Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Leicester

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rryanwilliams

Reaction score
You Say, I Play - The One Club Challenge

Back again for my second save on this website this year, having previously managed PSG but couldn't continue due to commitment issues as I'm at uni. However I've finished uni now for the year and hopefully can get a long term save going.

With this save I came up with the idea of trying to get viewers involved in my save. I'll be creating polls (if I know how to) and you make my key decisions, starting with what team to manage. I've narrowed it down to four teams, using updated transfers and promotions/relegations for the upcoming 2019/20 season.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Atletico Madrid - Some great business done already in the window with Joao Felix, Marcos Llorente and Felipe being standout signings, but with plenty of money still left in the bank from sales of Rodri and Lucas, Atletico will need a manager who can find the right players with losses of key players Godin and Juanfran also.

Borussia Dortmund - Another team who has invested well in this window after the sale of Pulisic and some great young prospects could help Dortmund prevent Bayern from winning ten league titles in a row.

Tottenham - An interesting team having come runners up in the UCL last season, will want to act on it and start to bring in some silverware, starting off by bringing in Tanguy Ndombele. A great starting XI, but will need more depth.

Leicester City - Dark horses who have the players to succeed at Leicester and hopefully bring back the successful season they had in 2015/16. Having brought in Ayoze Perez and Tielemans permanently already, a few more players could mean Leicester could be aiming for Europa League spots.

You decide which team I manage. If I get multiple votes then the team with the most votes is who I go for. Thanks for reading and wish me luck in the save. :)

Last edited:
Pre Season 2018: A Fresh Start

attachment.php

So after a close voting which was 50/50 between two teams, I decided to go with Leicester who have a strong team, and with the right signings could be challenging for Europa League spots. In these saves I like to give myself challenges and aims, short term and long term. These are what I have set:

- Director of Football will make all the signings. My only role in transfers is the having the final say of whether I want to confirm the signing or not.
- I mustn't make offers for players myself. Only add players as transfer targets then leave it up to the DoF if he buys the players or not.
- Aim for Europa League spots by the end of the 2019/20 season.
- Have a higher income than expenditure in transfer windows.
- Have 5 Leicester players in the England squad by 2022/23.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doing business straight away by bringing in Ajax star Hakim Ziyech for up to £19m, who can play a key role in our squad this season, rotating round with Maddison. Hopefully the DoF brings a few more players in, maybe a back up left back and a rotational centre mid.

attachment.php

A very solid pre season, not losing a game whilst testing out a few tactics including 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 but I think the most successful tactic was the 4-2-3-1. Standout players were Choudbury, Maddison, Iheanacho and Perez.

attachment.php
attachment.php

As expected, we we're predicted to finish 8th which wouldn't be a bad spot for the first season if we end up finishing there. An interesting top four too with the transfers going on but probably realistic. We start our campaign at home to Southampton before a tough trip away to Man Utd. Looking forward to getting the season started.

Next post: August results

Last edited:
August 2018: New Beginning

So after a strong pre season the players go into the Premier League with confidence, hoping to get three points at home to Southampton. This month consists of four league games plus starting our Carabao Cup campaign, which I'm still 50/50 on whether to prioritise it as a realistic cup we can win, or just to use it as a fixture to rotate the squad around and give some players playing time where they may not get as much in the league.

The transfer window is now closed before the league begins, and Ziyech is the only player we bring in after I was appointed. The only player who exited the club on transfer is Islam Slimani, who I felt wasn't good enough at the club and we already had enough depth in the forward position.

attachment.php

Despite hoping we could start off with a win, I'll take a point in the circumstances of going down to 10 men with 20 minutes left, but was the better team for the majority of the match.

attachment.php

A great result getting our first win of the season beating United away, but a nail biting final 10 minutes after going 3-1 up and Lingard pulling one back. Demarai Gray and Ziyech having 10/10 performances who both picked up assists for each other as well as scoring.

attachment.php

Another 3 points picked up this time taking advantage of the 10 men which Southampton couldn't do, with Gray getting another brace continuing his form.

attachment.php

Two away games against two tough teams going into them both being underdogs, but we beat Tottenham with an 89th minute winner, having gone down to ten men again for over 20 minutes. Four league games down and still undefeated.

