Why am I so bad?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mjh1286
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 5K

Mjh1286

Reaction score
I have played the game with four different teams, made good signings and so on but just keep on doing badly. I've been Arsenal and got sacked by Christmas 8th in league having signed Bendar, Bonucci and Destro. I've tried various formations but just can't seem to get any success. Any ideas why I keep going wrong?

Could be a whole bunch of various reasons from Tactics, Squad harmony, Player instructions, touchline instructions if you could provide more like in depth analysis on the formation you play etc I'm sure people on the forum would give great advice, But if you are feeling disheartened why don't you try a big team like PSG. Who don't have the greatest league competition and just try to get to grips with how the games work like functions and stuff start off basic that's what ive done and im enjoying it so far although im Chelsea and not PSG

Thanks I mig try that. I usually try possession football and use a dm but still ship goals in and get beaten by inferior teams. I try to get the, to retain possession and play short passes, closing down etc. my squad were happy last time but just useless! I've set myself up as a motivational manager and even got assistant to run all training but still didn't help much. Any advice would be great.

Same here. I've played FM 11, 12, and 13 and had success with all of them. Skipped 14 and now in this one so far basically nothing I"m doing works....I'm Arsenal too and I just have no idea how the game wants me to play. Can I play control in away games when I am the stronger team? Do I need to use DMs when I am the stronger team? How come my attacking formation yielded 40 shots in a friendly but then only gave me 12 in a real game against a similar team (both games were at home against equally strong teams). Nothing makes any sense or feels consistent so far.

Yes I skipped fm14 too. Before I could build a good team and succeed. In this version I just can't work it out. Even when my team is motivated they still play poorly. At Christmas my to scorers were Destro with 4 and Mertersacker!

A few advices when making tactics:

- I've seen some playing videos that say "I want this style" then tick every thing that there is that can go in that direction. This will make things go to the extremes and extremes rarely are good. In fact, it can get the opposite result to what is intended. Short passing and retain possession and lowest tempo and... may end with your team hoofing the ball immediately: because they've given such settings that when pressed they won't see beyond six yards and if no players are that close they'll just want to get rid of the ball. Let them not keep possession or tell them to make longer passes and then they'll look further for team mates and when under pressure they will look better for them and find them and in consequence keep the ball without hoofing it.

- Football Manager is realistic tactics, not an MMO. This links to the previous. It means you don't go saying "I will set what I have strong to the max and that I have weak dump it". That may not give your strong part so stronger but will leave your weaknesses exposed and in the end make you much weaker. You have to take advantage of your strengths, sure, but you have to work also in compensating or disguising your weaknesses.

- The answer is rarely the first thing that pops to mind before careful consideration of the problem. Taking again the example linked with the first point: if your team is losing the ball often and making too long passes, some times the answer is not to tell them to pass shorter, but let them to look for longer passes. If your team isn't breaking the opposition's defence, maybe going more offensive is not the answer, but more defensive: by going offensive you'll get the ball higher up the pitch with the opposition starting from better defensive positions, by being more defensive and letting them come to you, you can then make counter attacks where their players aren't well placed for defense at the beginning and your speed can actually get the ball up before their defence is organized.

I've noticed a trend in the past 3 years: The less you know about your opposition, the worse your results tend to be.

If you know every player ont he oppositions team, you'll already know what their strongest line up may be and you'll have subconsciously paired or positioned players to counter their strengths.

If you've no idea what you're up against, how can you know what your strongest side to face them is.... ?

Back