• Thread starter Thread starter sunilvk7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 5K

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
Legendary midfielder believes Englishman is in 'class of his own'

Zinedine Zidane admits that one of the biggest regrets of his career is not getting the chance to play with Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes.

England manager Fabio Capello is going to try and tempt the 35-year-old to come out of his six-year international retirement to join the Three Lions for Euro 2012 after failing to get the Red Devils star to return for the World Cup this summer.

Zidane praised Scholes as one of his the finest players that he competed against in his career, and states that he laments not being able to play alongside the Englishman.

It’s only natural to want to select your best players and there is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own,” Zidane told The Mirror.

He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.

One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.

The France legend praised Scholes for the way in which he made it difficult for other players on the pitch.

He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable.

He is the type of player you want on your side, not in opposition because he could do so much damage.

He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ability.”

Scholes has stated that he regrets not joining England in South Africa, but Zidane, who returned from retirement to lead France to the 2006 World Cup final, believes that the Englishman must not think about that now.

Life is full of regrets, but it doesn’t pay to look back.

When I returned I was given lots of time to consider my position. I’m not sure he was afforded the same luxury.

Former France star Zinedine Zidane: I regret not playing with Manchester United star Paul Scholes - Goal.com

Loved every bit of it and glad that Professional players rate so highly. True Model professional and Legend. Love you ginger prince. Wish you were 10 years younger:'(

Finding this hard to believe for some reason.

I'm pretty certain Capello won't be calling Scholes up any time soon as well, he's building for the future, he's even stated as much when saying Beckham's time was up.

Pretty sure that, despite Scholes' recent performances, he is going to be written off within 2 years time.

I commend him for being able to play at the top level for so long, but 37 years old is a big, big ask for an outfield player in an International tournament.

I imagine the squad for Euro 2012 will be of an average age around 15 years younger than Scholes.

Lol this is not scholes and England squad, this is about Zidane praising Scholes.

sunilvk7 said:
England manager Fabio Capello is going to try and tempt the 35-year-old to come out of his six-year international retirement to join the Three Lions for Euro 2012 after failing to get the Red Devils star to return for the World Cup this summer.

My reply was referring to this part of your post, which means I was completely on-topic.

Thanks for playing.

huge praise for scholes, just a legend of the english game.

Who cares?

He's retired so won't be playing for them now.

People are allowed out of retirement you know...

I don't think he will play in Euro 2012. I think he will be too old and will not be able to maintain a high enough standard to be selected for the squad. Also, Fabio has said he's building for the future and it would be hypocritical to include Scholes after publicly excluding Beckham. Rejecting the chance to play in the World Cup might also put Capello off selecting him.

And I'm sure most England supporters care, because they are likely to have an opinion whether or not the feel Scholes should return to the squad.

Scholes may have regretted about not playing for England this summer....but im sure he wont loose too much sleep over this.....This forum was i think to praise one genius of the game of passing... that's scholes.....from another genius, this time flair, and creativity....Zidane....Its all of none or little irrelevance what England do from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xavi: Paul Scholes is the best midfield player of the last 20 years

Xavi Hernandez had given a man-of-the-match performance against Germany, and Spain were two minutes from reaching the World Cup final when the referee in last year’s semi-final asked him if he could have his shirt after the game. ‘If you blow the whistle a minute early, it’s yours,’ he replied.

On the verge of reaching the pinnacle of his career, the final where he would complete his full house of major honours, the sorcerer supreme of Barcelona and Spain’s magical midfields, the most unassuming of world beaters, still wasn’t taking things too seriously.

Listening to him talk about his English football heroes ahead of next week’s visit to London, it’s obvious the sport he loves and demystifies so eloquently is still, first and foremost, just a game to him — one which he and his pals just happen to play better than anybody else in the world.

His face lights up first when he is told the story of Wayne Rooney getting up from his couch to give Barca a one-man standing ovation in his living room as he watched them beat Real Madrid 5-0 last November, and then when he reels off the names of his current Premier League favourites.

‘Rooney, Scholes, Cesc (Fabregas), Nasri and Giggs,’ he says, adding: ‘I was also a big fan of John Barnes, Chris Waddle and Matt Le Tissier. And although it is a different style, I liked the Paul Ince and Roy Keane partnership Manchester United had. They would have been my team had I moved to England.’

Paul Scholes receives special praise: ‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

‘He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.’

Xavi won the World Cup aged 30, one year older than Scholes when he retired from international football feeling undervalued by the then England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...vi-Scholes-best-midfield-player-20-years.html

So glad that he is well respected and rated by the professional players. First Zidane, now Xavi. To get the praise from two of the best players is a big achievement. Had he played in Spain, he would have got much more recognition as they love players who can pass and maintain possession.

This sums up perfectly how much he is rated among his peers.

When David Beckham for the first train with Real Madrid, the first question he asked his new partner is not what it was like moving to Spain. Nor will stay in the region where the Madrid. Of course it's not about his wife, Victoria or Posh Spice. But, "What was it like playing in a team with Paul Scholes?"

Huge Praise for Scholes, always was cast in the shadow as people only thought about the Zidane's and Xavi's

He was never really 'cast in the shadow'...

But he was hardly ever called the best passer in the Game, people always thought the likes of Xavi and Iniesta are the greatest of the lot while Scholes was up there with them in his prime

But he was hardly ever called the best passer in the Game, people always thought the likes of Xavi and Iniesta are the greatest of the lot while Scholes was up there with them in his prime

In terms of passing he is still up there with them.

nope, in his prime yes but not now

Xavi and Scholes are in different level to everyone when it comes to passing, even today.

Scholes long range passing is unmatched even at this age he is the best when it comes to long range passes.

Xavi and Scholes are in different level to everyone when it comes to passing, even today.

Scholes long range passing is unmatched even at this age he is the best when it comes to long range passes.

Ian Holloway and Charlie Adam might disagree loll...XD

Back