attachment.php

2nd round of the Carabao Cup drawn to Fulham, who take us to penalties after we thought it would be a solid 1-0 win but they like to mix things up and equalise in the 90th minute. I wouldn't have exactly been disappointed had we lost on pens, but good to advance to the third round.

attachment.php

One of four teams who are undefeated in the league, but the likes of Newcastle, Burnley and Bournemouth have also had unexpectedly good starts and only Arsenal have the 100% record. Hopefully can carry on our form into September.

attachment.php

So despite the depth we have in our forward positions, I was hoping to create a tactic that involved a Pressing forward, and Vardy is the only one fully accomplished in that role who is now in his 30's. I looked through a list of strikers and Haland stood out as a PF who has good potential being only 18. I left it down to the DoF to do the business who had a £10.5m bid expected, but when it came to personal terms it broke down. Hopefully we may try go for him again in January or next season.

Next post: September results

Last edited:
September 2018: Injury Problems

Four games into the league and we've started well, as well as advancing into the third round of the Carabao Cup. Hoping we can carry on our form, injuries to Vardy and Iheanacho leave us with little options up front to get the goals, and having to rely on our attacking midfielders.

Also forgot to mention the tactic I've gone ahead with to start with in this save, I mentioned the formation but didn't include an image, so here it is. This may change later on in the course depending on the players we have in the squad, as I'd rather adapt to the players, than the players adapting to my style.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Our form against top six clubs continues coming from behind to beat Arsenal, who could've took the lead twice if it wasn't for Schmeichel with a great penalty save. Also Demarai Gray's goalscoring form continues.

attachment.php

A team I had a feeling we'd struggle against who have some great players despite only just getting promoted, so a point away from home is probably reasonable as it could be worse.

attachment.php

Back to back draws this time away again to another tough but inconsistent team, who also have some quality players that I'd like at Leicester. Felipe Anderson ran the show and could've had two or three.

attachment.php

Third round of the Carabao Cup and we see an early exit to Sheffield United which was probably justifiable as we played shocking, despite rotating the team around to rest some key players. Only positive we can take from this is that it's less fixtures to play.

attachment.php

We end the month with a dominant 4-0 win, with even Vardy getting on the scoresheet in his first game returning from injury who even though hadn't returned to full training yet, I thought I'd give a few minutes towards the end and hoping I haven't rushed him in too quick.

attachment.php

September ends with us sat in third place, remaining the only undefeated team in the league. Still the likes of Newcastle and Bournemouth performing well also but Arsenal have had the strongest start out of all and their only loss coming to us. Liverpool sit 12th, but where's Chelsea?

attachment.php

Next post: October results

Last edited:
October 2018: Continuing the Form

Settling into the league now as a new manager and the 4231 seems to be working well so deciding to stick with it for now. Only three games in October due to international break and early in the month sees a long term injury to Harvey Barnes, which is devestating especially at a young age but nothing we can do and thankful we have Ziyech in place for him.

attachment.php

attachment.php

One of those games where we dominated in all aspects of the pitch and in stats with high possession, shots and clear cut chances but finishing wasn't on show today. Glad we still got three points nonetheless.

attachment.php

Demarai Grey again continuing his form with another brace after a shaky start coming from behind to Bournemouth but we reacted well to get the win, despite the boring second half.

attachment.php

Yet again we get another win against a top six team in Chelsea, and even better being away from home and going a goal down too. Thought we were going to lose by a few after Chelsea started strong and took the lead, but a few tactical changes and we caught them on the break a couple times to get the win.

attachment.php

We now manage to go joint first in the league after winning all three games this month and still yet to be beaten in the league. A close top three so far with Tottenham not far behind, and Chelsea still struggling in the bottom half of the table.

Next update: November results

November 2018: Causing Upsets

As we remain the only team still unbeaten in the league, morale is high and we are just hoping the form can continue towards the end of the year. Just the three games again similarly to October before a hectic month in December.

attachment.php

A great result against a difficult opponent as we come from behind twice to get a deserving point. Only downside is Tielemans getting injured putting him out for a week or two.

attachment.php

Our biggest result to date as Maddison, Mendy and Chilwell run the show. Maddison picking up a hat trick of assists while three defenders get on the scoresheet as a corner tactic I've tried out has been paying off.

attachment.php

This time a fairly unconvincing win but Benkovic scoring in back to back games from corners again. At this point I'm thinking Maddison could easily reach 20 assists in the league with his set pieces and the right players to finish the chances.

attachment.php

The top four remains unchanged after another three games and international break interrupting the league again, but a few scrappy wins is what is keeping us up there with a low goal difference but a wins a win. A busy six games next month which will test the fitness of our players.

attachment.php

A nice little birthday treat getting offered a long term contract at Leicester after recent positive results. Philosophies and expectations still remain the same with a nice budget leading up to January. Shall I stick with Leicester come the end of the season or move on?

