Zamora injury unfortunate - Henry

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 463

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Wolves captain Karl Henry rejects suggestions he deliberately tried to injure Fulham striker Bobby Zamora after breaking his leg during Saturday's 2-1 defeat.

More...

After seeing what he did to Barton I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately tried to injure him.

Agree very much with this blog about some of the tackles we're seeing: http://threeandin.com/2010/09/12/why-wont-match-of-the-day-analyse-foul-play-properly/

I've no problem at all with 'hard but fair' tackling. I've no problem at all with accidental bad tackles - ones where they're genuinely just mistimed. What's becoming very obvious though (and has been obvious for some time) is that some players are being deliberately targetted with illegal challenges.

Some obvious examples from the past few years for me - the number of tackles Alonso used to get aimed at his ankles by players jumping in (and not from the 'smaller' teams in the league either), and the amount of times defenders go through the back of Torres (again, not just from the 'alehouse' teams in the league).

Do think this needs to be clamped down on quite severely. The WC Final showed why teams get away with it - referees don't want to 'spoil the spectacle' or perhaps they fear creating controversy. Unless the league starts to take action and supports the referees in making the calls on the pitch, then we're just going to see more teams pushing beyond what is 'fair' and into the cynical football we used to hate when we saw it done on the continent.

totally agree, for me its the same kind of gamesmanship as diving, but worse since it often results in injuries. Wolves vs barton isa great example if that had been any other player apart from barton there would have been 2-3 red cards shown to wolves players

I completely agree with Zebedee. WTF is wrong with the football authorities? Are broken bones not serious enough? Why should the refs have to wait for something to break before showing a red card?

I don't mind Henry after what he did to Joey Barton XD

Back