• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 127
  • Views Views 21K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
Prologue

My name is Andy. Typical bloke who loves football-massive Everton fan of 29 years. Nothing major going on in my life. Live in Newcastle by myself following a failed relationship. Just me and my love for football. I also hold an FA Level 2 coaching badge-and now I await an opportunity to achieve a life long ambition. Managing a football club. I didn't care how big the club, or where. I knew I could do it, all I needed was that chance. But finding a job in managing a club, is like looking for a job full stop. ****** hard. But it's harder in football. When a chairman gives you that chance, he's taking a big gamble, regardless of who you are. So they have to be absolutely certain, one thousand per cent certain, you can deliver.

Because basically, it's more than the club that's being gambled on. It's livelihoods too. All the staff are involved. Players, coaches, even as far down as the cleaners. If you take charge of a club, and things go badly and end up being relegated, it affects everybody. And it can effect the area outside of football too. And given how badly things are in football right now, in and outside the club, it is a major gamble.

But I was confident I could deliver. I knew everything I needed to know about management now. And I knew a lot about the basics of football before I took up the course. I may sound arrogant...perhaps I am. Looking back in hindsight it was a confident arrogance. I felt that if a club gave me the chance, I could deliver the goods. If I had to I would start at community level clubs. Which is harder than it sounds. Clubs at level are folding at an alarming rate. Costs cripple them, and there's also the number of dropouts too. Things are very tough all the way from the top level all the way to the bottom.

But the worst part of getting into management-is you're new blood. If you can't get a management job, how are you supposed to get the experience? So you've got to go all out to convince the board, the players, the fans, the press that you're good enough to assume the responsibility-no matter how much you know about football. Even if you know you can do it, you have to convince everyone at the club. Like being a telesales agent. Phoning up people you don't know, and trying to convince them that the product you're trying to sell them, is in their best interest. It's ****** hard. And you have to be determined, patient and confident enough to convey that message.

Fortunately, I had been a telesales agent before, and knew the best way to sell myself. I had excelled myself in telesales. Obviously, this would be a totally different scenario. But I knew I could do it. But could I cut it as a manager? Read on and I'll tell you my story.........................

Good opening post! Hopefully this one doesn't end up like the previous one :P

Good opening post! Hopefully this one doesn't end up like the previous one :P

Not this time lol. Had no idea the cup structure in the DB I used in the last one was totally askew. Having more than 10 FA cup rounds is just no way lol. So sticking with the default DB to avoid any future problems

Any hints as to where your story begins to unfold?

i like the title of this thread ajt. looking forward to the story :)

i like the title of this thread ajt. looking forward to the story :)

Tbh I was enjoying the last one a lot as it was a proper footballing grass roots thing-was a shame to leave it. But it was pointless continuing as the DB was just too unrealistic, and I don't know enough about editing to change things.

Breakthrough

I sat back on the couch and exhaled a deep breath, then took a deep breath from a cigarette. The application for the vacancy was away. All I could now was wait. And I hated waiting-I wasn't the most patient of people it has to be said. It was a family trait. My father was worse though. I had applied for jobs before, and kept checking e-mails on an hourly basis afterward. I couldn't help it. I was desperate to do something and show what I was capable of. Basically realise a dream I had for such a long time now.

The managerial market was very quiet though. Clubs had already made changes staff wise all over the league. Even local clubs had nothing going. Or clubs that once were, were no more. So the prospects at the moment were very limited. Still, I was hopeful. If you don't have a bit of hope, you may aswell resign yourself to defeat and give up hope. So all I could do was cross my fingers and wait for a reply and hope for the best. I would keep my phone on 24/7 just in case.

It had been just over 24 hours since I had applied for the vacancy, and still hadn't heard anything. But in the footballing world, it didn't mean I had been unsuccessful. When clubs have a vacancy, they have to be very careful with selection. And as I didn't have any experience, I wouldn't be top of the pile, so they would have to go through the list of experienced managers. And it can be a long list to go through too-same as any job vacancy. As I've mentioned already, there's a lot at stake when appointing a manager.

I was about to head out to the town, when the phone rang.

"Hello?" I asked picking up my boots.

"Is that Andrew?" asked the woman.

"It is yes. Who's calling?"

"I'm calling on behalf of David Keyte, regarding your application for the current vacancy. Mr. Keyte would like to meet with you to discuss further the vacancy. Would it possible for you to attend a formal interview tomorrow at one o'clock?" There was a thud as I dropped my boots onto the floor.

