Youth Intake

• Thread starter Thread starter fm20
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 3K
F

fm20

I know there are many threads about this, but nothing satisfactorily answers how the youth intake can be improved.

It's March 2018. My Liverpool team have been relentless, winning the league and Champions League three times. I'm currently top of the league again and should win it at a canter. The club reputation has increased so we are the second most "famous" club in England and the 7th in the world. The board have been supportive of improving facilities - I currently have State of the Art training, Top youth facilities, Exceptional junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment. I have a history of bringing through youth players - one of my top U18 players has played 4 league games (scoring 5 goals in addition to his 67 U18/U21 goals) this season and will be in the first team next year. 3 others have had regular starts and 2 of those will probably be in the first team squad next year, depending on which players I sell.

My HOYD is Dave Parnaby - judging ability and potential both at 19 (along with determination), working with youngsters is at 20. He has a professional personality, which does seem to reflect on some of the players he brings through (he came in at the end of my first season).

My current youth intake has 16 players. 3 of those are from Brondby (one of my 11 affiliate clubs). The BEST of the players that have come through is an attacking midfielder - he's rated at 2-3 stars potential, but has poor determination (5). The next best two are an 18 year old GK (1.5-2.5 star potential) and a 16 year old left back (1.5-2.5 star potential). I know that players can become decent regardless of the stars, but the reality is that none of these are worth investing too much time in.

I've had the same lack of quality come through in previous years - most of my current U18 team are a minimum of 4 star with 7 players ear-marked for future first team spots. However, I've had to buy these - scouting the globe for top U18 players and buying them up to fill up my U18s.

One thing I noticed is that when the annual youth audits are done, my spending is MUCH lower than comparative teams - I can't remember the exact figure but I think the two Manchester clubs are spending about 3 times what I am. Does this actually make a difference?

I'm not expecting to get a U18 team full of wonderkids each year, but having one player in three years who might eventually make the grade would be nice. Is there anything else I can do to help with that?

Ask the board to increase junior coaching budget. From Facilities dialog, ask the board to increase youth level. I suspect that quality of your youth intake is somehow aleatory, no matter how hard you've tried to improve things.

By the way, there are two methods to increase a player's determination. First is through tutoring. Choose one tutor with determination greater than 15 and you'll see miracles. The second method is to give a player a warning for a poor play, then sometimes he admit that he must work harder and its determination or work rate increases by one.

Back