lorangbiter

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a problem with the wide players' defending.
I have Hazard in Advanced playmaker attack at AML and oscar as a winger-support at AMR.
both arent tracking back to create a second bank of 4 along side ramires and mikel, I tried lowering theyr creative freedom to normal and one notch before high, and also lowered theyr mentality to one notch above the middle. But still, they arent tracking back right away, and ramires and mikel are running all over the place leaving huge gaps all over the pitch.
Any advice will be appreciated :D

If you like them to get behind the ball, then you need players with high team work, work rate, aling with an even lower mentality. You also need to assign them to man mark the opponents fullbacks

The classic scenario is to have them on a slightly too high mentality, having players that lack in those crucial stats and having them on tight zonal marking- Here, yhou will have players that dont track back but instead run around in triangels trying to close down dowth DCs, DMcs and Fbs.

Also like stated above, AMR/L are counted as forwards or really advanced players. There are not supposed to get behind the ball as the formation one pickes is the one that defines the Defensive shape, not the attacking. The major flaw in the game is not this, bnut the fact that too few AMR/L are competent and naturall in the MR/L positions as well.

Last edited:
If you like them to get behind the ball, then you need players with high team work, work rate, aling with an even lower mentality. You also need to assign them to man mark the opponents fullbacks

The classic scenario is to have them on a slightly too high mentality, having players that lack in those crucial stats and having them on tight zonal marking- Here, yhou will have players that dont track back but instead run around in triangels trying to close down dowth DCs, DMcs and Fbs.

Also like stated above, AMR/L are counted as forwards or really advanced players. There are not supposed to get behind the ball as the formation one pickes is the one that defines the Defensive shape, not the attacking. The major flaw in the game is not this, bnut the fact that too few AMR/L are competent and naturall in the MR/L positions as well.

I'll try setting them to man mark the fullbacks. Theyr mentality is already just one notch ahead of the middle, so isnt it too low for AMR&AML?

Also, how would you suggest me to set up my defence with chelsea?
My line-up is this:
Peter Cech
Azpilicueta - Terry - Cahil - Cole
------------- Mikel -----------------
------------- Ramires -------------
Oscar ------ Mata --------- Hazard
------------- Papiss Cisse --------

Thanks for your help!

I'll try setting them to man mark the fullbacks. Theyr mentality is already just one notch ahead of the middle, so isnt it too low for AMR&AML?

Also, how would you suggest me to set up my defence with chelsea?
My line-up is this:
Peter Cech
Azpilicueta - Terry - Cahil - Cole
------------- Mikel -----------------
------------- Ramires -------------
Oscar ------ Mata --------- Hazard
------------- Papiss Cisse --------

Thanks for your help!

In my opinion, the formation is flawed by nature, its just too stretched. I would probably beat this tactic 5-0 if facing you in an online game. Why not use 2 DMCs so that they get closer to the flanks. ... or... push up the DMc into MC and raise the d-line

As for the mentality, they are on a normal mentality for a wingforward, hence they are attacking. If wanting them track back, you need to play them on a defensive mentality

In my opinion, the formation is flawed by nature, its just too stretched. I would probably beat this tactic 5-0 if facing you in an online game. Why not use 2 DMCs so that they get closer to the flanks. ... or... push up the DMc into MC and raise the d-line

As for the mentality, they are on a normal mentality for a wingforward, hence they are attacking. If wanting them track back, you need to play them on a defensive mentality

lol, let's not play online together than :p

I'm kinda new to the game and all, so I'll take your advice anyway. Should I play a high D-line and high pressing or normal line with normal pressing? I'm not quite sure about the pace of my Cb's as Terry is VERY slow and cahil is decent.

I'm kinda new to the game and all, so I'll take your advice anyway. Should I play a high D-line and high pressing or normal line with normal pressing? I'm not quite sure about the pace of my Cb's as Terry is VERY slow and cahil is decent.

It depends on the situation. If you are up against a team that have really pacey FCs and/or AMR/L and they are playing direct balls into channels, then you need to play with a lower d-line. If up against a team sitting deep against you, a team that is struggling with possession and hit balls up top a strong Target man, then its better to use a high d-line and close him down/always so that he is unable to linkup his teammates by holding on to the ball, in short, not letting him have any space at all.

What I tend to do is have 2-3 tactics based on the same/similar formation that my team learn so I can rotate between them depending on who I play.
Like TBH said teams that are more physical and like to have big men up front I use the one that has the pushed up D-line and and increased pressing. Stops him having more space to play people in and the higher pressing from your players can force them to play it quickly which they're usually not used to doing and force more mistakes.

Teams that like to counter attack a lot more with pacey wingers/forwards I drop my D-line deeper and stand off a little more. Helps prevent them getting behind you and leaving you completely open at the back.

Third one I usually have is a deeper D-line than the first but with high pressing and harder tackling, tend to use it against teams that play possession football.

Put the amrl to specific mark the opposition DRL like after the game starts.
But if it ruins your attack,go to OIs and put never tightly mark on the fullbacks.They should be in and around the Fullbacks but not too close,even letting them go attack at times.
Also,turn on their roam as that might help them get space if they are specific marking.