"That would be great yes. Not a problem." I was shaking with excitement.

"Excellent. We'll e-mail you the details about getting here in the next few minutes. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate in getting back in touch. Thankyou for your time."

And that was that. My first interview. And it would be for next day. I had a lot of planning to do and not much time.

27582.jpg

Next day, when I got off the train at Hereford, I wasn't nervous. Just tremondously excited. In less than an hour, I would have my very first managerial interview. And I simply could not wait. But I remembered what people say about interviews. The first 7 seconds decide wether or not you get it. But at the same time, I figured this is a very different situation. But either way, I had to remain cool and collected. But also I had to make sure I didn't try to oversell myself. I had done that before in interviews and it had backfired spectacularly.

IMG_3622.jpg

I paid the taxi driver his fare, then stopped out into the glorious sunshine, slamming the door shut. I adjusted my tie and jacket, took a deep breath, then walked toward the stadium. I informed the secretary of my appointment, took a seat......then waited. I looked at the clock. 12:52 pm. I wiped the sweat from my forehead. Then I noticed a man dressed smartly in a business suite standing directly in front of me. Where the **** did he suddenly appear from?! I asked myself. I stood up.

keyte.jpg

"Hi Andrew, glad to see you made it here." he said shaking my hand firmly. I smiled.

"Surprised I made it here on time to be honest Mr. Keyte." I replied with a smile. "First time I've ever been here." He smiled.

"Yes, I've read your details. Bit of a seasoned traveller aren't we?" I laughed a little.

"You could say that yes." I replied. He beckoned towards the stairs.

"Well, if you can follow me, you can tell me more, and I'll go into more details about the vacancy." I followed David to begin the interview. We entered a room, and he beckoned me to sit down, offering a coffee.

"So Andrew. You're applying to be manager of the club. But you have no experience at all. Why would I want to give the job to someone who is so inexperienced?" I paused. It was a question that was more than fair. He was right.

"Well, I'm going to be honest and not bore you with the usual "I'm hardworking", or the "I'm a very determined individual" line. I love football, and I want to be part of football. I want to be a manager, and bring success to a club. Any club. I have my own ideas, and I feel that I can bring a fresh momentum to the club, and improve it's fortunes and make it successful." He nodded thoughtfully.

"I see. Well, if that's the case-how come you haven't managed at local level. Say for example a kids side, or an amateur side. Or a leisure side?" I sipped the coffee.

"I did want to-but there were no vacancies. So many people were applying I never got a look in. Basically I put a lot of hard work in to getting my level 2 badges. A **** of a lot of work, with a lot of personal sacrifice. The way I see it, I deserve to get a look in. If other clubs can give other managers, who have never played football, a chance in football management-I feel I should also be given that chance." He nodded again and smiled. This was going well-I could feel it. The discussion continued for a another couple of hours.

Later in the evening, there was an official announcement made on the club website. I was the new manager of Hereford United......

Hereford_United_badge.jpg

Last edited:
Thats funny that the picture of the ground/car park is Oxford Utd where im from and grew up by the kazzam horrible name (and bloke) and is completey different to Edgar Street in Hereford where i actually live. Weird, i must have been confused...all my life. lol. Good story tho.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/14/39/1143914_4a5400d8.jpg
Stadium Database: Edgar Street
Its actually had a lick of paint since.;)

Ah right. Cheers for the heads up-will change it then. Haven't seen a recent pic of stadium so googled it. Always open to a bit of advice/tips

Ah right. Cheers for the heads up-will change it then. Haven't seen a recent pic of stadium so googled it. Always open to a bit of advice/tips

Cool man, Done a lot of Hfd games, its a tough road to the prem..you can do it tho. But defo a good place to springboard into another job. My advice is keep the pace in your team like Arquin and basically cull the squad by selling or mass releases and get your own team in pronto with the free transfers and some wheeler dealing.. good if you have the scottish league on as you can get some bargains. Off the top of my head, Counago, Kevin Lisbie, Rui Marques, Jerel Iffil, Oscar Janson.. theres a french left winger whose 31 i think name escapes me for free. Also get some old south americans Kaviedies Equador old boy is good. Really do a job in the lower leagues. 4123 with wingers always do well and play on counter attack away from home and maybe a 442 /424 at home or away if your adventurous. Depending on your players really.. Pace is the key tho...especially for wingers. Quick and strong. But if a golden oldy can do a job HFD is a nice place for players in the twighlight of there career. Good luck. Waiting for Marshalls latest db tommorow morning to start my own hfd game...again. Ahmed Soukouna, sometimes he signs sometimes he dont, is a must buy if he will talk to you and should be free at the start.

