Woodley Sports - Two teams in Stockport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

County4life06

Reaction score
Right well this is my first ever go at something like this so I hope you like it, basically I had already started when I decided to do this so here is a quick overview of Woodley Sports and how my first pre-season went.

Woodley Sports Football Club

Woodley Sports are football team based in Stockport, Cheshire they compete in the Northern Premier League Division One North.

Founded in 1970 from an amalgamation of a number of Stockport based sides, the club have continued to flourish and find themselves one of the best known and most respected Unibond sides in The Country.

The Club play their home games at The Neil Rourke Stadium, in Woodley, Stockport, a modern if not small stadium located in the heart of the suburban village, they have produced two players of note recently, being Liam Dickinson who has been somewhat of a journeyman after a successful stint with Stockport County and Simon Hackney who now plays for Colchester United following a spell with Carlisle United.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Pre-Season 2009

Woodley Sports 4-0 Cammell Laird
Bedfont Green 1-3 Woodley Sports
Woodley Sports 4-1 Buxton
Woodley Sports 2-0 Kidsgrove Athletic
Mickleover Sports 1-2 Woodley Sports
Woodley Sports 0-4 Stockport County

Following the sale of star forward Mark Ablett to Altrincham for £75,000 and Goalkeeper Nigel Yebb to Rotherham United for £34,000 I had some money to play with over pre-season, very little of which was spent on players, most of which was spent on wages for free transfers.

I brought in the following players;

James Baird (GK) - Tabago FC - £0
Emanuel Mendy (RB) - Liverpool - £2,000
Clayton McDonald (CB) - Manchester City - £0
Daniel Ayala (CB) - Liverpool - £0
John Routledge (MR) - Wigan Athletic - £10,000
Michael Hall (CM) - Blackburn Rovers - £0
Andrew Tutte (CM) - Manchester City - £0
Joe Holt (CM) - Wigan Athletic - Bosman
Nathan Craig (ST) - Everton - £6,500

Overall I recieved a further £15,000 through the sale of players.

I was now ready for the kick-off Vs. Lancaster City

Saturday, August 8th, 2009

Lancaster City Vs. Woodley Sports
Northern Premier League Division One North

I had to travel to Lancaster in the opening game of the season, a tough game by all accounts against the favourites for the league, The weather at the Giant Axe Stadium was warm but wet affecting the passing game I was looking to play meaning that I opted to use the long ball more favourably.

The game kicked off with Lancaster dominating having 3 shots on target before finally taking the lead through Ian Flannery on 35 minutes following a corner that Michael Trimmins failed to head away which left Flannery with the simplest of tap ins at the far post to give City a well deserved 1-0 lead.

Going a goal down seemed to Galvinise Woodley into action and it was their turn to do all the pressing before new signing Michael Hall equalised with a stunning volley from 25 yards to level it up for Sports in first half stoppage time.

No real incidents of note until the 55 minute when another debutant, Clayton McDonald gave Woodley a shock lead in a game they were expected to lose heading home from a Michael Hall corner from the left that met the head of McDonald perfectly.

Woodley's afternoon soon turned Sour as fan favourite Marcus Marshall was stretchered off with a twisted ankle ruling him out for 2 months minimum, Ben Humphries came off the bench to replace him and the impact was immediate from the free-kick that was won as a result of the challenge that injured Marshall, Andrew Tutte played the ball in and Humphreys was waiting in the middle to slot it under the 'keeper and secure the game for Woodley on 69 minutes.

Lancaster then had all the chances of note afterwards, they came closest when Roger Sharrock hit the crossbar with a well struck free-kick but couldn't add to their first half goal and it finished 3-1 to The Sports.

toplogo2.jpg
1-3
1951159380866.jpg

Man of the Match: Michael Hall - Woodley Sports
0,,10303%7E3709828,00.jpg

Attendance: 196

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Saturday, 15th August, 2009

Colwyn Bay Vs. Woodley Sports
Northern Premier League Division One North

The Second Away game of the season and the closest Woodley Sports have come to playing in Europe, the away day exile to Wales should be 3 points in the bad, Colwyn are regarded as amongst the worst teams in the league and will have to really win against all odds to avoid being dragged into a relegation scrap, with Woodley hopeful of achieving a top half finish.

The game started with controversy as The Bay had a goal from Alex Hay ruled out for offside, though the replays have since shown he may well have been onside when the ball was played in, either way the let off shocked Woodley into life and they dominated the first half hitting the bar twice, however, making his debut in the second game due to missing the first with Wales Under 21's Nathan Craig gave Woodley a deserved lead on 32 minutes after Michael Hall won it in Midfield, he released Craig who smashed it high into the top corner to send the small travelling Sports contingent into raptures.