Next update: December results

Last edited:
December 2018: Back to Reality

Getting more hooked to this save as the season goes on, but getting towards the end of the year sees us play six league games within around 26 days through the winter period. We also join the FA Cup by being drawn at home to League One side Rochdale in the 3rd round.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Our long impressive form sadly ends with a humiliating defeat at home to Liverpool, and was completely outplayed for the full 90. Tried to keep the same balanced approach as I usually have done all season but I should've probably prepared more defensively in these type of games.

attachment.php

Was more disappointed in this game than the 4-0 loss to Liverpool. 3-1 up going into the 90th minute and we bottle the three points. Wish I could come up with an excuse too due to fitness or whatever but we had nearly a week break after the Liverpool game to recover.

attachment.php

Feel like my heads going as well as the players, since the heavy loss to Liverpool the team feel as though they've got the win wrapped up as we get towards the 90th minute. Hopefully these type of games don't cost us at the business end of the season.

attachment.php

This time we get the win and at this point I don't care if it's not convincing as three points is all that matters. Also getting difficult having to rotate players round to help some recover for fitness.

attachment.php

Another loss in the league within the space of five games after having such a strong start but I guess it was going to happen at some point rather sooner than later.

attachment.php

Back to the way it should be, as we smash Man United 3-1 with Vardy finding his form again. Final game of the year ends on a high at least.

attachment.php

This is how the full table is looking at the end of 2018. We drop one place as Tottenham climb from fourth to second who must've had a strong run of form in December, but quite a big gap between us and United after the 3-1 win as we clear fourth spot by seven points. Liverpool who were expected to finish second at the start of the season are slacking in seventh, but not as much as Chelsea who still sit in the bottom half of the table with new manager Frank Lampard. Wonder if he still has the job by the new year.

Next update: January results & transfers

Last edited:
January 2019: New Arrivals

2019 Arrives and we have agreements in place prior to the window opening, as well as Albrighton heading out the door as he wasn't getting enough playing time. Both 20 year olds coming in as I like to build for the future but both fail to gain work permits so I try to send them out on loan to get some experience before coming into Leicester's squad.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Overall six new arrivals in January when usually halfway through the season I don't like to tamper with the squad too much but the DoF brought in these players who I guess was needed to add depth to the squad. Whereas a lot of players move away from Leicester as there were too many players who weren't getting minutes and I wanted to get off the wage bill.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

The new year starts off with a draw which has happened numerous times this season when it seems like the players don't want to turn up to a game or get too complacent after taking the lead.

attachment.php

We advance through to the 4th round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win to Rochdale despite playing the majority of the game with 10 men and resting a lot of players. Demarai Gray scores a brace and water is wet.

attachment.php

An undeserved loss to Norwich who set up well against us in a game again where we get complacent after scoring, then Norwich go up the other end scoring a minute after.

attachment.php

Back to back losses for the first time this season in a game where we didn't get a single shot on target all game and Maitland-Niles gets on the scoresheet who at the time is linked with a move to the King Power Stadium.

attachment.php

Normal services resume in a game we desperately didn't want to lose and shouldn't lose to make it three in a row, but Adrien Silva trying to prove his worth and a regular spot in the starting lineup by getting on the scoresheet.

attachment.php

Getting revenge on Wolves for not selling Ruben Neves to us as we smash them 4-0, with Everton scoring in his first start for Leicester, as well as picking up an assist.

attachment.php

The top four stays the same and we look serious contenders for Champions League spots now as we find consistent form in the league. A good aim at the start of the season also was to not reach double figures in losses and with only four so far it is looking promising. Man Utd and Liverpool trying to play catch up which could result in an interesting second half to the season.

