Why did I not qualify from this group of death?!

adrianginger

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Really struggling to work out how I didn't qualify here. Ive read through the rules and can't seem to figure it out. Obviously I feel extremely hard done by after doing very well in a difficult group.

It would be really nice to see if anyone can answer this because I can't figure it out, I've often wondered what would happen if this situation came up but I've never seen it before.

You should finish above Bayern on Head to Head record but Bayern should finish above Real Madrid on Head to Head record and Real should finish above you on Head to Head record.

It doesn't have a natural outcome as far as I can see. And you're obviously beating Bayern on all the other methods of sorting too, more GD, more goals scored.

The ONLY thing I can see is that it mentions in the rules that one of the last methods of sorting is "coefficient", I'm assuming that's what they've used to sort it. Makes sense that Real's is the best so they get first, followed by Bayern and then you. That's a TERRIBLE way to sort the teams but it's the only way I can see the rankings here making sense.

Whats the GD for each if you remove the Pizen games and make it a 3 team table?

That could possible be it. If Pizen were removed the table would be

Madrid +1
Bayern 0
Everton -1

Incredibly frustrating though, seeing as I beat Bayern over 2 games. Doesn't seem like the best system!

That could possible be it. If Pizen were removed the table would be

Madrid +1
Bayern 0
Everton -1

Incredibly frustrating though, seeing as I beat Bayern over 2 games. Doesn't seem like the best system!

Yep if equal points..

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
b) superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
c) higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
d) higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;

Read more: http://www.footballseeding.com/details/champions-league-format/