The Second half was dire affair not sparking into life until the 63rd Minute when Emanuel Mendy was judged to have taken down Eddie Jebb in the box and after much Woodley protest it was substitute Rob Hopley who stepped up to take the penalty but it was straight down the middle and Baird was able to get down in time and keep Woodley in front and almost straight from the penalty Woodley broke down the left with Joe Holt playing a through ball to John Routledge who beat the 'Keeper to put Woodley 2-0 up and then in the 93rd Minute Craig grabbed his second goal of the game to give Woodley a well deserved 3-0 win.

cbfc_crest.gif
0-3
1951159380866.jpg

Man of the Match: Nathan Craig - Woodley Sports
25096677.jpg

Attendance: 307

Last edited:
August Review

August has been a great month for Woodley, winning all 4 league fixtures has propelled the club into 2nd place, the two results not featured was the 3-1 home win over Rossendale United with Ben Humphries and Leon Jones scoring, then I won 3-0 at home in the Derby Vs. Curzon Ashton a result what really pleased my fans.

moz-screenshot-2.png
leaguerr.jpg

From now on I will only post one or two games a month in detail, the rest will just be quick updates with goalscorers, at the end of each month I will post my favourite Woodley goal.

Click here to watch my goal for August - Michael Halls Vs. Curzon Ashton

Nice story-I'll follow

(OFF TOPIC): Isn't Stockport in Greater Manchester, not Cheshire?

Cheers mate, well yes and no, in terms of post yes we are GM however in terms of boundaries we are Cheshire and we think ourselves Cheshire as well as our official status being Cheshire as well, we get a cross between GMR Police and Cheshire Police.

And thanks for the interest everyone, I'm really enjoying this game, never been a team this low down before

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:52 PM ----------

September Review:

Sat 5.9.09 - League

Radcliffe Borough 2-3 Woodley Sports

Chris Hall (1-0 Woodley)
Daniel Ayala OG (1-1)
Leon Jones Missed Penalty for Woodley (1-1)
Adam Roscoe (2-1 Radcliffe)
Ben Humphries (2-2)
Ben Humphries (3-2 Woodley)

Man of the Match: Ben Humphries (Woodley Sports)
Attendance:

leaguerad.jpg

Sat 12.9.09 - League

Woodley Sports 4-0 Chorley

Ben Humphries (1-0 Woodley)
John Routledge (2-0 Woodley)
Chris Hall [P] (3-0 Woodley)
Joe Holt (4-0 Woodley)

Man of the Match: John Routledge (Woodley Sports)
Attendance: 449

leaguecho.jpg

Weds 16.9.09 - FA Vase 2nd Round

Woodley Sports 5-0 Cammell Laird

Marcus Marshall (1-0 Woodley)
Michael Hall (2-0 Woodley/4-0 Woodley)
Ben Humphries (3-0 Woodley)
John Routledge (5-0 Woodley)

Man of the Match: Michael Hall (Woodley Sports)
Attendance: 336

Sat 19.9.09

Garforth Town 0-0 Woodley Sports

Lee Timmins Sent-off for Woodley Sports

Man of the Match: Luke Woodall (Garforth Town)
Attendance: 140

leaguegar.jpg

Sat 26.9.09 - FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Woodley Sports 0-0 Southport

Man of the Match: Clayton McDonald (Woodley Sports)
Attendance: 624

Woodley Sports Player of the Month: Clayton McDonald

0,,10428%7E7031105,00.jpg

Woodley Sports Goal of The Month: Joe Holt Vs. Chorley
YouTube- Woodley Sports Vs. Chorley - Joe Holt Goal

Signings -

Gerard Barron - The Young Goalkeeper has excecllent potential and was picked up on a free after his release from Celtic, only 17 years old, he will finish this season in the Under 18's before moving up in Summer.

Bad Points -

The Club has undergone a Transfer Embargo due to the ongoing sale of the club.
I had to switch my FA Cup game Vs. Southport to Edgeley Park due to Plastic Surfaces not being allowed in the Cup.

Good Points -

Still unbeaten so still top of the league, Still in the FA Cup much against the odds.

Good Luck mate, I'll follow because I'm in a game with a team in the division below you and you've bought Nathan Craig :wub:

Cheers mate, Nathan Craig is an absolutely amazing signing for me, he still plays for Wales Under 21's despite being in the Unibond League.

Nice to see someone being Woodley :D

PS. Is Dicko a club legend? XD

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.