When the Going gets tough, the tough gets going

• Thread starter Thread starter jpflfc96
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 811

jpflfc96

Reaction score
Sitting on my sofa with Sky Sports news on, is this what football management's like I asked myself. I had just passed my coaching badges that would allow me to manage in Leagues 1 and 2 and was looking for a club. I had previously managed really low league side Newark Town into the division before the Blue Square North/South divisions before I had stepped down in search for a new challenge.

I am only 38 and there's a vacancy for Altrincham in Blue Square North, I sent an e-mail straight away. I was quite excited as this was quite a big step up. This side had been in the Blue Square Premier beforehand and it would be quite a tough challenge in getting them back there. I knew that other people would apply and I probably didn't stand a chance of getting it. I needed to clear my head and prepare for a possible interview, so I took the lead out of the cupboard and attached it to the collar of Chester, and took him for a walk. The waiting game had begun...

Last edited:
Sky Sports News seems to be the only channel on at the moment when I'm alone, but not when my girlfriend Alex is around. No, romantic comedies. I sat through three films which were really boring!! Then, my phone rang; unknown number. I was reluctant to pick it up as it was probably some bank offering me a 'great mortgage.' After a few rings I picked it up and there was a man on the other end:

"Hello, is this Josh Feehily?"

"Yes it is, may I ask who's calling."

"This is Grahame Rowley, owner of Altrincham Football Club, we've read your application and we'd like to invite you for an interview."

"That's great Mr. Rowley, what time should I be there."

"2pm sharp. I look forward to meeting you."

"And you."

I put the phone down and danced around the room. Alex looked at me as if to say 'waht the f$*k are you doing?!' I told her that I had an interview and she was made up for me, and I sat back down, dreaming of managing a team, but first, I had an interview to prepare for...

In the end my dreams were rather short lived. I didn't get the job as someone with a higher reputation in the game had stepped forward. I was feeling low but told myself not to let it get me down.

I was a perfectly good manager and I knew it. Alex is wonderful and I just want to spend time with her. A job will come, meanwhile, I'm off to Collingham (Newark, Nottinghamshire) to watch the mighty Newark Town!!! You blues!

Back