Next update: February results

February 2019: Race for UCL

The top four seems to be getting some shape now as realistic challengers are wheeling away from sixth and below, while we're in the middle of it all, I'd be happy if we achieved Europa League spots. Champions League would be a bonus.

attachment.php

First half looked shaky as we could have gone 1-0 down but Schmeichel saves his second penalty this season and we take the lead five minutes after, before extending it with an extra two in the second half. Maddison picks up an injury that sees him out a couple weeks.

attachment.php

Another game that involves a penalty but it's our turn to miss it. Even worse it being right at the end where we have the chance to seal a draw but Vardy misses.

attachment.php

Vardy was rested due to low fitness to Iheanacho stepped up and took his chance by scoring after we go 1-0 down to Fulham. Despite the goalless second half, our two goals in the first half give us the three points.

attachment.php

A rare draw for Leicester as no one can find the back of the net away to Bournemouth.

attachment.php

No changes to the top five, while Liverpool win the Carabao Cup. Arsenal have a seven point gap ahead of Man City which sees Arsenal as serious contenders to win the league for the first time since 2003/04.

attachment.php

A tough fixture as we get drawn to Liverpool in the 6th round of the FA Cup, so should be a thriller.

​Next update: March results

March 2019: EPL Focused

attachment.php

The time of the year where youth graduates come into the u18's, and by the looks of things two players standout with the best potential and one on the fence. Hopefully in the future I will look to invest into the youth recruitment and junior coaching so we can bring more graduates in. March is a month where we continue our fight for the top four with four premier league games, as well as a trip to Anfield in the FA Cup 6th round sandwiched in between it all.

attachment.php

Hosting Crystal Palace wasn't easy as it took 80 minutes for us to break the deadlock but the fight was exactly what we needed if we want to reach top four.

attachment.php

This time a more eventful first half as Chelsea start out the blocks quicker than us to take an early lead and although we equalised, we couldn't find the second goal and went behind again with this time being a goalless second half.

attachment.php

Glad to get a convincing win as it feels like ages since we last did, but I think it was hard not to against a team who is almost certain to get relegated.

attachment.php

A trip to Liverpool in the FA Cup 6th round, and went into this game not feeling the most confident as we previously lost 4-0 at home earlier in the season to them but at least we can fully focus on the league now.

attachment.php

A great point to take away from home who looked as though they were going to smash us from start to finish but our defence did wonders.

attachment.php

Six games remain, two points ahead of Liverpool and four points behind Spurs. Will we do it? April looks to be a tough test as we travel up to Liverpool again.

Next update: April results

Last edited:
April 2019: Finish Line in Sight

As six games remain in the league we look to fight for that 4th spot with Liverpool and Man Utd, while we have to face Liverpool this month where I think is the most important game and whoever wins could clinch that spot.

attachment.php

A good start to the month as we claim an early lead after starting on the front foot and manage to hold onto it for the remainder of the match.

attachment.php

Similarly to the last time we faced Liverpool, going into this game as underdogs I always felt it was going to be tough and after going 2-0 down it looked impossible to come back. We did manage to score a penalty in the second half however through Adrien Silva but it proved not to be enough as Liverpool overtake us and we drop to 5th.

attachment.php

Maybe our most important match this month after losing to Liverpool, we needed to come back from the defeat and keep the pressure on them, but a draw at home to Aston Villa almost gifted Liverpool the final UCL spot as we drop more points.

attachment.php

Feel as though the confidence in the players had gone after the last game as we get smashed 3-0 to Burnley, making it virtually impossible now and will have to settle for 5th. I shouldn't be disappointed however as 5th is still a fantastic finish and exceeded expectations.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After sealing a deal for Andrey in January due to his work permit getting rejected we sent him out on loan for the remainder of the season. He did get granted his work permit at a second time of trying however and will be able to feature for us next season.

Dropping all those points in April makes us currently fighting for that 5th spot now with Man United, after it seeming impossible to overtake Liverpool unless we win about 12-0 in both our remaining games. Arsenal are crowned champions who have a 10 point gap over Man City.

