When is best to sell older players?

Reaction score
Hi guys was just wonders when you think is the best time to sell your older players

Im managing Newcastle im into jan 2015.

At the start of this season i sold Coloccini for ?8mil, and he has gone on to play worse than ever. Good bit of business i think.

However Jonas Gutierrez is now 31 ******* up 32, he is my wing cover for HBA and Iker Muniain. He comes one and performs well, when he starts he plays just as well if not better than his sub appearences. He value is still ?8.5m.

so question is when would you sell him? now while his value is still so high? or keep him as he is still performing risking not getting as much for him as his value drops?

cheers guys, looking forward to your views.

Last edited:
I sell my oldies when 31/32 as you can still make a fair bit of cash of them (depending on player of course) before they start to decline rapidly..

sometimes I keep a player til 35 if he does not decline too much and still has the stats I need for his position!

Ze Roberto is still one of the best mids at the start of the game at 37yrs old :) I use him for at least 2 seasons!

so it depends, however, 32 is my cut off point usually

I sell my oldies when 31/32 as you can still make a fair bit of cash of them (depending on player of course) before they start to decline rapidly..

sometimes I keep a player til 35 if he does not decline too much and still has the stats I need for his position!

Ze Roberto is still one of the best mids at the start of the game at 37yrs old :) I use him for at least 2 seasons!

so it depends, however, 32 is my cut off point usually

will keep him untill end of the season and then cash in on him. any extra coin is a bonus.

I had Jonas at Newcasle until he was 30, sold him to Arsenal for ?20m (didn't consider selling him, they just made a crazy bid)...

He only made 1 appearence for them in 3 seasons and ended up being released, then when signing for Villareal on a free, he was only worth ?475k.

usually 27-28 for me.

I focus crazily on kids. I usually keep a very young squad, My current team is an average age of 20. Oldest first teamer is 23 currently. I have a 25 year old for tutoring.

This is something that's worrying me recently in my current save. I have the two Jacks, Wilshire and Rodwell, as my captain and vice captain. Both in their early 30s, both beloved by the fans, both capable of putting on some great performances, and both doing roles where physical attributes aren't the most important. My priority has always been youth though, so I have a handful of youngsters ready and able to take their spots.

Don't want to miss out on making some cash, but also a little attached to them. Suspect sentimentality will get the better of me, and I'll end up doing what I've done with Vidic and Fletcher before, letting them drift out onto the fringes and then retiring them into coaching jobs.

Depends what league I'm in.. EPL I usually say between 29-31 before I think about selling.. However I don't mind keeping a Serie player until hes 34. Plus, sometimes it's hard to sell off players you've grown fond of. Not to mention I almost always try to build a HG squad so selling players is not always an option :)

I sell at around 30-32 because that's when players will still be worth their max value, but their attributes will be beginning to fall.
I had Jordan Ayew who had been a complete beast for me for over six years, but he was 31, his physicals were dropping slightly, stuck him on the transfer market and sold him for 40 million to Real Madrid :P

With home grown regens I try to turn them into the next Scholes/ Giggs :P because I just grow fond of them.

I normally start considering offers for my better players when they reach 27-28. But don't actively look to sell until they turn 30. (+1-2 years for CBs and GKs)

Although I only focus on young players I got Del Piero on a free in my first season on my Cagliari save. He was still a very important player, but I think that you should sell him and find a good regen as backup

i usually sell about 30 but it is good to have a couple of more experienced players and a gd range of ages to help the younger players i find, a player like lampard on a free can be a valuable asset in tougher games

In my latest Chelsea save, I sold Drogba at the start of the season for about 15 mil to PSG, 6 months later he's worth <500k.

He was 33, his value drops ridiculously quick, but I sold him right at the perfect time. So keep them as long as they're useful, but be wary how quick they can drop off.

Back