Wolverhampton Wanderers - Waking the Beast

Songie235

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a student, so I do have school related tasks, but I love Football Manager and wanted to make a story. I'll do my best to update regularly. I will post in monthly intervals. I am unsure as to what screenshots to post so suggestions would be appreciated.

McCarthy Steps Down:
Today the Wolverhampton management have announced that manager Mick McCarthy will be stepping down as manager. McCarthy has had much success with the club, winning the Coca Cola Championship, and taking Wolves back to the top flight. McCarthy is quoted as saying "I have achieved what I wanted, and now it is time for a younger manager to take Wolves to the top of the Premier League."

The Wolverhampton management have done just that, announcing former Australian International, Duncan Soang, as the new manager. Soang has minimal management experience, but the board are confident that he can do a good job. Soang said at todays press conference, "I am delighted to be given the opportunity to take on such a challenge, and I intend to do my very best." It is reported that Soang has around 7.25million pounds to spend on the transfer market, as well ast 245 thousand pounds of wage allocation.

The Wolves' Preseason looks as follows:
vs. Reserves (Home)
vs. Swindon (Away)
vs. Portadown (Away)
vs. AFC Telford (Away)
vs. Shrewsbury (Away)
vs. Millwall (Away)
vs. Celtic (Home)

Last edited:
Results for July:

WOLVES 6 def. Wolves Reserves 0
A good game by my first side, in which we dominated. 6 individual goal scorers was positive to see. It does however seem to highlight the weakness of my reserves squad. However, at this stage, that is not in my interests.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Berra (28), Milijas (51), Castillo (54), Halford (60), Keogh (73), Maierhofer (81)

Wolves 1 drew with Swindon 1
A disappointing result. We controlled possession for the first 60 minutes. We were one goal up and looked good value. Complacency began to set in, and they started to dominate possession, scoring in injury time. A mild worry about my left side of the pitch. Not enough depth and will have to look to invest on the transfer market.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Doyle (30)
Swindon - McNamee (90+)

WOLVES 5 def. Portadown 1
An all class Wolves line up, using the subsitutes as starters, we were way to good for Portadown. Once again, mild disappointment as far as their goal goes. Complacency late in the game was the cause, not a problem now, but will be in the future.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Halford (10), Vokes (16), Maierhofer (20,89), Jarvis (77)
Portadown - McCourt (86)

WOLVES 3 def. AFC Telford 0
Once again, my subsitute bench started, and they did it well. We controlled the whole game, not showing signs of complacency this time, which is promising. Still concerned over my left side. Potential problems in the future.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Jarvis (12), Vokes (16), Zubar (32)

Wolves 2 drew with Shrewsbury 2
An extremely poor first half showing from the first team. We were down 2-0 at the half, with very few players performing. However, after half time, a reinvigorated Wolves side came out and pulled back two goals. Some poor defending from the back four. First time it has happened though.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Doyle (64), Ivan Campo (74)
Shrewsbury - Langmead (22), Bright (41)

WOLVES 4 def. Millwall 1
A poor start once again, Millwall struck first abotu 20minutes in. However, Ebanks-Blake saved the day. A hat-trick before halftime, earning him man of the match honours. A good all round performance for the last 2/3rds of the game.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Ebanks- Blake (36, 38, 44), Kightly (90+)
Millwall - Harris (18)

Wolves 1 drew with Celtic 1
My only real challenge of the season was this game. We started off poorly, with Hennessey the only reason we weren't trailing at the half. Subbing on Maierhofer for Doyle who was having a shocker sparked a bit of life to the offence. Poor finishing cost us a win, but I will take a draw here, to end a reasonable pre-season.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Maierhofer (68)
Celtic - Killen (74)

Tranfers (to this Point):
With a reasonable transfer budget, but low reputation, it was still difficult to attract players. A board restriction on the maximum wage also caused havoc. Overall, it was a rather uneventful month. Mainly i was trying to add depth to a few positions, particularly on the left. This month's transfers, both in and out, can be seen below.

Will post another update or three tomorrow. For now, its off to bed

Interesting signings there
Is hadji worth all that money? Maybe sell Keogh to make more funds available?

Good luck mate! I hope you will do your best results!
And btw, I don't think McCarthy will be so kind to say what you wrote there... LoL

Interesting signings there
Is hadji worth all that money? Maybe sell Keogh to make more funds available?

I wasnt sure to be honest. Its over 48 months though so its not too bad. As for Keogh, I was considering that, but he is injured at the moment, so he wouldn't pass a physical so I couldn't. :(

And Frutty.....thanks mate, and yeah i agree he probably wouldnt :p

August Update:

MAN UTD 1 def Wolves 0
Despite losing, I was very impressed with the performance. We dominated possession for the majority of the game, but we couldn't finish in front of goals. Wayne Hennessey played a screamer in goals, and saved us from a blowout, with Utd posing numerous threats on the counter.
SCORERS:
Man Utd - Berbatov (60)

WOLVES 6 def. Southampton 3 (League Cup)
A high scoring affair, I was worried for a little while, trailing 3-1 at halftime. Kevin Doyle had a storming game, bagging four goals, of which three came in the second half. An average defensive performance, but we won and thats all that matters in the end.
SCORERS:
Wolves - Doyle (21, 63, 78, 83), Ebanks-Blake (56), Maierhofer (81)
Southampton - Waigo (20, 50). Lambert (pen 47)

BOLTON 1 def Wolves 0
A terrible performance. We never looked like scoring. Once again it showed our inefficiency in front of goals, which I am addressing. Only real positive, Hadji is starting to gel with the team it would appear.
SCORERS:
Bolton - Gardner ( 6 )

Summary:
A poor month in the Premier League sees me sitting in 19th. However, we only played two games so I am not too disappointed. I would have liked to have taken something from the Bolton game, but thats football. As far as transfers go, it was good to bring in some experience. I was also trying to sign Bautista from Juagres for a finishing AM, but the work permit got turned down so that fell through. Ronaldo. We all know him. Yes he is 30, and very slow, but the finishing and experience he will bring in my opinion will prove valuable.