May 2019

attachment.php
All these injuries tallying up played a big factor in our UCL fight for the remaining games, leaving us down to bare bones.
attachment.php
Another draw away this time to Brighton which was a roller coaster of a game, with Ziyech scoring a quick brace to overturn a trailing lead, while thinking we were going to get the win before March equalised in the 80th minute. Luckily for us Man United also drew leaving it down to the final day to determine who finishes 5th.

attachment.php

It's Leicester who claim the 5th spot after Ziyech continues his goalscoring form and Everton doubling the lead to finish the season on a high. Looking forward to Europa League next season and hopefully we can do the right business in the transfer window to compete in it.

attachment.php

After such a strong start to the season, them final games where we dropped points deemed to be the most important ones as we narrowly miss out on UCL next season, but still delighted to feature in Europa League with Man Utd and the mighty Bournemouth. Chelsea embarrassingly finishing 12th in Lampard's first season who was sacked by February and replaced by Leicester's ex boss Brendan Rodgers. Sheff Utd and Aston Villa return to the Championship after just one season.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A fairly tight budget at only £53m but I think with the players we sell going towards that budget we can do some good business next season and bring in the players who are fitted to my tactic.

attachment.php

A close vote for the Fans' player of the season but Harry Maguire edges it over Maddison and Ziyech, but both get their own awards respectively. Ziyech may as well have got bargain of the season as well and would be lucky to keep hold of Ziyech, Maguire and Maddison next season.

​Next update: 2019 Pre season

Last edited:
Summer Transfers 2019

FA Cup Winners - Arsenal
Carabao Cup Winners - Liverpool
UCL Winners - Paris SG
Europa League Winners - Arsenal
C'ship Promotions - Fulham, Nott'm Forest, Sheff Wed​

A new season and my second year as Leicester manager as we have a new competition to compete for after our high finish last season. Hopefully we can bring in some key players who can improve our current squad. Similarly to last season, I'm not in charge of transfers as the job is down to the Director of Football.

Income - £206m

attachment.php

Eleven players leave the club on permanent transfer for a total fee of £206m. The DoF has done a madness and sold some key players who I would've hoped to keep hold of this season.
A. Silva - A centre mid who didn't really find his top form at the club and probably only mid-premier league club standard so he moved to Crystal Palace for up to £16.75m.
N. Mendy - Similarly to Silva, not really upper league standard so West Ham came in for him for the same price.
K. Iheanacho - Was very inconsistent throughout the season and didn't suit the pressing forward role so offered him to clubs and FC Koln came in for him.
R. Pereira - One of the key players I didn't want to lose after such a good season, but Arsenal offered an initial £32m and the DoF accepted it straight away.
W. Ndidi - Probably our biggest loss this window but for up to £60m it is probably a reasonable price and hopefully we can bring in a good replacement.
H. Ziyech - Another player who had one great season at Leicester and a bigger club coming in for him that he didn't want to turn down. Was hoping we'd get more than £26m too.
J. Maddison - Our third one season specialist who was key in securing us Europa League qualification, but Chelsea seemed to be in need of an English attacking midfielder and £37m upfront was accepted.
C. Fuchs - A back up left back we didn't really need and due to his age didn't have a future at Leicester.
J. Evans - At the age of 31 I'd prefer to move him on for as much money as I can and bring in a young, cheap centre back who has potential.

Expenditure - £168m

attachment.php

L. Kangin - A nice £15.5m deal from Valencia who can hopefully replace Maddison in that attacking midfielder role.
G. Sobolewski - A 17 year old left back with huge potential and can be back up for Chilwell.
J. Vagnoman - Hamburger have given us a bargain here for £4.9m to be our young back up right back.
E. Haland - After failing to get him in January, we manage to seal the deal in the summer for £32m who fits perfectly in the pressing forward role. While Vardy is 31 and on the decline, hopefully Haland can step up this season.
M. Cuisance - Another bargain who requested to leave Gladbach so we happily stepped in to buy him for just £16.5m to replace Silva.
D. Rice - The Englishman is our most expensive deal this summer at £47m rising to £59m who can hopefully replace Ndidi in the long term.
A. Wan-Bissaka - Didn't really have a great first season with Man United last season and was transfer listed so we went straight in for him after selling Pereira.
K. Dembele - Already well known for how much potential he has at just 17 and could feature in some cup games next season.
D. James - Our only loan signing who has flair and pace and could do well on that right wing in place for Ziyech.

attachment.php

This is our strongest XI now after all the business done, with some important back ups in case of injuries or fitness. Should be strong enough to fight for that top six spot next season.

Next update: Pre season & August results