Where there's a Neville there's a way

• Thread starter Thread starter MadRo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2K

MadRo

Reaction score
Pulis Resigns as Stoke Boss
In a shock announcement, Tony Pulis today announced his resignation from his role as Stoke City manager. Pulis, 54, said he wanted to leave the club in order to pursue a new challenge. He has been at Stoke since 2006 and his reign has seen the potters reach the premier league and even the FA Cup final last year. His resignation follows rumours of unrest after Stoke Chairman Peter Coates publicly voiced his concerns over Pulis' footballing style. Early favourites for the role include Mick McCarthy, Jurgen Klinnsman, Stuart Pearce and Alex McLeish. Stoke CIty captain Ryan Shawcross said "It's a shame that Tony wanted to leave as he was a very talented manager and someone who I look up to as a person.

In this game I have filled in several of the transfer and staff dealings so far this summer and swapped Reading, Southampton and West Ham with Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton. Hope you enjoy this story!

Last edited:

Klinsmann Rules himself out of Stoke job
Tottenham legend Jurgen Klinsmann has ruled himself out of the Premier League job, which was vacated yesterday by Tony Pulis. Klinsmann, 47, is working as a pundit for the BBC at the Euros while enjoying his international break as the manager of the USA national team. The German played 108 times for his country and managed them at the 2006 world cup where they, as hosts, reached the semi finals. Since then, he has managed Bayern Munich but was sacked in 2009. "I am happy in America at the moment, I don't think I am ready to return to England just yet," This announcement slashed the odds on favourite Mick McCarthy.

Also: All the week's transfer news, England knocked out of Euros by Italy

McCarthy, Pearce, in Stoke talks
By Jim Chaucer
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates today met with three managerial candidates, he revealed to The Knight. Coates went further and informed us that he had spoken to One-time England manager Stuart Pearce, Irish legend Mick McCarthy and a third wannabe who is thought to be recently dismissed manager Harry Redknapp.
"I am honoured by the quality of the CVs I have recieved since Tony left" Coates said but the popular chairman said that he is hopeful of appointing Tony Pulis' successor before the end of the week.

Also: All the week's transfer news and gossip

i like the layout and style as it is like a newspaper but you could get some pics and screenie's also maybe a bit of colour

View attachment 256477Neville Retires aged 35
By Sarah Smith
Phil Neville, the popular Everton captain and former England international, has announced his immediate retirement from playing the game aged 35.
The Right Back played over 500 games across a 17 year-long career for Manchester United and Everton, scoring only 9 times from his ventures into midfield.
Neville follows his older brother Gary, currently working as a match analysis for Sky Sports, into retirement but was quick to state that he still plans to work in the game.
"I'd like to go into coaching" He tweeted earlier. Phil Neville played 273 times for the toffees and was highly praised by both David Moyes and former mentor Sir Alex Ferguson.

Shock decision in Stoke Choice
By Jim Chaucer
View attachment 256478Gary Neville was today announced as the new manager of Stoke City. Replacing Welshman Tony Pulis who resigned on wednesday. The 37 year old was a shock choice by chairman Peter Coates with odds of 136-1 at the bookies on Wednesday evening. As The Knight told you yesterday, Peter Coates interviewed three managerial candidates with the unlucky two being Mick McCarthy and Stuart Pearce as Gary Neville's youth and entusiasm paid off as he signed a two year contract.
Gary has, however, yet to resign from his role as a football analysis for Sky Sports, and that will surely be mentioned at his presentation tommorow at The Britannia Stadium. One appointment that could also intrigue journalists will be the rumours that Gary has already approached younger brother, and recently retired Everton captain, Phil, to be his assistant.
However, though he may have little managerial assistance, Gary has 687 senior games for club and country to call upon as he enters he new position.

1.07.12 Also: Transfer rumours, who to replace Redknapp? and analysis of Spain V Portugal

Gary Neville: The Facts
View attachment 256494View attachment 256495
Name: Gary Alexander Neville
Playing Career: Manchester United: 602 games, 7 goals
England: 85 caps, 0 goals
Former Manchester United Club Captain
Sky Sports pundit (2011-)
England's most capped RB
Over 700,000 followers on twitter
Holds UEFA A and B Coaching licenses
England Coach (2012)

Neville Presented to Press
By Jim Chaucer
Young, entusiastic and talented are the three words destined to follow Neville through these early stages of his managerial career. Gary Neville, 37, was officially presented to various members of the press by Stoke City chairman Peter Coates at the club's Britannia Stadium this morning.
After a short photo session, Neville casually took his seat in the stoke hotseat as questions were directed at him.
"How do you feel to be the new manager of Stoke City?" Was the first. At this Neville smiled and said: "I'm deeply honoured to have been offered this post and am really looking forward to this new stage in my career."
"We have heard rumours that you will approach your younger brother Phil to be your assistant, is this true?"
"No, There's no truth in that ludicrous claim!"
"What is your target for the club over the coming year?" Asked a reporter.
"I think that at a club like this with the current players and facilities we have a good chance at getting into Europe so that will definately be our target for this coming season."
"After taking on this new role, you have chosen not to leave your current post at Sky Sports, can you see this causing any problems?"
Neville laughed again, "I know managers who spend half their time on the golf course but you don't ask them that question! No there won't be any problems with my employers but obviously my screen time for sky will be reduced."
"Are you happy with your current captain, Ryan Shawcross?"
"Well, I haven't met with the players yet but I'm very keen for Ryan to remain in his role as captain of this club." At this point, I raised my hand.
"Mr Coates, firstly, why did you choose Gary over more experienced managers such as Mick McCarthy and Stuart Pearce, and secondly, what sort of money will be available to Gary in terms of signings across the coming season?" Peter Coates took a moment of hesitation before telling me that in his meetings with him Gary showed a display of grit, ambition and passion that Peter wanted to see in his new manager and that Gary Neville will have (barring departures) £10 million to spend on new players.
"Gary, Stoke became well known because of their technique of long ball football, will you be looking to change that?"
"Yeah, definately, I am looking for attractive football played out wide on the floor." With the conference drawing to a close, I raised my hand a second time.
"Gary," I began "Before you, Steve Bruce, Roy Keane, Mark Hughes, Bryan Robson and Paul Ince have all failed to grab attention as managers, do you want to break the tradition and really be as good as your mentor, Sir Alex Ferguson.
"Of Course!"
View attachment 256699View attachment 256700
2.07.12 See also: Euro countdown

