Wrexham: A journey to redemption

• Thread starter Thread starter burnsy212
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 4K

burnsy212

Reaction score
OK, so as you may know Wrexham were not so long ago a club safely within the football league pyramid until they suffered financially and dropped out of the football league all together. My aim is to take Wrexham to the very top so it could be a long series. Enjoy!

I am slightly ahead so updates should be quite quick.

Pre Season:

I started the season with a healthy budget of 180k, so I decided to make the following signings

Transfers:

View attachment 325793

Anton Rodgers was the most expensive at 80k but he was young and had the potential to be a leading league 1 player so definitely worth it in my opinion, also with Brett Ormerod being the only striker at the club I felt I needed another striker and therefore Nicholas Bignall was signed. Ben Tozer was another important signing as the team lacked a CDM and with the formation that I was going to play this was important. Gerardo Bruna was signed on loan to add quality down the left side.

Formation:

View attachment 325794

This has served me well in the past and I'm hoping it will again.

Friendlies (If anyone cares):

Wrexham 0-0 Bury

Buckley 1-1 Wrexham
Reid

Airbus 2-2 Wrexham
Ormerod(2)

Wrexham 0-3 Notts County

I wasn't too concerned with the friendly results as I left them to my assistant, however a 2-2 draw with Airbus was disappointing. In the next season we will start the season in the form of monthly updates.

Last edited:
Good luck with this. I'm a Cambridge United fan so I know this league well!

August:

Starting XI:

View attachment 325808

This is my first XI, although with the strains of the conference there will be a lot of rotation as fixture congestion is an issue. My star players are Anton Rodgers (CM), Nicholas Bignall (ST) and Ben Tozer (DM).

Wrexham 1-0 Woking
Harris

Maccelsfield 0-3 Wrexham
Bignall(3)

Ebbsfleet 3-2 Wrexham
Cieslewicz, Creighton

Wrexham 2-0 Grimsby
Tozer, Bignall

Tamworth 0-2 Wrexham
Bruna, Riley

A good start to the season with 4 wins and one loss. We were installed as one of the favorites to win the conference so this early form is encouraging. Nicholas Bignall had a fantastic month with his hat-trick against Macclesfield a highlight, he has immediately established himself as my first choice striker. Next month will be interesting as the first game is the Welsh derby against Newport County.

View attachment 326264

September:

Wrexham 4-1 Newport Co
Hughes(o.g.), Ashton, Bruna, Rodgers

Wrexham 2-0 Hyde
Riley, Bruna

Cambridge 2-2 Wrexham
Hedge(o.g), Bignall

Luton 1-1 Wrexham

Creighton

Wrexham 2-0 Dartford
Creighton, Dodd

Wrexham 4-0 Barrow
Cieslewicz(2), Bignall(2)

Nuneaton 1-2 Wrexham
​Bignall(2)

Another good month, which was pleasing as there was a large number of games. The two draws were o.k as they came against strong Blue Square Premier teams. Bignall had another good month, but the player of the month had to go to Cieslewicz for his overall contribution. The highlight of the month was obviously the victory against Newport Co as there is nothing better than hammering your rivals.

Stay tuned another update will be along soon :)

Decent start with Wrexham mate! Will be an interesting save, please can you check out mine?

View attachment 326267

October:

Wrexham 2-0 Forest Green

Bignall, Bruna

Stockport 0-0 Wrexham

Wrexham 1-0 Lincoln
Bignall

Chester 1-2 Wrexham
(F.A. Cup 4th Qual)
Naylor(o.g.), Ormerod

Braintree 3-0 Wrexham

Another good month besides from the awful result at the end, which I still can't understand now. Getting through to the first round of the F.A. Cup was important, in terms of increasing revenue. In terms of the draw we will be taking on Plymouth in Round 1, which I believe is winnable. Again I would have to say that my player of the month would be Bignall because of his goalscoring. If we can maintain this form I don't see why we can't win the Blue Square Premier this season.

There should be another update out very soon
:)

View attachment 326282

November:

Wrexham 1-1 Plymouth
(F.A. Cup 1st Round)
Riley

Southport 0-1 Wrexham
Keates

Wrexham 2-0 Hereford

Dodd, Bignall

Plymouth 1-3 Wrexham
(F.A.Cup 1st Round Rep)
Creighton, Bignall(2)

Wrexham 2-1 Gateshead
Bruna, Bignall

Hyde 0-2 Wrexham
(F.A. Trophy 1st Round)
Cieslewicz, Creighton

Kidderminster 1-2 Wrexham
Bignall, Creighton

A very good month with us progressing in both domestic cup competitions, which was pleasing. Our reward for beating Plymouth is a home tie against Brentford in the second round so we will do our best. As for the league we continued going steadily, winning every single one of our games this month. My player of the month would have to be Creighton for his solid defensive work as well as getting up the other end and scoring a couple. Next month will be crucial for our promotion credentials as it is a packed month.

Please keep reading there should be another update out later today
:)

In my FC United save, Wrexham was my main rivals through 3 seasons... Will follow, good luck mate.

Back