best teams in the league. My assistant tells me we are "the best passers", I have a very creative midfield in McPhail and Whittingham, of course there is also Bellamy and Bothroyd as well.

Typically I do not like to fiddle around with individual players sliders, other than to tell a left footed winger playing on the right to cut inside etc.

Based on this team, what philosophy, strategy, passing style etc would you choose? and most importantly why?

One thing which has always confused me and seems to conflict from one tactical guide to the next is passing, some people insist that short passing is simple passing that requires less skill and should therefore be used by weaker sides, whilst direct passing requires precision and good vision/anticipation. Then you read the countless blogs/forums posts and guides that say direct is the simpler option for less technically gifted players, short passing means players will be making more passes to get the ball forward therefore the less skilled will be more likely to lose the ball. Both are perfectly logical explanations as far as I am concerned, I was hoping that the ideas that people post here would help me work out what sort of things you guys look at when deciding on your tactics! (hopefully)

Generally short passing for me if i am a big team, smaller teams may have more luck with a quick boot forward lol but tbh I've not experimented too much. Could stay on default ;)