Wide play

• Thread starter Thread starter liusong427
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 5K

liusong427

Reaction score
Could someone please explain how the wide play instruction affects the player on the pitch? Is it an instruction for player with ball, off ball or both of them? Only affects on the side of pitch or anywhere on the pitch? Thanks!

Could someone please explain how the wide play instruction affects the player on the pitch? Is it an instruction for player with ball, off ball or both of them? Only affects on the side of pitch or anywhere on the pitch? Thanks!

It effects your whole team when attacking, regardless of who has the ball. It basically means that your wide players will stick to the touchline more, and your team in general will look to pass it out wide.

If you are using short passing, playing wide will create more space and give you players more passing options. If you like to lob the ball up to a big target man, then playing narrower will mean there are more players arround him to knock the ball onto :)

The Wide play effects a single player when your team is in possession of the ball.

With the ball( the player has the ball)
Cut Inside, Huge the touchline

Off the Ball( his teammate has the ball)
Move Into channels.

It effects your whole team when attacking, regardless of who has the ball. It basically means that your wide players will stick to the touchline more, and your team in general will look to pass it out wide.

If you are using short passing, playing wide will create more space and give you players more passing options. If you like to lob the ball up to a big target man, then playing narrower will mean there are more players arround him to knock the ball onto :)
Well thank you for replying me, but i think you misunderstand my meaning. your answer is about width of team on the pitch. i want to know the meaning of wide play in player instruction.

The Wide play effects a single player when your team is in possession of the ball.

With the ball( the player has the ball)
Cut Inside, Huge the touchline

Off the Ball( his teammate has the ball)
Move Into channels.
i slightly adoubt about your answer, if my player is instructed to move into channels and is with ball, how will he play? what does normal mean?

Well thank you for replying me, but i think you misunderstand my meaning. your answer is about width of team on the pitch. i want to know the meaning of wide play in player instruction.

Oops sorry :/ :(

i slightly adoubt about your answer, if my player is instructed to move into channels and is with ball, how will he play? what does normal mean?

The wide play " move into channels" does not effect a players behaviour when he has the ball, simple as that

.In short, it's not about how each and every players should behave all the time, but how some players should be to make sure they use the most of their stats and play to their role.

-Like a wide player with great crossing and acceleration, them why not let him huge the touchline to make sure he can use his stats to his best and really put in those crosses

-Like an Inside Forward and an Wide Advanced playmaker, here, the inside FC should cut Inside with the ball on his correct foot to go straight at goal and the advanced playmaker should cut inside to make a T-Ball instead of crossing.

-Like and Advanced FC stretching the defence by constant movement, moving Into channels.

So you see, its not about telling the playere exactly how to behave all the time but instead, how certain roles are actually set up.

Last edited:
Back