Creating Tiki Taka guide by Igneos Eructid

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Philosophy:

Very fluid - Tiki taka is a derivate of total football. But instead of attacking, it uses a more reserved approach. The basis is the idea that every player must be able to play everywhere on the pitch. The players must be closely connected, compact, in order to have more passing options and communicate. All players are on the same mentality, and all players contribute equally in attack, support and defense. They rely on reading each others game and movement, to be able to move at the right spot at the correct time.

Mentality:

Standard - This used to be called strategy, and now it is called mentality. Rightfully so. In case of counter and defend mentality, it basically means you are scared of your opponent, you are trying not to conceede, and if possible score on the counter. Contain just means try not to lose. In case of control and attack mentality, it means you think you are the better team, so you will try to attack your opponent and try to score. Less agressive mentalities means passes backwards, a safer approach, whilst more agressive mentalities mean passes toward opponent goal. None of this is tiki taka. Tiki taka is about making the best possible pass at any given moment, and that means passes forward, sideways and backwards, not leaning in any direction. Possession is the key to tiki taka, and that is why this is so important. As wikipaedia states, tiki taka is a "directionless extreme". With all players at exact middle mentality, that is exactly what you will get. Neither defensive, nor offensive...

Basic team instructions:

Short passing - To have a high pass completion, passes should be shortened.
Retain possession - additional shortening of passess and lowering tempo
Very low tempo - To make the best possible pass, tempo should be lowered
Work ball into box - Additional option to keep the ball and reduce waste
Play out of defence - Additional shortening of passess to defence. They must not clear the ball long
Play narrower - Additional compactness to formation. Compactness will help with passing options, pressing and defending
Hassle - It is easy to hassle in a compact formation, so why not use it?
Push (much) higher up - Hassling will tire out your players, so you must make the pitch smaller by pushing up. However, you should make sure you don't push MUCH higher up if using a DM player, as he also needs space.
More Roaming - Should help with passing options
Offside trap - optional, with a high defensive line there is risk of counter attacks
Run at defense - optional, offers an alternative way to pass through defence, instead of passing around, you will run toward goal

Additional instructions:

If opting for offside trap, you should use two central defenders on defend duty. Not limited, not ballplaying, not any kind of other mix, just two central defenders on defend. Having said that, you need to make sure your players are well connected, and that you do not create gaps, so perhaps if opting for offside trap, you shouldn't be using attacking sidebacks, or you should at least cover that space with a DM player or two. You should make sure space is well covered, and distance from players is not to big, and you can easily check that by checking heat maps and player role and duty explanations. For example, a dlps pushes up, so you can use a more agressive winger next to him, or if you opt for cms role that drops deeper, a winger with a support or defend duty. Gaps are your enemies! The use of partnerships is also very important. In midfield, you should have creativity, holding and connector roles and duties. Agressor can also be used, but for this style, midfield should win the ball as a unit. If using winger and sidebacks, make sure they work together, one goes for cross, one covers behind him, or one cuts inside, other goes wide. Partnerships!

Last edited:
nice advise i always wanted to make my own tikka tactic but my only thing i don't do or not sure of is player instructions

frankly speaking the Example tac. is far from being the best i've ever seen, but the whole idea seems to be very interesting.

nice advise i always wanted to make my own tikka tactic but my only thing i don't do or not sure of is player instructions

there is no need for player instructions

frankly speaking the Example tac. is far from being the best i've ever seen, but the whole idea seems to be very interesting.

Really? Well, you're the expert...

You`re my hero, broski.

View attachment 686910

This is how i roll.

Why Broski? And are you using def. wingers or wide mids?

Which tactic is that!?! I have never seen possession numbers like that.

He used my text as a template to create his own tactic. These figures are normal, especially if you're Barca playing on your own pitch...

makes no difference loosing every game now this fm 14 load of ****

just that AI seems to just out do u every time lol

But will keep going will try out run at defence :)

Last edited:
you might want to use creative roles in your midfield...just look at pi screen and see which roles have creativity highlighted...also, you should use 3 attack duties, 3 defend and 4 support, plus gk

will try that just draw after draw 2-0 up second half 2-2 like that every game players do stupid things lol

no point lol i quit loosing every game but got 65% possesion lol got over it

Just set this up with a 451, set out with 4 def, 2 dm, mr ml, amc, cf. Just won 1st game home 2-0 against Chelsea (Wigan 2020/21 season). Forgotto set oi's but good start.

What training would you recommend?

Just set this up with a 451, set out with 4 def, 2 dm, mr ml, amc, cf. Just won 1st game home 2-0 against Chelsea (Wigan 2020/21 season). Forgotto set oi's but good start.

What training would you recommend?

I usually use individual training to improve player attributes. As general training I use team cohesion, and as match training tactics until fluid, and the leave to assistant...

Think im going to set the players to their roles, but thats the training im using anyway. Will update you as I go. Oh btw im also using run at defence shout