Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I never really know whether to play wide or narrow. I sometimes think when I'm leading by a few goals that maybe I should play wide, stretch the game, try to keep hold of the ball and make the opposition do all the chasing. But then I always start to doubt myself because you play narrow to keep games tight, so maybe keeping it tight will stop the opposition from playing and getting an equaliser. So then sometimes if I'm losing but doing a lot of attacking but not getting through I switch to playing wide to stretch the game and open up their defence. So basically I keep contradicting myself and usually keep it narrow to be on the safe side. Any advice?

Girls like it wide, not narrow.....

Narrow is what 90% of teams are weak against, so start there mate :)

Depends if your using a formation with wingers in it, if you have a striker thats good in the air it is always a good idea playing with width and wingers set to float crosses.

Generally I think if your trying to protect a lead it is a good idea to go narrow, but if your still trying to play on the counter, then width is a good thing.

I thought if I was winning against a team and cruising I could play wide, give my players more space to past the ball around, and make the opposition do all the chasing and wear them down. Obviously if I lose the ball this could backfire.

I thought if I was winning against a team and cruising I could play wide, give my players more space to past the ball around, and make the opposition do all the chasing and wear them down. Obviously if I lose the ball this could backfire.

I do agree that is a possibility to try out, I was just saying if your winning by the odd goal against a strong team, then playing narrow is a good idea.

I've always been a fan of playing it wide, and down the wings. But if you don't have any good wide players, or players who can't run/cross well, its a bit pointless. In my opinion, if a team your playing against goes down to 10 men, I'd play the game wide, to stretch that team and eventually burn them out.

I feel that playing narrow will keep the possession better... at least for me :)

I feel that playing narrow will keep the possession better... at least for me :)

But won't that also mean it will be easier for the opposition to close you down and win the ball? Basically I think if you're playing against a better team you should play narrow, so you give them less space. The only problem I can see with that is it also gives your own players less space.

A lot also depends on your ground and pitch size. I play the maximum possible at pitch size at home, and therefore a wide tactic suits me. But when my team is traveling, a lot of the pitches are small and it's frustrating and useless to play wide, so I just make a shout and ask my players to play narrower , instead of completely changing the tactic. I also use another tactic when the pitch is both short and narrow.

Normal Tactic ( Wide and Long Pitch)

ST

ML MC MC MC MR

DL DC DC DR

Short and Narrow Pitch :

ST
AMC AMC
MC MC MC
DM
DC DC DC

Normally I look at the opposition, depending on who it is. If Its a team that keeps the ball well I play narrow to tighten the gap for them to play in. If it's a team that prefer to play long balls and play two centre midfielders so like a 442 I play 451 with wide wingers.

when playing a narrow formation, passing tend to be better and wont get cut out as often as when playing your players far apart and therefore able to keep the possession better... In another words it means high pass accuracy!

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

But won't that also mean it will be easier for the opposition to close you down and win the ball? Basically I think if you're playing against a better team you should play narrow, so you give them less space. The only problem I can see with that is it also gives your own players less space.

Sorry my previous post was referring to this..

when playing a narrow formation, passing tend to be better and wont get cut out as often as when playing your players far apart and therefore able to keep the possession better... In another words it means high pass accuracy!

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Sorry my previous post was referring to this..

Yeah that's what I mean. It's like IRL when you have say Chelsea v Man Utd, both teams will start off tight, making closing down quicker and giving the opposition less time on the ball. In these games you often see a very scrappy game with both teams surrendering the ball often. So you're saying passing is simplar because your players are closer, but surely the opposition will find it easier to making passing more difficult for you. I'm not arguing, like I say I always start with a narrow formation, I just want to work this out. Last night I was 2-0 up after 25 mins and they were down to 10 men after about 30mins, so I thought I'd experiement with playing wide in hope of retaining the ball and tiring the opposition out. The opposition got one goal back so I decided to abort the experiment and resorted to playing narrow. They got another for a draw. I wasn't happy!