work ball into box non existant?

• Thread starter Thread starter xelliotx
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 3K

xelliotx

Reaction score
is this game broke or what? half of my players are shooting instead of crossing,passing etc from about 50 yards out, how do i tell them to stop shooting al lthe time?

On the individual player/s put long shots to rarely, and change through balls to often - this way they will choose to thread the ball instead of shooting - if this still doesn't work try teaching them the preferred move of "look for pass instead of trying to score" (if there not a striker/poacher) If you have quick wingers try setting the distribution tactic to "both flanks" and crossing from the "byline" this generally works well with a direct style of play and counter attack if you are playing away!

Try and buy players with 'long shots' on 20, that way you might at least score a few...:) Work ball into box does work a bit, and try what Benjamin suggests above mate!

I did have exactly the same problem and I have found this in all FMs since the 3D ME was introduced. If you want to keep your style of play then I would do exactly what #marksandygill says and look for players who have at least 15 Long Shots - also players with good technique +15 tend to hit the ball cleaner (unless they have "shoots with power" and etc then they will just lamp it.) Players who don't have through ball set and a low level of creativity will run out of ideas and just hit it from a mile. Those players NEED instructions, whereas players with good creativity and passing will naturally pick the better pass option so you are more able to let them play there own game!

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with watching it in 3D? The match-engine is exactly the same regardless of how you watch it. The only difference is you might not see the players taking the longshots as much, but they still are doing...

And setting all the players to "Rarely" taking longshots barely effects the ammount they take, but it does mean they will 90% time have absolutely useless long shots. Since the amount of long-shots is caused by players having a lack of off-the-ball movement, and defenders not closing down, you best bet would be to simply get more players forward.
(Basically, players don't really try to get away from their markers, so if you get more players forward then they will outnumber the defenders more!) :)

I think perhaps you have misinterpreted what I have said Scotty. I quite clearly stated that since the 3D match engine was introduced and not because of the 3D match engine - although if this is ambiguous what i mean is since FM has introduced the 3D match engine in 2009 that this problem with long shots has existed, not because of the match engine as you suggest.

I would also very much disagree with you on the rarely taking long shots making a difference - it clearly does make a difference from my experience and has absolutely nothing to do with off the ball.

To explain off the ball please read the following link
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010/36537-off-ball.html

I can agree with the comment about defenders not closing down but that is why I have suggested through balls and players with creativity to find a gap through. (you can have all the players in the world going forward but if someone cannot find that final ball and is shooting instead it is therefore not going to work.)

I think perhaps you have misinterpreted what I have said Scotty. I quite clearly stated that since the 3D match engine was introduced and not because of the 3D match engine - although if this is ambiguous what i mean is since FM has introduced the 3D match engine in 2009 that this problem with long shots has existed, not because of the match engine as you suggest.

I would also very much disagree with you on the rarely taking long shots making a difference - it clearly does make a difference from my experience and has absolutely nothing to do with off the ball.

To explain off the ball please read the following link
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010/36537-off-ball.html

I can agree with the comment about defenders not closing down but that is why I have suggested through balls and players with creativity to find a gap through. (you can have all the players in the world going forward but if someone cannot find that final ball and is shooting instead it is therefore not going to work.)

I didn't say anything about the off-the-ball attribute? And if you go onto the SI forums they have said what I just said about the match-engine - that is players not closing down and not enough off the ball movement. And I also agree about having more through-balls and more creative players help.

Also, I did say that it slightly reduces the amount of long-shots, but it also reduces the quality too. And since the ME is flawed most of the time their will always be too many long shots, so why have 8 hopeless one's when you can have 10 but 3 or 4 are decent? :)

Back