fikintiki

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm managing Wolves and just finished 2. season on 5. place. Im using same tactic for 2 seasons. I started season with this tactic and got 5 wins in a row then started to loose points, then i tried to tweak my tactic and it got worse. So i able to finish in 5. place but im not happy with it. My all players ratings are bad and i concede too much goals. So can you help me to improve it ?

Btw i tried jota in AMC but it seems non effective..

View attachment 76980View attachment 76979View attachment 76978

You arent happy finishing 5th in your first season in the premier league, with a squad clearly not close to the ability of the other top 6/7 clubs?!

Finningham Vales

Im with Wicksy - I would be delighted with finishing 5th in the PL after two season with Wolves.

Also the ability the players you have apart from a couple is pretty low. Where did you expect to finish?

yea im not happy with it. just look at average ratings and goal difference:) i want some help to improve my tactic in tactic discussion forum guys. just pass if you dont have any idea please :)

I don't see significant structural concerns with the tactic. The biggest question would be what kind of goals are you conceding? Go back and view some of them. Look at the causes. That will be the most effective way to cut some of them out. Otherwise its just guess work.

The main possible culprits I see... you are basically defending with 3 players. The wingbacks won't help a ton and the DLP isn't a true holding player, even on Defend. The two MCs will help out some but given that they both move around a lot, you might be seeing some attacking opposition move through and get runs at goal, whether with the ball or to meet a cross. You are also playing at high tempo, which means unless you truly top class players, you will turn the ball over some. Let's say Battaglia turns it over in midfield.... you might have the BMW and wingbacks forward and unable to help out, leaving the DLP and defenders to try to snuff out the counter. Sometimes they won't be enough, especially against top Prem clubs. Look at lethal players like De Bruyne and Hazard are with space to run into.

I wouldn't worry TOO much on the average ratings. At least, I rarely do. But again, its hard without some analysis. Are they averaging 6.8 or alternating 7.5 an 6.3? That makes a big difference. When they have poor matches, why? Did they turn the ball over a bunch? That relates to skill, being pressed, tempo, lacking of options.... Did they miss defensive interventions, make a mistake, or just underperform as a whole? These are the things you have to look at and start to use that to devise solutions from a position of knowledge, not just guessing like we are.

When it comes to bigger clubs.... my guess is that while you aren't all out attacking and leaving huge gaps, you are leaving enough space that a better side can take advantage of it. And given your tempo, your players might not all but up to the task of making the right decision that quickly on a constant basis, so you turn the ball over in midfield. Again top class opposition, you may want a more conservative version of your tactic with more players back. You will lose some attacking verve, but gain defensive stability. Whether its pulling the wingbacks back a strata, or maybe making the DM or a DM or Anchor Man, then switch an MC to DLP....

Agree with most of the above.

You also dont have many players attacking the box. The killer in football is often the late runner into the box, but here this is lacking. You have your striker runnijng in, whilst the false 9 drops deep and plays with your very supporting role midfielders. They will not get up to support the striker and the wing backs will be very wide.

The AF also moves wide, so when he does, who attacks the box? the only player you have is the F9 making a late run, but playing high tempo may not even give him chance to do this.

Huge apologies Fikintiki that I wasnt able to offer sound advice.

I have been distracted myself by only winning the league by 30 points in my first season with Brighton - I cant stop thinking about the 3 goals I conceded.

Please help if you can.

The idea of a counter tactic is to let them come and then win the ball, throw the ball to your strikers rapidly. So "Work ball into the box" isn't useful in this scenario. I suggest to untick it.

In this edition of Football Manager crosses are rubbish, so your wingbacks can't really help the attack providing usefull crosses. I suggest to use them as Inverted Wingbacks with Defend attribute. In this way they will be there allways to defend, you will not be caught with your pants down because your wingback was by line trying to cross. Inverted WingBack will have the advantage to cross less often and when your team has the ball he can roam and "Cut inside with ball" which is more usefull because he can disrupt enemies midfielders and provide good passes.

I'm not sure that your centerback with Cover attribute will function as intended. When a opposition's player will approach, let say on left side, your left CB will try to stop him, but your central CB will left the centre and will try to double your left CB. I suggest to put him in Defend role, not Cover.

I would not specify the kind of crosses. I would add in team instructions Pass into space and More direct passing, these will help your chances your swift counter-attack to succeed. I would add as well Close down more, Use tighter marking for helping your defense.

The idea of a counter tactic is to let them come and then win the ball, throw the ball to your strikers rapidly. So "Work ball into the box" isn't useful in this scenario. I suggest to untick it.