Last edited:
View attachment 229558

Transition

The following day was the press conference, and it went surprisingly smooth without any major hiccups. I was nervous at first, but having the chairman there helped keep me calm and it went fine. Questions varying from what my plans were for the squad, to a direct question to the chairman, asking why a manager with no experience was being given the reigns at a league club. Ones that were pretty much expected. But I got the message across as clearly as I could. I would not be making any drastic changes both player wise, and in the backroom staff department. I hadn't seen enough obviously so it would be foolhardy to make an significant changes straight away.

But if players weren't good enough for the club, I would have to make changes-though it would have to be about free transfers or loan signings. There was no money to spend, so if I wanted to buy players-I would have to sell. Which would be tricky as it wasn't a big squad. But I wanted to help Hereford become a successful club-like any other manager in charge. But I had to emphasise the point it would take time. I had my own ideas on how to play, training regimes, and I knew that once implemented, the players would need a period of adjustment.

Later that day, along with Russell Hoult, who was now full time assistant manager, I met the players.

"Okay lads. Quieten down please." The curious talking quickly hushed. I smiled. "Right...some of you may be wondering why someone like me has been given the managers job when I haven't managed before. Fair question. Well the chairman has faith in me, to turn things around for the club. And I have faith in me aswell. I may not have managed before, but I know football. I know the basic, essential fundamentals of the game. All I ask from you, is hard work, committment, and basically trust. Trust in me to do the job. I know I'm capable, or I wouldn't have applied for the vacancy. But if anyone isn't happy, or wants to go elsewhere and not give me a chance-fair enough. Come and see me or Russell afterwards." Nobody said anything. They were just listening intently.

"I'm not a bad guy. If you have any concerns about anything-and I mean anything-just come and see me, I'll see what I can do. This will be a transistional period for the club. There will be changes in playing style, tactics-that sort of thing. But you'll be given a chance to show what you're made of. You won't be shown the door without me seeing what you can do-that's just unfair. You'll be given a chance to adapt. But if things continue to go badly or if you fail to adjust, then I'd have to have a further look to see what's going wrong. Then we'll take it from there. Okay guys?"
More nodding, and a few players relaxing. Then I went into what was going to happen tactics wise and playing style. I turned to Russell.

"I'll have to leave training to you and the rest of the guys for now I'm afraid-just for today. I'm currently working to bring a player in on a free right now. Someone who I think will improve our strike force quite a bit." He looked curious.

"No problem. I'll look after them." I patted him on the shoulder and left the training ground to begin the (hopefully short) contract negotiations. I'd heard the agent wasn't too bad, and didn't command ridiculous fees-which was a relief. Just hoped he understood English well as he was Spanish. And I didn't know any foreign languages at all. Found them boring at school so just didn't bother. But if all went well-it would be an excellent signing for the club. However, there was also a friendly match to fixate on at the same time against Blue Square side Histon. And it didn't go according to plan at all.

It was an excellent result for Histon. But we were poor, and looked very rusty. The inability to pass short was shocking. I let out a sigh. It was only the first pre-season match in a while so I had to remain patient. I didn't want to continuously keep switching things around. How would be able to adapt to a new strategy with continuous switching around? So I decided to wait it out and give them more time. But the passing had to be worked on. If you can't connect short passes you're going to be in real trouble. They had to do a better job at keeping the ball aswell.

My gut was telling me it was going to take a bit longer than planned to get things right..............

The day after the disappointment of the Histon match, some good news. I had managed to secure the services of Spanish striker Pablo Counago on a free transfer. He had been without a club for a while since his contract expired. And what he lacked in pace and accelaration, he made up for in flair, technique and finishing. And from what I saw in training, he was an excellent penalty taker. He also brought with him a wealth of experience. Not to mention, he was also runner-up of the U-20 World Cup Golden Ball, and also named U-20 World Cup Golden Shoe. He would without doubt bolster our attack line-up.

3 days later, a match against Southport. This time, the performance was much better. Good passing, retained possession and frustrated the oppositon. The final score of 2-0 didn't flatter us-though it should really have been higher but their goalkeeper kept them in it with some outstanding saves. The next match against Oldham well, less said about that the better. It was poor from both sides and I noted a distinct lack of interest from the Oldham players. Then there was an unlucky 2-1 loss at the hands of Leyton Orient. And it was unlucky. Had our Pablo's penalty not been brilliantly saved it would have been a thoroughly deserved 2-2 draw.

