World Golden Ball vs World Player of the Year

• Thread starter Thread starter Yurt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 13K

Yurt

Reaction score
In light of Messi winning another Ballon d'Or, I checked out the previous winners of the award on FM. I noticed there are two separate awards: World Golden Ball (which has 'voting points') and World Player of the Year. Wondering if anyone knows the difference between these? I'm assuming one is voted by players/managers and one is adjudged by a mythical body of judges somewhere in the FM coding? XD Oh, and on a sub-note, did Messi deserve to win?

When you score 91 goals in a calendar year you most definitely deserve to win it, also he's the only player ever with 4 awards (in a row too)

By the way, I have never managed a national team in FM, do you get to vote for Ballon d'Or ?

That's what I'm trying to work out - I'm not too sure how it works! :(
But yeah I agree that Messi deserved it, though I would be inclined to say Iniesta is the best player in the world! I also DO NOT rate Cristiano Ronaldo at all. He would not even make my top 10!

That's what I'm trying to work out - I'm not too sure how it works! :(
But yeah I agree that Messi deserved it, though I would be inclined to say Iniesta is the best player in the world! I also DO NOT rate Cristiano Ronaldo at all. He would not even make my top 10!

Ronaldo: Most goals in a league season for Real Madrid, most goals scored per min in La Liga, fastest Real Madrid player to reach 100 league goals, first player to score against every other team in a season in La Liga. 84 goals in 196 games for Man Utd, 128 in 119 games for Real Madrid

Yeah I don't rate him either

Last edited:
This thread is a little dead but I feel like chiming in anyway:

I think in terms of FM, World Player of the Year is more about performance and Golden Ball is more about reputation. Messi has won the Golden Ball 11 times in a row on mine (from 2009 to 2019), with Ronaldo being in the top 3 every year up to 2017.

World player of the year seems to have more players that aren't Ronaldo and Messi, with Neymar winning it in 2014, one of my regens winning in 2019, Destro, Burdisso and Kelly (yes, Martin Kelly) all having appeared in 3rd once, and Ronaldo generally being in it a lot less.

Messi genuinely is the best player in the world even in 2019 averaging 8.6 or something stupid, but when Ronaldo's averages started dropping to 7.5, World Player of the Year started favouring my players that were averaging 8s and Golden Ball kept Ronaldo in, presumably on reputation points

Last edited:
Back