In this edition of Football Manager crosses are rubbish, so your wingbacks can't really help the attack providing usefull crosses. I suggest to use them as Inverted Wingbacks with Defend attribute. In this way they will be there allways to defend, you will not be caught with your pants down because your wingback was by line trying to cross. Inverted WingBack will have the advantage to cross less often and when your team has the ball he can roam and "Cut inside with ball" which is more usefull because he can disrupt enemies midfielders and provide good passes.

I'm not sure that your centerback with Cover attribute will function as intended. When a opposition's player will approach, let say on left side, your left CB will try to stop him, but your central CB will left the centre and will try to double your left CB. I suggest to put him in Defend role, not Cover.

I would not specify the kind of crosses. I would add in team instructions Pass into space and More direct passing, these will help your chances your swift counter-attack to succeed. I would add as well Close down more, Use tighter marking for helping your defense.
There's no reason Work Ball Into Box can't be used. It only reduces crosses and long shots.

You're advising closing down more than default, but also sitting back and drawing teams in... so sounds contradicting and whether it's needed or not, the OP should need to determine.

As far Pass Into Space and More Direct Passing, why? The instructions you choose are for when a counter is NOT on. If there is a counter attack triggered, it'll automatically be attacking and direct.

There's no reason Work Ball Into Box can't be used. It only reduces crosses and long shots.

You're advising closing down more than default, but also sitting back and drawing teams in... so sounds contradicting and whether it's needed or not, the OP should need to determine.

As far Pass Into Space and More Direct Passing, why? The instructions you choose are for when a counter is NOT on. If there is a counter attack triggered, it'll automatically be attacking and direct.

I don't know where your Work Ball Into Box source is, but in game they said "instructs players to work hard for their opening, remaining patient and not forcing the issue but rather retaining the ball until the breakthrough occurs". Do you think this description suits well for a Counter tactic? "Until breakthrough occurs" means you lost element of surprise and give the enemy possibility to regroup and reshape.

Logically you are right abut closing down, but in FM is different. I advice about closing down more because without it your players do nothing and give to the enemy possibility to play and score. I saw a lot of good players shooting and scoring even they were marked closely by a defender. In any tactic I want to recover the ball as quick as I can. I prefer I play the ball, not the enemy. To recover fast I need to close down and tackle, or to intercept. What I do with the ball is different for every tactic. In this case, I will attack very fast, before enemy can regroup.

And if counter attack is not triggered? Then what will happen? The players will pass normally. I choose Counter because I know I can't have a good possession and I can't beat them through many steady passes, so in this case, even a counter attack was not triggered I would like my team to try to play as a counter attack was triggered, with long balls with passes in open spaces where my strikers to can play the ball and score.

I don't know where your Work Ball Into Box source is, but in game they said "instructs players to work hard for their opening, remaining patient and not forcing the issue but rather retaining the ball until the breakthrough occurs". Do you think this description suits well for a Counter tactic? "Until breakthrough occurs" means you lost element of surprise and give the enemy possibility to regroup and reshape.
There are many sources on the SI forum and I've quoted them before as well as posted what it does here.

https://community.sigames.com/topic/408931-team-instructions/?tab=comments#comment-10957720

https://community.sigames.com/topic...hances-on-goal/?tab=comments#comment-10883132

https://community.sigames.com/topic...eak-teams-down/?tab=comments#comment-10901452

https://community.sigames.com/topic/406793-target-man/?tab=comments#comment-10904973

Logically you are right abut closing down, but in FM is different. I advice about closing down more because without it your players do nothing and give to the enemy possibility to play and score. I saw a lot of good players shooting and scoring even they were marked closely by a defender. In any tactic I want to recover the ball as quick as I can. I prefer I play the ball, not the enemy. To recover fast I need to close down and tackle, or to intercept. What I do with the ball is different for every tactic. In this case, I will attack very fast, before enemy can regroup.

You're merely tweaking closing down, so your point isn't well made. In Counter Mentality, closing down is fairly low as the point is to draw players in. You're tweaking it to be a bit more, but it'll still not be a lot more than fairly low, so it's not as if there will be intense pressing.

And if counter attack is not triggered? Then what will happen? The players will pass normally. I choose Counter because I know I can't have a good possession and I can't beat them through many steady passes, so in this case, even a counter attack was not triggered I would like my team to try to play as a counter attack was triggered, with long balls with passes in open spaces where my strikers to can play the ball and score.

If a counter isn't triggered, by default the defenders are fairly direct to get the ball to midfield and forwards. The forwards pass short to keep possession, so if you can't trigger a counter, you sit with mostly a possession/safe decision making.