Why won't Steam let me play this game anymore?

• Thread starter Thread starter Vance77
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 5K

Vance77

Reaction score
Having always preferred to play FM without the third-party of Steam, this has absolutely infuriated me.

For a start, every time I turn on my computer and Steam opens, it spends about five to ten minutes updating itself. First off, does anyone know how to stop this?

The main problem is that now, all of a sudden, when I click the 'Play' button for Football Manager 2012, I get the following pop up:

"Validating Steam cache files (0 of 1)...
Validating Football Manager 2012 files (1 of 1)."

The I get this pop up:
"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request...
please try again in a few minutes."

Can anyone help me around this issue as I see it as pretty ridiculous that I'm not allowed to play the game I purchased legally?

Many thanks.

1. click the steam icon in the bottom right of your screen and choose 'settings'. Then choose the 'interface' tab and de-select the box 'Run steam when my computer starts'.
2. It is likely there is a huge number of people downloading the new patch/buying the game/playing the game right now. I'm sure it will start working either later tonight or tomorrow when the traffic has decreased

It is still happening and I'm absolutely furious. Anyone any ideas on how to get around this stupid Steam bug?

Many thanks.

Also... there could just be something that's gone wrong. Here are a few other strange things that are happening that could signify something is wrong (either with Steam, my connection, etc):

• Steam keeps updating itself every time I switch on my computer (I'm on a Mac running on Lion, Steam is set to automatically start). It takes about five minutes and the update is always successful. Then Steam loads.
• When I click the 'Play' button after Steam loads, it says 'validating files'... then it tells me it has successfully validated the files... and then immediately I get this error message:
"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request...
please try again in a few minutes."
• Also, when in the Library tab, underneath the search bar, it says "Football Manager 2012 - Download Starti...', although it never actually changes and never actually downloads.
• When I click 'Check for Updates', it starts an update on 39.15MB but it always gets to about 34-36MB but suddenly reverts to 0-22MB

So listed there are a few strange things that are happening that maybe could be causing this problem? The only one that doesn't concern me is the first bullet point 'cause I've experienced this for about a month and I've never had any problems other than the fact I've had to wait five or so minutes before Steam loads and allows me to play the game.

Also, I have just reconfigured my internet settings slightly so maybe it's possible that this has caused a problem (although the internet is working absolutely fine), and also there has been a patch released (hence the third bullet point).

I probably should have listed these in my original post but in my frustration I just wanted a quick fix!

So, can anyone help me, or at least guide me in the direction of help?

Many thanks in advance.

verify your game cache. It should fix your issue and start the update properly

Hi,

I m experiencing the same prob with my FM.i m using macbook air os lion as well,it shows d same thing as u,download starting,but i dun see any movement of the downloading file.den when i click play,it also shows tat the server is busy.
Fyi:i jus bought the game last week.can someone help.thks.

Have u fix ur prob alr?i m still unable to play with the same issue.

No, it's still doesn't work.

Brian, it didn't work mate. Any other ideas?

By the way, I verified the cache and defragmented, and now it has started to download but hasn't moved past 0% in ten minutes.

The internet is working fine, though.

Any ideas?

Back