But the final friendly against Kettering was an absolutely shocking performance, and a losing scoreline of 3-0 was flattering. It should have been higher. It was an abysmal performance, and let the players know about it. I had a tough choice to make. Did I change things around, or do I stick with the strategy I had in mind and change when needed? I decided to stick with it a few matches. And if needed be, I'd employ plan B. However there was a more serious problem.

The day after the Kettering mauling, Pablo had broken down in training. The physio diagnosed it as a sports hernia, and we would be without him for 4-5 weeks. It was a disaster. He was by far our best player. No disrespect to the other lads, but quality wise they didn't come close. And it didn't stop there. We had lost our midfielder Rob Purdie for 4-5 weeks too with strained knee ligaments. Center back Stefan Stam was out with a twisted ankle. Nicky Featherstone, midfielder, out for 2-4 with a damaged foot. And centre back Michael Townsend would be out for 2 matches following a previous sending off. The season hadn't even kicked off yet, and already I could feel a headache incoming. And our season would be kicking off in just over a week against Southend. This was the last thing I wanted. The other players would have to try to outdo themselves on the pitch. If we were lucky......players may return sooner than expected from injury. Miracles do happen.

When I arrived back home, I thought about the upcoming season, and what I wanted to achieve. The chairman had said, that he hoped that I would learn from my experience of being in the NPower League 2. Was that an acceptance of media predictions, that we were relegation material? I didn't want relegation. I had discussed things over with Russell and the rest of the backroom staff. Yes we lacked quality in certain areas, but I felt with hard work and gritty performances we could stay up. My personal target, was to stay clear of relegation. We may be broke, and have players of limited ability-but so do other clubs and they overachieved. So why couldn't we?

It is a long, long season-not taking into account the cup matches. So anything can happen. All we could do was knuckle down, and try our very best. I wouldn't have any dressing room problems. The players were happy with me, and could see what I was trying to do. And I was helping them along the way as best as I could. I had promised them that help and would stand by my word. It's not just down to the coaching staff-the manager has a key role to play too. He has to show faith in the players, and guide them as best he can. All the staff need to be involved.

With one week to go until kick-off, the hard work would begin in earnest...............

Last edited:
Apologies for lack of pics-having a prob uploading. Trying to sort it out.

Yes, brilliant! Another great story that I will follow. I admit, I haven't read it in depth yet - but I've had a skim through and I'll read it properly later! The formatting is really nice, and so is the storyline, though! Keep it up, mate! Please check out my story, too (in my signature)!

​- PZW

View attachment 230064

Disastrous Start

The following day, was the first round draw for the Carling Cup 1st round-and it wasn't a kind draw for us. We had a very trick away tie-at Coventry City. It was going to be very tough that was for sure. They were two divisions above us and had far superior players, and a superior manager. We could only try our best and hope for the best. The board just wanted us to try our best, which removed some of the pressure from the players and myself.

The days toward the opening day of the Npower Football League season crept closer-quickly. But training was going well. There were to be no more injuries-thank god. It was bad enough losing our best player at the club for a while. But I would stick to the original plan. The players seemed to be doing very well in training, adjusting to everything fairly quickly. But obviously there's an enormous difference between training and a proper match. They were also very eager. Itching for the season to start. As was I. But I was also nervous. The media predicted us to finish 23rd. What if the tactics weren't right and we indeed got relegated? Only way to find out was for the season to kick off.

And it came soon enough. First match against Southend. And it didn't go well at all. Poor passing, nervy performances, silly fouls, poor crossing and only 3 shots on goal to their 12. The final score of 2-0 to Southend could of, should of, been worse. It was a poor performance-but it was still only the first game of the season, and there were still 45 more to go in the league. I had to get the message across, that the first 10 games wouldn't make or break our season. We were under no pressure at all as we were favourites to go down. It seemed to lift their spirits. We would have to work hard though.

4 days later, we faced Coventry City away, in the Carling Cup 1st round. And as I suspect, we got battered. 4-1. The players did try their hardest, but were no match for Coventry so to have a go at them, would have been a bit harsh. But it was tough lifting their spirits after that one. There was no shame losing to a team 2 divisions above us. And truth be told, we wouldn't have made much impact in the competition. So the advantage was it allowed us to fixate our attention on the league. However, things got worse for us.

