Work permit confusion - USA

richshort23

Reaction score
Hi

I currently am managing Burton in a save game in the 2018/2019 season, battling at the top of league 1. I signed a re-gen a few season ago who was American. He has been playing for two season, now into his third, and has potential. However, whenever I try offer him a new contract it gets turned down due to work permit not being given. Is this right when he has been playing for three seasons for me? So far he has one U21 cap. I signed a few Americans after scouting there and only he has been able to play. Any advice about getting work permits for him and the others? Just a bit confused by it all

Thanks

Hi

I currently am managing Burton in a save game in the 2018/2019 season, battling at the top of league 1. I signed a re-gen a few season ago who was American. He has been playing for two season, now into his third, and has potential. However, whenever I try offer him a new contract it gets turned down due to work permit not being given. Is this right when he has been playing for three seasons for me? So far he has one U21 cap. I signed a few Americans after scouting there and only he has been able to play. Any advice about getting work permits for him and the others? Just a bit confused by it all

Thanks

That's the reason you're not getting the work permit. You probably got the permit initially due to his higher potential or w/e, but if he's not been playing for U21 or senior team for his NT, you can expect to wave goodbye to that work permit.

Is there a particular number of caps which are required for a W/P or is it just luck-of-the-draw?
Would loaning him (And others) out only work in other countries (i.e not UK) due to the same WP rules applying?

The chances are you signed him on appeal two years ago, which means that due to his potential talent they waivered the fact he needs to play a certain % of competitive/ international games. However, I'm not sure that you can appeal a work permit when signing a player to a new contract, not 100% sure on that though as it's not something I've had an issue with.

If you want to keep the player he will need to be loaned out to a nation that he can gain a fast citizenship in, but because you're in League 1 it's highly unlikely you will find a club willing to be your feeder team and even more unlikely that any club willing to be a feeder to yours is good enough for the player to want to join.

So yeah, you're probably gonna have to sell him.

The chances are you signed him on appeal two years ago, which means that due to his potential talent they waivered the fact he needs to play a certain % of competitive/ international games. However, I'm not sure that you can appeal a work permit when signing a player to a new contract, not 100% sure on that though as it's not something I've had an issue with.

When a player who already has a contract with the club is offered a new contract, no appeal is present. Just a message stating that player's WP has been granted/rejected..

Ok thanks for that.
I guess I will resign myself to losing him in the summer, shame he has been awesome the last two seasons. Silly me for not fully understanding WP's!
Everyday is a school day!

Back