Why is it that we have to pay double the price for players than the CPU?

Van Tournhout

Reaction score
Alright, so in one of my saves - Demba Ba is signed from newcastle to Tottenham for a fee of £7,000,000 at the first summer transfer window.

Now, ive previously tried to sign him and Newcaslte have been wanting pretty much double that figure. Usually around £12 - £14 million.

It's not just this time, it's nearly every player. Cristian Erikson - £13million? I said no, not paying that then he gets sold for £5million to PSG!

Another example is in one of my games I attempted to sign Pablo Aimar, but lost out to AC Milan through contracct deals or whatever, which is fair enough. The offer accepted was £5.5million.

In a new save I attempted to sign him, I offered his valuation, it got rejected. I then offered £4, before adventually offering £5.5million again, but this time they come back to me and say they want £12million! What the ****?

Sometimes I really do think Football Managers prices are so far off it's unbelievable. I mean if they put down a valuation of a player of between £4 - £6million. How the **** can a club turn around and say they want £30 - £40 million for him?! I mean sure ask for a bit more than his valuation if you dont want rid of him, or your wanting profit but ten times the valuation?!! Get real.

What's your opinions on Football Managers transfer valuations and bids/offers. Personally I think it's something they need to alter for FM13.

PA will play a huge part. If you have a player valued at 4M, but he has a PA of 190+ the team is not going to want to sell him on the cheap for 6-8M.

I do agree that some players tend to get sold to other teams for less than your bids, but there are hidden attributes and "feelings" that will affect things like that.

If it's a key player/indespansible, you'll ALWAYs have to pay full whack, just like IRL. Especially if the person in charge of a club (like Ashley), is a business. They'll always want top dollar for someone. Just have to suck it up. Want the player? Stump up or look elsewhere simple as I'm afraid.

this ****** me off all the time! Hope they will fix this **** in FM13.
**** the feelings and hidden attributes, these things are unrealistic.

//the problem is not with the high prices, the problem is when the club demands 20m for a player which is too expensive and I withdrawn from the deal, the immediately sell him to another club for ******* 8m :S

Yes this is something that has greatly frustrated me on many occasions. In general, there are many wacky and unrealistic things in this game involving finances. A prime example:
Tevez was ending the last year of his contract for me at age 30, he had been on a 14.5 mil per year (US dollars) contract, the most on my team (Juventus). At that point he wasn't even a regular starter for me as he would usually play well but would very rarely score or get assists. I still would have been happy paying him the same amount for another season or two, but no, he wanted a ridiculous 22.5 mil per year (which would have made him one of the highest paid players in the world, and he was about to turn 31!). The agent would not budge and the most I could offer was about 15, so I had to let him go. Of course my board was disappointed to see a player like that be released.
I checked back on him about a month later, to find that he had signed with Boca in the Argentinean league for 1.5 per year, less than 10% of what I had been offering him.
WTF???

The Tevez situation makes a sort of sense. After all, he has been whining for the past 2 years about going back to Argentina. "Hometown" discount and all that.

I don't really see how it's that unrealistic. If a club knows that you have money or you really want the player, they will try to bleed you dry (Robinho to Man City, Berbatov to Man Utd). There also may be other incentives in the deal, maybe a player exchange, future fees, etc. Even the times you try to buy them. Teams are sometimes more willing to sell cheaper near the transfer deadline, sometimes it's the opposite.

Valuations are fairly okay to me. I thought they were ridiculous at one point, until I started producing my own talent and all the big clubs were trying to come in with 7-9 mil offers. I wanted 25mil :P I guess when you have talented players you would really want to jeep them.

Don't look at the player's value. They are merely the evaluation of how good and how famous a player is, not the value you can buy him with
Young players with high PA will be a lot more expensive than their value shows
Players who are regards as indispensable will be 2-5 times his actual value depend on his age, his fame, his contract time left, how many clubs interest in him and how much he wants to move to your team compare to other teams.
Players who are regards as important first team will usually be 1.5-3 times his value also depend on the same factors.
Players who only regarded as rotation or back up but are actually ****** good and famous will also be more expensive than his value.

If you want a star player cheap, the best way is to kiss his *** on consistent basis until he feels unsettle and want a move (if your club is a lot less famous than his current club or do not win much title recently, or if the player is someone like Steven Gerrad, this won't work). Then wait until his contract run out and get him cheaply or for free. The CPU clubs probably do this

It's annoying, they set an asking price that's reasonable yet when you offer that amount they don't accept it.

If the player, after your refusal to pay, has become disgruntlet and they've been offering them, there will be a considerable lowering of the asking price and if nobody takes the first offer, eventually it will keep getting lower and they can get to be really cheap. Had you suscribed to their news to be aware of that?

Also, when a team accepts bids by other teams they always accept one equal from me. Once or twice they even accepted one slightly lower.

I think the saying "Every player has his price" is very applicable to this...

A team are unlikely to want to sell a player unless they are transfer listed, but every player has his price... So, the "ridiculous" fees are ones that the club would be forced to accept as the offer is just too good. You want a player, you pay the price.

The valuations are not the problem to me as others have stated. It is the ridiculousness of it all. Like the poster above, I had a player for 2300/wk, want his new contract to be 6500/wk when he really hadn't done anything and I couldn't afford to offer more than 4800/wk. I let him go on a free and after a few months find him on another team for....500/wk!! BUT, I've never been able to sign a guy for 500/wk with any talent at all. To make it fair, I should have bargains as well.

One other beef I have that is related is when one of my players says they want to play for a bigger club and then ultimately chooses a team in a bigger city who is way worse than I am. Had a stud force his leave on me with a minimum contract release fee and ended up going to a team that paid him WAY less than I was going to pay him and then got relegated and had to trade him. He would've had way more recognition and money if he had just stayed with me.

The valuations are not the problem to me as others have stated. It is the ridiculousness of it all. Like the poster above, I had a player for 2300/wk, want his new contract to be 6500/wk when he really hadn't done anything and I couldn't afford to offer more than 4800/wk. I let him go on a free and after a few months find him on another team for....500/wk!! BUT, I've never been able to sign a guy for 500/wk with any talent at all. To make it fair, I should have bargains as well.

One other beef I have that is related is when one of my players says they want to play for a bigger club and then ultimately chooses a team in a bigger city who is way worse than I am. Had a stud force his leave on me with a minimum contract release fee and ended up going to a team that paid him WAY less than I was going to pay him and then got relegated and had to trade him. He would've had way more recognition and money if he had just stayed with me.

You can have a private chat about reducing salary demands with a player

my burnley save im in 2030 and ive got cash to burn, i was looking for a replacement supporting cm n found a greek guy who plays for real madrid i kept my eye on him and asked my scouts to check him out n they came back with reserve games for the whole season so i decided to make an offer he was valued at 15 mill so i started at 20 mill with a few bonuses for league apps n goals they rejected i negotiated all the way up to 48 mill which would have smashed my record buy by quite abit they came back eventually sayin they will settle for a deal STARTING at 245 mill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a reserve player who they didnt even play so i rejected a week later psg sign him for 35 mill :( its stupid happens all the time

Also, when a team accepts bids by other teams they always accept one equal from me. Once or twice they even accepted one slightly lower.

Like Death Ball says, you can match an accepted bid on a player and the chances are it will be accepted.

Back