r3ckon3r

Reaction score
Hi

Nearly every game where the opposition has had a man sent off resulting in a player advantage to me, the opposition always manage to control the game after. Literally every single highlight will show them attacking my box and I even played against QPR at home, who on paper are simply awful and habituate in the relegation zone, and they managed to beat me 2-1 (I'm Arsenal and have signed class players like Draxler, Volland, Inigo Martinez, Papadopoulos, Bender, Badelj etc.).

The strange yet annoying thing is I seem to be controlling the games prior to gaining the man advantage and thereafter the other team manages to put me on the back foot.

This just happened with Schalke where I was controlling the game at 2-0, they get Howedes sent off and yet they manage to pin me back for 35 minutes and score 2 goals.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's deterring me from playing this game.

Thanks

With clever tactical changes after the RED card for opposition, it is actually just pure unlucky to not win the game. I always instruct my player to play WIDER and DIRECT game as if opposition has one man less than you, then they are unable to play WIDE formation and react to direct passing, there will always be one man shortage for them. Sometimes it is good to set PLAY OUT OF DEFENCE and even use COUNTER strategy to draw opposition to your third of the pitch before taking them on counter-attack.

It isn't a bug. If the opposition goes down to 10 men, they'll be very defensive and look for the rare counter attack to get goals. You'll need to be careful not to play right into their hands by over-committing. 11 v 10 doesn't equal an automatic win. How do you set up against these teams when they're down a man?

I use retain possession, play from defence and hassle opponents.

Of course I know it doesn't mean an automatic win. That was far from my point - my point is that the game changes drastically and uncharacteristically in their favour when they go a man down. This wasn't the case in previous versions.

Last edited:
Why do you use those instructions?

It isn't fair to compare it to previous versions. The AI and ME is getting better each version.

I'll also add that 3 team instructions isn't the sum of how you line up, but it will already make things difficult for you. Formation, roles, duties and mentality all play a part. Perhaps bigger than team instructions. You can select a good set of team instructions, but still over-commit by having too many attacking roles or play with a very attacking mentality, when it isn't needed and perhaps is having the opposite effect you're hoping it will.

I only use that when the team go down to 10 me (have been using it for the last 3 times to no effect) - only because leaving it blank results in the opposition controlling the game when down to 10 men anyway.

Otherwise I use what my assistant manager instructs me to.

With regard to attacking roles etc, I usually either play 4-4-2 (2 attacking wingers) or 4-2-3-1. With the former I use one attacking advanced forward and one support deep lying forward. On the wings I use two APs, one with attack on the deep lying forward's side and one with support on the attacking forward's side to balance it out. If playing 4-2-3-1, I have one advanced forward, 2 support APs, 1 attack AP and two central midfielders - one as a ball winning midfielder (defend) and one as a deep lying play maker or box to box midfielder (either used as support).

Last edited:
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're giving this any thought. You're just picking Instructions at random because having none doesn't work?

I don't think the instructions you chose (two in particular) will be helping you "get highlights", but I'm also wondering if you have a bad tactical setup in general against ultra defensive teams when they're a man down or possibly in general. If you post your complete tactic as you use it when the opposition is down a player, maybe you could get some pointers.

Those TI aren't logical at all. Why did you pick them?

Anyway, because you can't deal with 10 men doesn't mean there is a bug. I, and many other users have dealt with 10 men before so why haven't we come across this "bug"?

Users need to stop blaming the game no matter what when they lose. If you're against 10 men and you some how throw away a winning position you are to blame. Playing against 10 men can be tough but generally easy to hold them off.

Think about this. They are going to sit back seen as they're down to 10 men and are losing. Try and be a bit more patient and stretch them. Don't go balls to the wall attacking trying to bury them (it can work, just not all the time) then cry "bugs, it's bugs" when you lose.

It's funny, because neither of you have even elaborated WHY my tactics fail but merely dismiss my tactics as useless. It would be great to know why exactly they don't work or give me ideas to change this.

As it stands to me it's a bug because it happens too frequently, even against lesser teams.

Thanks for your input but it's been meaningless.

Skunkos, thank you for your input though, it was at least constructive.

Don't think I'll visit these boards again when I get responses from people who think they know it all but can't even back it up with useful information.

Last edited:
It's funny, because neither of you have even elaborated WHY my tactics fail but merely dismiss my tactics as useless. It would be great to know why exactly they don't work or give me ideas to change this.

As it stands to me it's a bug because it happens too frequently, even against lesser teams.

Don't think I'll visit these boards again when I get responses from people who think they know it all but can't even back it up with useful information.

If you want some meaningful feedback off people you need to provide screenshots you can't just expect people to fish through a wall of text and give you answers

Grow up.

Nobody has told you why they fail, because you still haven't posted what your tactic looks like, even though I've asked for it twice.

You don't even appear to think about what you're doing tactically, so that's something else we're trying to get you to do. Bluebird123 has given you food for thought, which you seem to ignore completely.

I'll ask for the third and last time - Post your complete tactic. Complete as in all roles, duties, mentality, TIs and PIs.

I had this problem on FM13. However in FM14 I feel when you have 11 against 10 men, you usually control the game with ease.

It's simple FANBOIS