With 35m In the Bank, Who Should Newcastle Sign This Summer?

• Thread starter Thread starter StuW
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 2K

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
So, as you should know, Newcastle will have a considerable war chest for the upcoming Transfer Market. As we have seen, Newcastle have some top players already at their disposal, including Nolan, Barton, Tiote and Enrique. but, we have all seen the flaws which have cost the club precious points this season, maybe even a place in Europe.

So, who should the 36m be spent on? The list of players that have been linked since the Carroll transfer went through is startling.

My Buys

Sebastian Larsson - Will be a free-agent in July, and was very close to joining in Jan before Birmingham pulled the plug. Free

Johan Elmander - Another free-agent. Started poorly with Bolton, but has found his feet in England. Free

Gervinho - A player who has been outstanding, and has voiced his desire to move to England. Toon have been linked constantly for him. 15m

Moussa Sow - A team-mate of Gervinho. The partnership the pair have formed at Lille has been remarkable and Sow looks a real poacher. 8m

Ashley Williams - A player who has impressed me with his workman-like performances. This depends on whether Swansea get the promotion or not, but either way, I think he will be in the Premier League next term. 4-5m

Stephen Ireland - It remains to be seen if he will be wanted in the summer, but if he is allowed to leave, I would love to see him at Newcastle. 5m

You don't even know if Pardew will get the money. Just speculation.

Also, Gervinho has been linked with the likes of Liverpool and City, so you'd have a lot of competition.

A striker is a must for Newcastle and i cant see either Sow or Gervinho coming to Newcastle because they will be playing Champions League football next season for Lille. If Elmander dosent sign a new contract with Bolton then its a possability but im thinking maybe along the lines of Fredrico Macheda maybe on loan or even on a perminant. I think they should be looking at players like Bentley or Larsson and they need a right back too. Bosingwa will be available im sure but it is a long shot but i could see him fitting in very well at Newcastle. And if they can i say get Given back!!! Krul is a good youngster but maybe in 2-3years time he will step up when Given gets too old.

You don't even know if Pardew will get the money. Just speculation.

Also, Gervinho has been linked with the likes of Liverpool and City, so you'd have a lot of competition.

Yeah, but Gervinho has already said Newcastle would interest him, and we have his International team-mate, and one of his close friends Tiote:). Will find the link when I can.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

A striker is a must for Newcastle and i cant see either Sow or Gervinho coming to Newcastle because they will be playing Champions League football next season for Lille. If Elmander dosent sign a new contract with Bolton then its a possability but im thinking maybe along the lines of Fredrico Macheda maybe on loan or even on a perminant. I think they should be looking at players like Bentley or Larsson and they need a right back too. Bosingwa will be available im sure but it is a long shot but i could see him fitting in very well at Newcastle. And if they can i say get Given back!!! Krul is a good youngster but maybe in 2-3years time he will step up when Given gets too old.

I wish people would stop saying we need a GK. We have Harper, Krul, and Forster who returns form Celtic at the end of season. Sow and Gervinho want to move to England, that is well documented. Lille(like Newcastle) will sell their star players if the money comes in. Larsson and Elmander are huge possibilities, rumours saying that both, and possibly Oscar Wendt, have already been contacted about a move. Bosingwa will most likely move abroad if/when he leaves Chelsea.

Yeah, but Gervinho has already said Newcastle would interest him, and we have his International team-mate, and one of his close friends Tiote:). Will find the link when I can.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

I wish people would stop saying we need a GK. We have Harper, Krul, and Forster who returns form Celtic at the end of season. Sow and Gervinho want to move to England, that is well documented. Lille(like Newcastle) will sell their star players if the money comes in. Larsson and Elmander are huge possibilities, rumours saying that both, and possibly Oscar Wendt, have already been contacted about a move. Bosingwa will most likely move abroad if/when he leaves Chelsea.

Lille dont need the money though. They are run pretty well and with CL football next season and a move to a bigger stadium (which they paid nothing for) they can afford to keep hold of these start for another year or two. And if Gervinho or Sow do move this summer it will be to a club that is playing European football, you are right to say you have one of his mates in Tiote but Man City have the Toure brothers, Arsenal have Eboue and Chelsea have Kalou and Drogba who are all Ivorian and Drogba is more of a role model in Ivory Coast than Tiote. Bosingwa will proberly move abroad but you asked who should Newcastle sign and thats who i think they should sign.

