When You First got the Net what did you use it for?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gregor
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 638

Gregor

like a (super) mod
Reaction score
I used to go on ICQ a lot, had like 3 middle aged women on the go when i was 12/13.

Used to go round my mates every weekend and spend ages on AOL chatrooms pretendign to be people, we put our mobile number on it for a laff as well for some reason.

Used to spend a lot fo time on MSN chatrooms as well then it changed so you had to be 18 or summat to go on them?

Main websites i went on were champmaniacs.de and Xtratime Forums.

Also found FM-Base, or CMBase as it was known in them days wen i was about 13, still there and im almost 20 now

O yeh, and Robbs Celebs for fapping

I've had the internet since '99 so when I was about 11-ish.

I used to use ICQ too, still remember my number even though I haven't logged in for years, but I never chatted up middle aged women. I used it for cooler things like talking to my buddies from Planetarion.

I also remember when Napster was the place to get awesome songs by people like the Bomfunk MC's. Then I remember when all the other P2P programs did the same (iMesh, Kazaa, etc..)

I used to always be on the Warez sites too looking for good FTP servers that would let me max out my 56kbs connection. (H) Downloading games in those days took forever. Thank god for broadband and torrents.

Was it 2001 when we all came to CMBase? Hmm

As you can tell things haven't really changed much, I was as cool then as I am now. I'm sure I'll think of more fascinating things to talk about later.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qtqz0bdq30Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qtqz0bdq30Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FG1AQcGGSec&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FG1AQcGGSec&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The sound pwns. The worst thing about it was that it would cut out after 2 hours.

Yeh mine would do that, thats why you had to be hax and get a download manaer that woudl reconnect when you lost your connection and would DC when it was finished

gotr it in 98 and it was 1p a minute so only really used it for Napster then my mate told me about msn so we moved onto a free evening and weekend deal. AOL chat rooms with my mates were the best pretending to be lesbo's etc.

This it was a cm mag that i found cmbase and i added Sean because im a n00b and needed help.

Lolz yeh i member that, sean was like i know this scottish guy who could play in our net game.

Think I got it in late 1999.

Can't really remember what sites etc I used to go on when I first had it, although wwf.com would have had a lot of hits cos I always used to see what happened before it came on Sky :P.

I wasn't the first to get MSN, can't remember when I got that. Think I used to go on a chatroom called Habbo Hotel, that ring a bell anyone??

Think I came across CMbase thru SI's list of affiliates.

Used to absolutely rape Napster, used it so much. Then my favouritist band helped destroy it :). Kazaa got loadsa usage after that as well.

mmm got the internet in about 2000, but no idea what i used it for until i went to sixth form when i got msn, joined cmbase around 03/04 i think.... cos ajw told me bwt it, and myspace towards the end of sixth form

ddnt start downloading shiz till i came to uni, dad was quite strict about that, and the time i tried 2 use napstar i cudnt figure it out :S

Remember Kazaa was filled with songs that were just static

I've had the internet since '99 so when I was about 11-ish.

I used to use ICQ too, still remember my number even though I haven't logged in for years, but I never chatted up middle aged women. I used it for cooler things like talking to my buddies from Planetarion.

I also remember when Napster was the place to get awesome songs by people like the Bomfunk MC's. Then I remember when all the other P2P programs did the same (iMesh, Kazaa, etc..)

I used to always be on the Warez sites too looking for good FTP servers that would let me max out my 56kbs connection. (H) Downloading games in those days took forever. Thank god for broadband and torrents.

Was it 2001 when we all came to CMBase? Hmm

As you can tell things haven't really changed much, I was as cool then as I am now. I'm sure I'll think of more fascinating things to talk about later.

What he said :)

I think CM-Base started in August/September 2002. So it's now just over 6 years old.

Me and lee also made our own useless crappy warez site and we also had a online wrestling game site for a bit hehe.

Remember Kazaa was filled with songs that were just static

Pfft yeah that sucked... would spend about 40 minutes downloading a song just to hear white noise.

and we also had a online wrestling game site for a bit hehe.

Oh yeah, they were awesome, I used to love those sites. Remember the address at all maybe we could archive.org search it lol

Nah no idea what the address was.

I got the internet in 2001 but went to computer club at school in 2000 and everyones favourite twins were also there turning off everyones computers all the time (or just mine).

I went on wwf.com alot, had about 7 email addresses with another.com, went on dc8p.com quite a bit,

I used Morpheus over Kazaa

Used to get kicked off the internet if the parents needed to use the phone.

I also went on e-feds around that time

Back