Working miracles with Blackburn Rovers!

• Thread starter Thread starter mcbgun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2K

mcbgun

Reaction score
With a transfer budget of under 2 million quid it looks like being an uphill battle from the start for me as the new manager of my beloved Rovers.

I've chosen to go with Koflok's Goals Galore tactic.....a risky and bold strategy but one which I hope will pay off and will allow me to maybe squeak into Europe come the end of the season.

1st transfer window
----------------------------

What they may lack in quality, Rovers more than make up for in numbers boasting a good size squad full of capable if unspectacular players.

I decide to splash the cash on Vaclav Kadlec as I'm happy with my options and see Kadlec as a future wonderkid that can score a bundle of goals after a few seasons. Its a gamble spending all my transfer budget on one player but I'll take a risk!

--------

Notable results
--------------------

2 - 1 win at home to Chelsea

1 - 1 draw at home to Man Utd and Arsenal

1 - 0 win at home to Liverpool

Come the end of the year I'm sitting pretty in 5th place, which is a big surprise to me!

2nd transfer window
---------------------------

One issue is that Rovers have a fair number of fringe players who are on big contracts and this is losing the club money hand over first. I decide to clear out some of the dead wood in January...

Major outs
---------------

Benjani
Olsson
Roberts
Emerton (loan)

Major ins
-------------

Jenas (loan)

A hectic transfer window comes to an end and I'm happy that I've now got the wage budget under control for this season. I also take the opportunity to do what I do best and nose around those players whose contracts are expiring in months. I sign the following players for next season for nothing, again gambling on a good league place to get me into europe and give me a decent cash prize from the league for a good finish.........

Urby Emanuelson - Givet has played as my makeshift full back all season and altho I intend to play Urby in rotation with Diouf and Pederson as a winger, he can play as a fullback so can provide cover

Marco Amelia - May challenge Robinson for the No.1 jersey but Robbo has had a reasonable season so its unlikely. Still he provides better cover than what I currently have.

Luis Jimenez - a useful aquisition but more a squad signing than first team signing. He'll add another creative dimension to my otherwise defensive looking options. I'll rotate him with Dunn.

I get knocked out of both cups but my main priority is the league this season.

Notable results 2011
---------------------------

3 - 1 win at home against Man City

2 - 2 draw at home to Liverpool

2 - 1 win away at Arsenal

2 - 1 win at home to Tottenham

From March to the end of the season Rovers win 7 of 10 games, losing just 3 and manage to get themselves into a fantastic 3rd in the league ahead of Chelsea and Liverpool.

14.4 million quid into the coffers quadruples the club's original start of season balance of 3.5 million and returns the club into the black.

Looking forward to Champions League football next season. I'll be happy to get throught the qualifiers and maybe secure a quarter final spot but it'll be tough given the still limited resources.

Further transfer deals
----------------------------

Sebastian Larsson - Birmingham got relegated and put up most of their squad for sale so I had a look around with my scouts and was shocked to see him being available at a ridiculous cut price of 325k! He's valued at 3.1 million so this is a no risk deal given that he's had a solid season, can challenge my current right wingers, cover my right full back and even play in the centre if I get desperate. A no brainer.

Mikkel Thygesen - Rated at 3.5 stars by my scouts and available on a free at the end of his contract.....erm yes! Adds further attacking options in midfield and on both wings. A cracking find.

Players to be sold and released
-----------------------------------------

Chimbonda and Salgado - I'll let their contracts expire as whilst they have played well this season, they are both old and command a combined wage of 58k a week.

Ryan Nelson - Ok he's a good defender. But he's 33 and not even my first choice. He's also on 35k a week and has a year left on his contract. I decide to sell him for 925k.

Major concerns
---------------------

63 goals scored......47 conceded. This tactic is known for its attacking prowess but for being a bit shaky at the back. I'll need to try and revamp my defence starting with my full backs as a priority and I'll need a good centre back to partner Samba. Phil Jones will be a star for the future and Givet will provide cover for left back and centre back unless someone comes in with a sizeable offer him.

Samba is wanted by Lyon and Fiorentina so I've slapped a 10 million asking price on him just in case. I had to persuade him to stay a few months ago but my league finish will help no end. Still if the right offer comes in I may have no choice but to sell as those funds could potentially help strengthen my defensive options greatly.

Fingers crossed for next season!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just started with Blackburn, seemingly no trouble vs the big teams but can only manage draws vs the relegation candidates. In semis so far of the league cup and europa spot in the league looks likely but I'd say I have no chance of 3rd place, thats a great achievement, how did you manage this with just one pre season signing?

From what I've read its best not to chop and change everything in terms of playing squad in a short space of time. I used koflok's tactic to great effect in the first season but after reading more in the forum, the AI counters your tactic if you keep using it and so I switched to the ghost tactic for my second season. I finished 5th but my goal difference was far superior.

Look to slowly get rid of your dead wood players. I identified who was on too big a wage for the quality of player and either let their contracts expire at the end of the first season or sold them off.

As you'll see below the team is completely different now than what it was but I've done this over three seasons. The board have also decided, by themselves, to expand the stadium so I think i'll have a 40000 seater stadium come november which will help finances.

Even in my third season, I still have retained players like samba, e.h. diouf, pederson, kalacnic, hoilett, jones etc. The ghost tactic requires specific players, some of which are dirt cheap to buy. My current team looks like this....

GK Amelia (free)
DR Hutton (loan)
DL Ivan Obradovic (7.75m)
DC Zapata (9m)
DC Samba
DMC Nzonzi
MC Cairey (loan)
AML DJ Campbell (400k)
AMR Vela (2.5m)
ST Olic (free)
ST Kadlec (1.8m)

Subs

Gk Artur Boric(1.4m)

Defenders: Jones, Sebastian Larsson(325k), Givet, Anton Ferdinand (free)

Midfielders: Gamst Pederson, Sebastian Eguren(1.1m), Hoilett, E. H. Diouf, Rosicky (free), Julio Baptista (free), Thiago (free from Barcelona, currently 21 years old)

Attackers: Kalinic, Miguel Medina (600k)

I've spent 25.5m on players and recouped 24m. One of the best things you can do in any team is scour the market for good players whose contracts are expiring and sign them up, even if you only intend to use them as fringe players. I signed urby emanuelson on a free, played him 5 times all season and sold him at the end for 4.1m!

It'll be season by season as I haven't had much time to play due to work constraints. Still its an interesting challenge with rovers. It'll be interesting to see how the club grows with that extra seating although i fear 40000 might be the maximum capacity. I'm going to stick with the policy of buying players with the stats for the formation and generating funds through signing free transfers and selling them on for profit. I'm going to try and build up the club's bank balance to eventually get a new stadium built and improve the training and youth facilities and also keep the wage bill as low as I can without compromising performance.

Latest Update:
-------------------------

Finished in 4th so its a return to the Champions League! Goal difference of +39 and points total of 80 which both surpass my previous best efforts with the club. Also won my first silverware by beating Arsenal 2-1 in the League Cup final. Nice!

This season will be one for investment. I've spent for the future bringing in a host of high potential players most of which I've loaned straight out to gain experience for 5 months.

I've also cashed in on some of the free players I brought in last season to give a little cash injection and reduce the wage budget.

Back