Why are World Cups/European Championships so unrealistic in FM?

• Thread starter Thread starter AM32
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3K

AM32

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong thread, but I was managing England recently on FM and I was shocked that Spain were knocked out at the group stages after being beaten by Belarus! This put me off the save. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

It's happened before in Euros and World Cups. Look at Denmark in 1992, France in 2002, Greece in 2004 etc. While I will admit these shocks do happen too much on FM they do occasionally happen in real life.

England win these big tournaments way way too often on my saves, that's the only unrealistic thing. I bet you were shocked yesterday IRL when Holland got beat by Denmark right?

I wasn't :)

Anyway, the world/euro championships are no more unrealistic than anything else in this game

Or the recent Holland loss to Denmark. Holland is all but out of it.

Umm, you do realise its only the first game of the tournament right? Remember what happened at the 2010 World Cup?

Switzerland beat Spain 1-0 in their opening game, and what did Spain go on to do that tournament?

I do find that this is the case, far too many shock results in FM when it comes to international matches/tournaments.

Indeed and it's mainly down to these 2 reasons

- Nationalteams don't get fluid with their tactics
This basically means that the odds evens out between a nation like Croatia and Macedonia, Spain vs Norway , Russia vs Biekrussia etc, jut like the effect how a heavy storm would even out the odds

- many people have the big 4 leagues loaded, leading to that the top players the top nations are exhausted just in time for the tournament, something the players from lesser nations are less likely to be, not playing as much.

Umm, you do realise its only the first game of the tournament right? Remember what happened at the 2010 World Cup?

Switzerland beat Spain 1-0 in their opening game, and what did Spain go on to do that tournament?

Holland also lost to Bulgaria just before the tournament. And trust me, that's quite a feat.
Holland won't be a factor in this tournament

I just completed the Euro's with Scotland, now apart from us being there which I can admit would never happen, it was all your regluar teams at the quarter final stage.

France
Holland
Croatia
England
Germany
Spain
Portugal
Scotland (me)

I understand people may jump out and say, that Scotland's unreal which I see your point on, but I was the manager. So that make's the difference.

Realistic enough for me, despite France beating England 5-0 in the quarter finals. LOL! :)

Realistic enough for me, despite France beating England 5-0 in the quarter finals. LOL! :)

LOL!? I'd have held that comment until after tomorrow night, if England get an early goal France will fight and probably win 2-1 (like Iceland), if France get an early goal, England will collapse and I could see a 3-0 scoreline for France....so we'll wait and see. :p

Holland also lost to Bulgaria just before the tournament. And trust me, that's quite a feat.
Holland won't be a factor in this tournament

But Holland did also lose to Bulgaria before the European Cup in '88 and lost their first tournament that year, what did they do? Indeed, they won.

True, but then again: Spain didn't face Portugal and Germany afterwards.

In a game I was doing, Cameroon reached the world cup final, only to lose to England on penalties.

Back