Youth intake 3 years into game problems

Staco

Reaction score
Hey guys. Made an account on here just to see if anyone can help me with my current save. First few years of my career I had many high potential 180-200 youth come up through the game but starting about year 4 of the game I started to notice that no youth regens were over 180 potential. I thought maybe this was a one year thing but then the next year came and still no regens over 180 potential. Has anyone noticed this as you get further into the game? Maybe its just a dry spell of youth or something. ANy help would be appreciated.

By the way, I am using the fm genie to see the potentials

Hey guys. Made an account on here just to see if anyone can help me with my current save. First few years of my career I had many high potential 180-200 youth come up through the game but starting about year 4 of the game I started to notice that no youth regens were over 180 potential. I thought maybe this was a one year thing but then the next year came and still no regens over 180 potential. Has anyone noticed this as you get further into the game? Maybe its just a dry spell of youth or something. ANy help would be appreciated.

By the way, I am using the fm genie to see the potentials

with sporting clube de portugal in 8 seasons only 1 player has +170 potential. so i have more reasons to complain xD

haha diogo that sucks. I meant that there were no 185 overall potential youth regenerated from any team not just mine. However in the third year finally 2 regens over 185 did show up so in total there have been 2 regens over 185 potential in the last 3 years. Will see how the current season turns out and let you guys know.

On another note, not sure how your guys leagues are but it seems that the current overall numbers seem fairly low as well in general. Pogba is the highest at 189 then there are 5 others over 180. 9 players between 175 and 179. Is this how your guys leagues are in the future or do you have some players over 190 current ability?

It's just RNG, a roll of the dice give it enough time and you'll see more high potential players. Try adding more leagues to increase the yearly intake of youth players, preferably from high profile countries or the brazilian/argentian leagues.
Look here's a screenshot of genie scout from my save:
View attachment 146187

Last edited:
It's just RNG, a roll of the dice give it enough time and you'll see more high potential players. Try adding more leagues to increase the yearly intake of youth players, preferably from high profile countries or the brazilian/argentian leagues.
Look here's a screenshot of genie scout from my save:
View attachment 1057821

I laughed when I looked at your screenshot!!!

I guess no need to say you play with Dortmund... :)

Wow lots of 190 plus potential players there nice. I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens. The next batch of regens is coming up in my saved game so will see what happens. I see we play the same though I try to sign all the guys above 185 potential as well haha.

STACO, which playable leagues have you allowed?

I play with PSG, so I allow France: up to the 4th division (if you want to have fixtures for your reserve team).

Even if I intend to do a long term save and stay in Paris, I always allow England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina: all of them playable just in the 1st division.

Then I choose a big database (between small, medium, big, huge).

Depending of the specs of your computer, you should do it like that:

- to have more and higher transfer bids if you want to sell your players (add Russia as well in this case)
- if you want to loan your wonderkids and follow their progress in a playable league
- to have a better reserve of high quality staffs
- to have a better production of newgens (especially from Brazil and Argentina)

That's what I do and I have a similar database to SALTYDOG.

I play with a laptop, but if you have a very good quality computer, I'd probably add Belgium, Netherlands, Chili, and Mexico.

I still have newgens coming from countries not loaded in my database (Ivory Coast, Japan, Denmark, Croatia...) but they will be less frequent than the playable leagues I loaded previously.

Last edited:
Make some screens about your youth good boy (actual and potential) plz

Look, it's in May 2017 so 2 years after the start of the game and the next Messi is already generated depending on if he or you make him reach his 198 potential.

View attachment 145913

Again, I warn you it will take away your fun of the game if you always know the players PA!!!

Personnally, I don't like to buy newgens before 8 or 10 years into a save. I like to buy the REAL best young players (Neymar, Hazard, James Rodrigues, Isco, Verratti, Kante, Varane, Courtois...) and the best wonderkids (Martial, Gabriel Barbosa, Embolo, Berardi, Bernardo Silva, Zivkovic, Ruben Neves, Odegaard, Bentancur, Sane, Pavon, Renato Sanches, Laporte, Stones, Marquinhos, Rugani, Romagnoli, Bellerin, Jorge, Gaya, Donnaruma...). They all turn world class!!!

Once I shaped the team I like, I keep my players until they reach their 30+ of age and stay loyal to them. They become club favorites or legends, and I become one of their favoured personal...

If you have too many and too quickly 180+ Newgens, you'll need to find place for them and get rid of your REAL players just because you KNOW their PA. I guarantee you will lose interest in a save like that because you kind of cheated knowing their PA.

If you want to use genie scout, I advice you to wait 8, 9 or 10 seasons before opening it. Wait that there's much less real players in the database... ;)

Last edited:
Agreed the first few years of the game there are plenty of real life youth talents available so I tend to only use genie scout when I'm deep in the game or doing journeyman saves where I haven't got the time to set up extensive scouting networks at a club. PA is a great stat in terms of growth but it doesn't guarantee they'll play well, sometimes my 150-160 CA's will out perform my 180-190's and performances are what matter.

Last edited:
Agreed the first few years of the game there are plenty of real life youth talents available so I tend to only use genie scout when I'm deep in the game or doing journeyman saves where I haven't got the time to set up extensive scouting networks at a club. PA is a great stat in terms of growth but it doesn't guarantee they'll play well, sometimes my 150-160 PA's will out perform my 180-190's and performances are what matter.

I presume you mean CA here?

I tend to look at positional rating, or potential position rating when after a player. I got a CD from New Zealand once for pennies, had something like a 89% position rating. Sold him 2 years later for around £15m. His PA was only something like 133 but big clubs were after him.

I tend to look at positional rating, or potential position rating when after a player. I got a CD from New Zealand once for pennies, had something like a 89% position rating. Sold him 2 years later for around £15m. His PA was only something like 133 but big clubs were after him.

its a much better indicator than flat PA that the player will prob never get near.

its a much better indicator than flat PA that the player will prob never get near.

Totally agree with that.

For those who aren't sure about how it works, PA is just a POTENTIAL that a player can reach, but how the numbers will be attributed to a player can change from team to team, or save to save.

2 equivalent MC 150 CA/PA can be totally different. Having the right attributes, for the right player, for its right position in a relevant tactic can make him overachieve, and you selling him big bucks later.

Look at Kante, Vardy, Mahrez... Not big PA's but great repartition of their attributes in their current CA's for their position.

You guys obsess over Potential Ability far, far too much. Having 200 PA doesn't mean your regen will turn into Messi of his respective position. It doesn't matter if PA 200, 170, or 150. What matters is the starting attribute spread. If your goalkeeper starts with 2 in all the key attribiutes, he's going to be **** regardless how high PA, because too many valuable points already went elsewhere.

****, just look at the best players out there. Alonso has 170 PA. So does Lewandowski, Busquets, and so on. Giroud only has 160 and he still rips **** in FM if you set up right. But those are real players and they have real life attributes. Regens are random so you can end up with a defender who starts with 15 Long Shots and 15 Flair, and that's 30 points you can remove from your PA because they'll be wasted.