Hereford United 0 Morecambe 0
Hereford United 0 Macclesfield 0
AFC Wimbledon 1 Hereford United 0
Hereford United 2 Bristol Rovers 3
Hereford United 1 Yeovil Town 2 (Johnstone's Paint Trophy S 1st Round)
Hereford United 0 Daggenham and Redbridge 1
Hereford United 0 Shrewsbury 2

We were rooted firmly to the bottom of League 2. 2 points from 18. Absolutely disastrous for the club so far, and already I was feeling the pressure-even though the chairman had already said there was no pressure on me. I was feeling it big time. I couldn't figure out why it was going wrong. Some of the football being played was good, good tackling, number of fouls went right down.......but we simply could not win a match. Even with Pablo leading the line.

Granted we were playing stronger teams, but we were causing all manner of problems but things just went against us all the time. Points dropped where we should have got 3-particularly against AFC Wimbledon. But that's football I guess. But already, morale was rock bottom. Myself, Russell.....everyone tried to lift the players but it didn't appear to be working at all. The only thing that would lift them would be a desperately needed win.

But the question was........where the **** would we get that damned victory? And what else did we have to do to get the dam thing?

View attachment 230265

If there is no struggle, there is no progress

So my first job wasn't going well. In fact, it's safe to say I went much worse than I had thought. I was starting to think it could be the tactics-but then decided it wasn't. Basic 4-4-2, control the ball, not a fast tempo....just basic stuff. At times it was just rotten luck. Welcome to management I told myself. I got up from my couch. I had discussed the situation with Russell, and he said what I had been thinking. Just stick with it and give it a bit more time. I had to be patient. Just one win could change everything, and help us turn the corner. I was on the verge of praying for a win right now, but he was right. I needed to give things a bit more time.

I looked at the upcoming fixtures. They all seemed tricky. Aldershot, Gillingham, Cheltenham, Oxford, Swindon, Bradford. For all I knew, they could be the ones who have a bad day at the office. Needed them to. But I wasn't going to give up that easily. I had to get some fighting spirit into the players. Some already looked demotivated, and some were trying too hard. I admired working the arses off, but if you try too hard you make mistakes and it backfires. And normally it just takes that one mistake to cost a game. We'd all seen it happen as football fans. Even the biggest clubs get punished at some point.

Our next match was Aldershot. And boy-what a different looking side we were. The passing was excellent, we marked their players out of the game, we kept pushing and pushing and pushing and never gave up. The final score of 4-0 dd not flatter us. We were outstanding and I couldn't have been any prouder of the lads. When you have the start we had, and pull off this sort of scoreline, the players deserve all the plaudits for their workrate. Immensly proud day for all concerned.

The next match against Gillingham finished without a goal, but again a very good performance. Although we only had 4 shots at goal, we were desperately unluck when a shot by Pablo hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced back out. Desperately unlucky. But more importantly, the run continued and we found ourselves shooting up the table from the bottom:

Cheltenham 1 Hereford United 3
Hereford United 2 Oxford 1
Swindon Town 1 Hereford United 4
Bradford City 4 Hereford United 1
Hereford United 3 Barnet 0
Northampton 1 Hereford United 2
Torquay United 0 Hereford United 1
Hereford United 2 Crawley Town 0

Even though we suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of Bradford City, it was still in hindsight, a great run. Each and every player played their part and worked tremondously hard for the cause and we were now mid-table. I was ecstatic. We all were. Everyone was smiling in training, there was a great atmosphere around the club. We were now getting press coverage. All those that were predicting we would be rooted permanantly at the foot of the table were being made to eat their words. Fans were flocking in droves to the stadium. We recieved praise from all quarters. The football may not have been the prettiest to watch, but they didn't care. We were doing fantastic in the division.

In 7 days there would be a big test. An FA Cup 1st Round tie against Bournemouth, at home. If we could get a run in the cup, it would be even better. However, it wasn't to be. We were at the recieving end of a 3-0 gubbing. We had a horrible game-not helped by injuries, and some poor officiating. But I couldn't just blame the officials. We were poor-full stop. Following that result,
we were to suffer 2 more losses-though a lot closer, with much improved performances, losing 1-0 to Burton, and 2-1 to Crewe.

Once again we began to slide down the table-but the morale didn't dip as quickly as before, as the bottom 3 were suffering heavy continuous defeats so we were to breath easier this time round. And thankfully, we'd have a break of a couple of weeks or so. So we had plenty of time to get ourselves together and be prepared for the next fixture, which was a home tie against Rotherham United.

However, that fateful day after the Crewe match, a lot of things would be put into perspective for me, and countless other people.

Back