Wycombe BPL 3-4-2-1 Counter - Will this work?

• Thread starter Thread starter jameskil17
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5K

jameskil17

Reaction score
Ok so this is the tactic I will possibly be using in my first season in the premiership with these players being my starting eleven:

View attachment 263762

The aim of the tactic is to soak up pressure and hit on the counter since I will be up against considerably better opposition. The only things I have overridden is that I have set the two BPD stoppers to man mark and the two AMC's to move into channels to create more width

The Question I have is theoretically, will this work? and if not, what needs tweaking?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would honestly advise dropping one of the central midfielders back into centre back, and pushing the two wide centre-backs out into left and right back, and potentially dropping the other central mid into a DM position

yeah I'm not too sure though as I want to try and keep some kind of compactness since I'll be spending more of the time defending then attacking.

I would drop backa player to play defensive midfield to act as a link between defence and midfield. there seems to be too much space between defence and midfield

Counter attacking settings template: (any formation with wingers, 442 with two DLP's as DMC's is good)

when playing on the counter, its best to use a deep line to allow the opposition to commit players forward into your half before repossessing them with aggressive tackling and pressing! playing wide and quick allows the ball to be played upfield quickly to take advantage of the space now for countering.. the wingers are usually the quickest players on the field and having them set to run with ball often (as normally is by default) will help set up a successful counter attack! playing direct passing ensures that if a direct or long ball into space is an option, it will be taken and not passed around like Barca essentially allowing the opp to get back into position!

Suggested touchline shouts:

clear ball to flanks/run at defence/exploits flanks/look for overlap (only a good idea if playing at home and if you have good attacking fullbacks like Maicon/Dani Alves/Patrice Evra)/pass into space/get ball forward

Attacking settings template: (most formations)

playing quick and wide with direct passing is similar to what is mentioned above, however, with a bit more of a higher line and not only attacking when the counter is on, whenever in possession you will attack as if countering like above, counter attack box is ticked as well to ensure you will counter if the option is there as well
smile.gif

Stand off more is a different approach that works well for me in attacking tactics, it allows the opp to play around in their own half, as soon as they cross the halfway line then the players start to close down and get the ball back and from there launch attacks, you can also keep it as pressing more as well
smile.gif
it was just to show you an alternative option that some people don't use often but it still works!

The IF's ensure that you will attack, the DLF drops deep into the pocket to link up the play and play in through balls for the IF's and Poacher.. think Rooney/Hernandez partnership! The DLP allows the main playmaker to make the passes and pull the strings, never use a playmaker as the AI shuts them down very quickly.. its counter productive, trust me
smile.gif
the BWM is there as like an Anchor Man to roam around and win the ball back and lay it off to the DLP to dictate play

Suggested touchline shouts:

Get ball forward/pass into space/work ball into box (reduces long shots) exploit flanks

playing narrow counter attacking will not work mate! it might sometimes but on average, it does not! you need to play wider and quicker, you need more defensive players if you are playing a deep line to deal with the players the opp push forward, you will be outnumbered.. yes you can say that then you have the option to out number their players on the counter which is true, but I suggest having wingbacks rather or at least something like this! (if you want 3 cb and narrowish tactic...

the IF's will be your main attacking threat cutting inside, the Anchor man will mop up anyone getting past the centre mid field and assist the back three (essentially makes it 4 at the back)

the two central mids are your links to defense and attack and should play DIRECT THROUGH BALLS OFTEN

the AM is your other attacking threat through the middle, so its a 3 point attacking threat already excluding the striker..

I made a narrow 3133 and used that to make this, I have yet to test it though..

View attachment 264046

thanks for all of this, however with your 3-1-3-3 wouldn't opposition teams just simply exploit the flanks since theres no wing backs or defensive wingers?

thanks for all of this, however with your 3-1-3-3 wouldn't opposition teams just simply exploit the flanks since theres no wing backs or defensive wingers?

they can, setting the wingers to man/tight mark makes them track back and assist on defence as well as having the Cm's and Dm's on the same settings..

it is just an idea, I would not use it for me though! countering is always 442 in my books or 433 with Dm :)

they can, setting the wingers to man/tight mark makes them track back and assist on defence as well as having the Cm's and Dm's on the same settings..

it is just an idea, I would not use it for me though! countering is always 442 in my books or 433 with Dm :)

Yeah, well the 3-4-2-1 that I set out is inspired by Napoli as they are an example of a team who counter so effectively with a 3 man back, I guess I'm trying to replicate something similar to their style :)

I guess the question I have really is, it it possible to use a 3-4-2-1 to counter effectively on FM since it works in real life?

Back