I agree with StuW, Newcastle have been constantly linked with Gervinho and I think he's not unrealistic for them, although it remains to be seen how much money the toon will get, tbh I think you could do without Elmander as even though you need a striker, if you get Moussa Sow you can get another better striker if you dont buy Williams or Ireland

Birmingham didnt pull the plug on Larsson. You didnt offer what he wanted and he said no. these are not real figures but basically we offered him 25000 p/w and he said i want 35000 p/w then you also offered 25000 p/w so he said no again. Everyone is saying he will definately leave but he wants to stay the only problem is that he/his agent want to make more money out of playing the game. Im hoping they meet in the middle as I would love him to stay

Lille dont need the money though. They are run pretty well and with CL football next season and a move to a bigger stadium (which they paid nothing for) they can afford to keep hold of these start for another year or two. And if Gervinho or Sow do move this summer it will be to a club that is playing European football, you are right to say you have one of his mates in Tiote but Man City have the Toure brothers, Arsenal have Eboue and Chelsea have Kalou and Drogba who are all Ivorian and Drogba is more of a role model in Ivory Coast than Tiote. Bosingwa will proberly move abroad but you asked who should Newcastle sign and thats who i think they should sign.

Yes, and, all of the above have been linked heavily since january to Newcastle. Lille may not need the money, but more is better ;)

Please take Ireland. We're asking for a bag of wotsits and some brylcreem in exachange.

Sow looks good actually, and even though I think Gervinho has bigger fish to fry than Newcastle (seriously rate him, think a move to a top German/Italian club is in order soon) I think Sow would be perfect.

Last edited:
And I'd say Sow would cost more than 8m. He's currently one of top goalscorers in France and it's his first season in Lille = he has got years left in his contract.

More like 12-16m for him also.

I think we defiantely need a striker! Im happy with a lot of the other positions in the team, cant wait for Ben Arfa to finally come back, that will be like a new signing.

2 strikers is the main aim as the likes of s.kuqi and n.ranger are not good enough and with only S.Ameobi the only one with premier league experience a domestic transfer must be on the cards. J.Elmander 50/50 to newcastle i think because unless you offer him more then he's getting at bolton i can see him going to a european team. Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane or Ricardo Fuller could be more of an option.

with the other striker perhaps another established goalscorer in europe maybe, Djibril Cisse or possible even Hulk.

other areas in my opinion that need strengthening are RB, CB, RW, and LW

Maybe if West ham go down they could put in a sneaky bid for that Demba Ba ??

So, as you should know, Newcastle will have a considerable war chest for the upcoming Transfer Market.
. . .
So, who should the 36m be spent on? The list of players that have been linked since the Carroll transfer went through is startling.

Mike Ashley said Pardew would get the money to spend, he also said on numerous occasions that Carroll would not be sold. It remains to be seen whether the money will actually be reinvested or whether it's just more bullshit from the club.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

No one can replace Carroll up front, but when Ranger gets a few goals and becomes more composed I reckon he'll starting knocking them in for fun (touch wood). But until that happens I reckon Seydou Doumbia (although he transferred to CSKA Moscow last summer he knows Tiote), Romelu Lukaku (young and promising, also strong and tall like Carroll), Obafemi Martins or Nicky Maynard (although he wouldn't be my first choice). The main problem is finding someone who can have the same effect in England that Carroll did, all overseas players are a risk. We also need a right winger, provided we get a striker who's prominent in the air or else they won't have anyone to supply. We'll also probably need a new left-back to replace Enrique, but there are few good ones. The club's totally unsustainable and showing a lack of will to improve and showing they're content with being a mid-table club.

Last edited:
Genuinely can't see you being able to afford Gervinho and Sow, considering Ashley will most likely pocket about £25m for himself :)
Also, I think you need a goalkeeper, Harper, Krul and Foster are pretty **** (although I am a Sunderland fan).

Back