otonk88

Reaction score
Hello all..
I want to ask about wide play..
what is the difference about moving channel and hug touchline?i'm still confused which wide play I use for my winger..
Thanks before..

Hugs touchline - stay wide all the time - good crossers(Beckham perhaps)
Cuts inside - wingers will cut in to the middle often -Inside forwards( Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi,Henry,Pedro)
Moves into channels - the player will naturally wander wide to pick up the ball.
i saw these explanations in another forum, hope it helps

Left footed winger on right wing and vice versa = cuts inside. A good candidate to be set as "moves into channel" is a player with high off the ball attribute. "Hugs touchline" means a traditional winger, player with good creativity and crossing attributes.

if good with dribbling but average with crossing,which style must I use?
still hug touchline?thanks..

crossers hug touchline . beckham, riera,joaquin. pure crossers

Beckham Hug Touchline??? Well I think, that Becks is better of with Move into channels. He is soo multiskilled, that he can do anything with the ball and do it good - and yes one of them is crossing. Except if you have Crouch/Zigic in the box, then I would just as weel prefer Beck to get the ball as often as possible, therefore move into channels. It is very easy to close down a Hug touchline starplayer, if you man-mark him. Becks through balls are among the best in the world. His long shots the same.... To sum up, Let becks have the ball as much as possible if he is a star player for your team. Use move into channels or playmaker, not hug touchline.....

Beckham move into channels??? He is far too slow and unskilled to beat the full backs. Beckham at his age is better of playing centre mid

so if i have winger with good dribbling,good pace mininal 16 or 17 but average at crossing(15 or 14),i prefer move into channel rather than hug touchline?is that right?
thanks before..

16 or 17 is good pacer, crossing(15 or 14) is not bad, i will prefere make him hug touchline, to make him act as winger. but you still need to look your forward, is your striker good to receive crossed ball???

Hug touchline: player stays between fullbacks and touchline. how close to touchline depends on how wide your team is instructed to play in 'team settings.' Players set like this are easier to mark but stretch the opposition defense and help create space for strikers and runners from midfield. I find this setting is equally effective with faster dribblers and with slow crossers (i.e. Beckham).

Cuts inside: player will run perpendicular to the touch line. Use with players with their stronger foot inside (i.e. left footed on right wing.) Works well with one striker, with more static midfielders (less forward runs from central mid positions) and with attacking fullback support for overlapping runs. Using this with 2 strikers and lots of forward runs from midfield will see too many attacking players in the same area of the pitch and leave less space to break through the defense. (Think Real Madrid: Ronaldo moves inside to shoot and Marcelo overlaps to provide width. CMs stay deep and out of Ronaldo's way).

Moves into channels: player moves into space between CB and FB. Ideal for AMC playmakers and strikers. Face strikers will use space to beat fullbacks and strong strikers will use space to win uncontested headers. If you use this and no other wide-play settings your team will have less width. Works well with forward runs from CM.

Hope this helps. Remember that wide play is mostly about stretching the defense so having either a winger or fullback on each flank making runs and hugging the touchline is going to create a lot of space even if the player never touches the ball.