CongressTart

Reaction score
I'm currently in January of my 4th season and have a lot of high profile players in their late 20's or early 30's that I can offer a contract to. Players such as Benzema, Kaka, Villa, Ronaldo Ribery a few more.

I don't want to sign them to play them as I like having a younger squad but thinking about getting them and then selling them for a profit in the summer after they join.
Does anyone else do this? Is it actually worth doing?

Not really worth it because they will want a big sign on fee and wages and this will offset any profit you hope to make selling them. Dont sign them unless they will get some games as it isnt going to make much money

It is difficult to move on older players, especially those who would command such high wages. Simply put, you'll find it way too hard to find a buyer to justify the expense of those players. Go for it with 18-25 year olds, but once they hit over 28, it's hard to move them on.

Easiest way to make money on players is by signing young players who have been released.. There seem to be loads on FM12, so just look for them. Old players will ask for massive wages and signing fee's and probably won't get you more than a few million, wasting your time.

I recently signed Fabianski on a free after his contract had expired and sold him on for £3.5m in the following January window. Done it a couple of times on this game.

1) you cant buy free players, you can only sign them :)

2) 50% of my new players I sign on the free, if not more!

3) if they are not fitting in or playing that well in pre-season (or if I sign to many) I loan them out for the season, get a few hundred k (well sometimes they dont want to leave but then I send them to feeder club's) get their wages paid in full and sell them off the next year for a huge profit!

As Andy said, the older players like Ronaldo, Kaka etc will ask for exorbitent wages so I would stay away from them as it will be hard to sell them off at a later stage