Why do my three centre mids keep running forward

Reaction score
I am currently playing as glasgow celtic in the spl and play 4-5-1 rigid with attack

View attachment 287541
my problem is im trying to play possession football which my team doesnt have a problem with as i seem to dominate this but my 3 centre mids tend to all just run forward when my defenders have the ball and dont offer short option. i would like my two centre mids to offer short and my ap to venture forward.

View attachment 287557View attachment 287558View attachment 287560

it doesnt matter if i change from attack to standard they still all run ahead of the ball. any help would be much appreciated

I am currently playing as glasgow celtic in the spl and play 4-5-1 rigid with attack

View attachment 287541
my problem is im trying to play possession football which my team doesnt have a problem with as i seem to dominate this but my 3 centre mids tend to all just run forward when my defenders have the ball and dont offer short option. i would like my two centre mids to offer short and my ap to venture forward.

View attachment 287557View attachment 287558View attachment 287560

it doesnt matter if i change from attack to standard they still all run ahead of the ball. any help would be much appreciated

you have probably got "counter attack" on

and do you play fluid or very fluid?

Last edited:
do you play fluid or very fluid? you would be better off putting a DMC or anchor man in between defence and midfield if you think that they dont link up well. he will act as a link with short passing and will also bolster up your defense. if you dont want to do that. you will probably7 have to reduce his mentality. but i would recomend an anchor man in terms of the description you made of what you are looking for. playing with "triangles" is also better for posession football than playing flat lines of players, more passing options, both up and down the field, otherwise you will play only horizontally when in the middle of the pitch.

i play rigid you should need to play with an anchor man to have triangles im trying to create that with the formation i have thats y i want two of them to offer short. i have tryed putting them both on defensive mentality but they still just run ahead of the ball.

i play rigid you should need to play with an anchor man to have triangles im trying to create that with the formation i have thats y i want two of them to offer short. i have tryed putting them both on defensive mentality but they still just run ahead of the ball.

thats very strange

thank you for ur help i think have got it i had them both set to roam from position taken it off and now seems to be working fine

Back