Last edited:
Right then, Mister Coates gave me all the numbers after the press conference. A raw tranfer budget of £7 million and a wage budget of 650k a week to get us into the Europa league. Not bad money but I think this squad needs an injection of talented players and fast! Will organise a board meeting tommorow to try and organise a youth setup. But first thing I need to evaluate the squad. Though the presentation went well but with the press you never know!

5 Sackings at Stoke
By Mohit Desrai
5 senior coaching staff members at Stoke City have left the club by mutual consent, it was revealed today. Assistant manager David Kemp, 58, physios Dave Massey and Dave Watson and two unamed coaches have all left in a major upheaval by new manager Gary Neville. Whether or not this is the last staff news we'll hear from the club, we don't know. But Gary is definately taking his new role sireously.

Arrgh!!!! Fixtures for the new season have been announced and first five games Stoke've got Fulham H Everton A Arsenal H Man Utd A Swansea H! Would expect wins against Fulham and Swansea but the others could be difficult. Man Utd away will be difficult but I'm looking forward to returning to Old Trafford. Last match is at home against West Brom, let's hope for a good season!

McGuinness Joins Stoke
By Sarah Smith
Paul McGuinness, a former coach at Manchester United, has been named as Gary Neville's Number 2 at Stoke City. McGuinness, 45, knows Neville well from their time at the club and replaces David Kemp, who left the club yesterday.
5.7.2012 See also: Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves to sign for Stoke City?

Signed!!!!!!!!! Owen Hargreaves has joined us for 10k a week for a year, has suffered from injuries for last couple of years but me and Paul both think he'll come through and be as good as he was for Bayern!
View attachment 256701

Stoke Sign Michael Owen
By Jim Chaucer
Injury hit striker Michael Owen has joined Stoke City on a free transfer. The former England international, 31, said he was delighted to join the club and manager Gary Neville said that he had great respect for his old team-mate.
Michael joins midfielder Owen Hargreaves as Gary Neville's first signings for the club and he hinted that there are more to follow.
"We're currently in talks with a couple more players over possible moves here" said Neville, 37, "These include Niko Kranjcar, Danny Murphy and Hugo Rodellega."
Owen joins on a one year deal.
11.7.2012 See also: How did 'Arry Redknapp end up at Brum? and all the latest transfer gossip
The Knight

As Always I appreciate feedback from you so I can try to improve this story and answer your queries if you have any!!!
MadRo

Okay, here's my transfer dealing so far this summer (20th July)
In:
Owen Hargreaves Free
Michael Owen Free
Chris Gunter (Nottm Forest) £2million
Junior Hoilett Free
Jake Livermore (Spurs) Season Loan
Morten Garmst Pedersen Free
Hugo Rodellega

Out:
Andy Wilkinson (Reading) £4m
Danny Collins (Celtic Loan) 750k
Dean Whitehead (Southampton) £4.5m
Rory Delap (Bristol City) 725k

Neville reveals starting XI for debut match
By Jim Chaucer
Stoke City manager Gary Neville today revealed his starting XI for his first match against Finnish side KuPS in the Europa League 3rd Qualifying round first leg. The 37 year-old was appointed last month following Tony Pulis' resignation and is keen to get of to a good start. The match at the Brittania Stadium tommorow night is expected see a Stoke win. At the press conference ahead of the match, Neville praised his defense and in particular captain Ryan Shawcross.
Starting XI V KuPS: Begovic, Gunter, Huth, Shawcross(c), M.Wilson, Pennant, Livermore, Whelan, Hoilett, Owen, Crouch
My Prediction: Stoke City 4 KuPS 0
26.7.2011 See also: Jol sets Fulham target and Mouse learns to water-ski
The Knight

Owen double sinks KuPS
By Chief football write Jim Chaucer
Gary Neville's managerial career got off to an excellent start as his Stoke City side beat finnish team KuPS 2-0 at the Brittania.
Neville sent out a strong starting Xi and it showed as the Potters dominated possesion and enjoyed 17 shots, with 5 on target.
With the score at 0-0 in the 37th minute. Jake Livermore passed to debutee Michael Owen on the edge of the penalty area who turned and placed his short into the bottom corner.
After half time it was more of the same thing with Michael Owen missing a good oppitunity from a narrow angle 10 minutes in, however, the former Real Madrid hitman then found the net from close range after an excellent cross from Jermaine Pennant. After the second goal KuPS got more into the game but in the end it was Stoke who go ahead in this two-legged tie.
The goalscorerView attachment 256760
See also: Manager sacked for epic bust up and 10 reasons to play tennis
The Knight

Back