100 greatest scary moments

madridboy86

Reaction score
did anyone watch channels four 100 greatest scary moments last night it was aired in late 2003, but its still great to watch :D

I can't find the list anymore :(

Started to watch it but then the girlfriend told me to turn it off as she was getting too scared.... What came top?

Would also be interested to see this list, and whether or not I agree.

I spook rather easily.

The Shining's 'Here's Johnny!' moment was number 1. I just didn't find that movie scary at all.

Started to watch it but then the girlfriend told me to turn it off as she was getting too scared.... What came top?

the shining got top stop

Would also be interested to see this list, and whether or not I agree.

I spook rather easily.

I have it record on my SKY Plus box so I'll post it up onto youtube so everyone can see it, some are really stupid lol

Full list shown in spoiler

100. Train Pulling In A Station(1895)

The original scary movie. Shot by the lumiere brothers, the first ever publicly shown moving images depicts a train arriving at Marseille Station. That might not sound too scary to modern-day movie audiences but those who went to the film's first screenings in 1895 were well and truly terrified, thinking that the train was going to burst through the screen and kill them. Many of them ducked under their seats!

My Comments:

kinda made you wanna shout "HOLY **** A TRAIN.... OH HEAVENS NO"

99. The Night Of The Hunter(1955)

A deeply creepy and maddeningly tense 50s thriller. Robert Mitchum's performance went a long way to defining on-screen evil as a crazed preacher, with the words 'Love' and 'Hate' tattooed on his hands, who is obsessively searching for $10,000 hidden by a condemned convict. Having married and then murdered the dead man's wife, the preacher then turns his attention to her two children. In a terrifying moment, the kids flee from him into a swamp and he pursues relentlessly.

My Comments:

***** i watched this and it was like "OMFG WHAT THE **** IS HAPPENING" it was way to dark to actually understand what was happening!!

98. Doomwatch(1970)

Groundbreaking BBC sci-fi series, which combined the talents of the Doctor Who production team and Dr Kit Pedlar, a scientist renowned for his strong views on the ethics of scientific progress. Doomwatch is the nickname for the fictional Department of Measurement of Scientific Work, whose team (which included a young Robert Powell) are charged with identifying and confronting scientific dangers which might afflict the public. The creepiest episode? When society is under attack from a super intelligent breed of rats.

My Comments:

this made me **** myself laughing, it was sooo ******* stupid, the man was holding a fake rat in his hand pretending it was going for him... sooooo ****** scary....

97. Roswell(1995)

The alleged alien autopsy footage linked to the famous Roswell incident of 1947 was first broadcast in the UK and in the US nearly 50 years later. The footage was of a small naked humanoid creature with a round bulbous stomach, six fingers, a gashed leg and large eyes on egg shaped head. Many believed the footage to be fake but as no one has actually seen an 'alien' it also left viewers with a questioning fear. Could this really be genuine?

My Comments:

the alien looked like one of those "my size" dolls.... soo fecking fake!

96. The Prodigy's Breathe Video(1997)

The memorably freaky video for Breathe was set in a slum-like apartment. Keith Flint, with one side of his hair dyed green and the other purple, runs around the flat occasionally picking fights with the walls. Liam appears in bed, wondering what a clone of himself is doing in the same room and why an ugly reptile is under his bed. The camera pans around the flat, showing sinks throwing up strange-coloured water and insects.

My Comments:

how exactly is this scary??????????????

95. The Singing Ringing Tree(1958)

The Singing Ringing Tree was an allegorical fairy-tale series made in East Germany in 1958 and bought in by the BBC children's department to be broadcast as a Tale From Europe in 1964. The story was about a rude and spoilt princess who is courted by a prince, who then turns into a bear because of a bargain he makes with an evil dwarf. The scariest moment came towards the end when the evil dwarf flies and cackles around a ring of fire, before getting his come-uppance.

My Comments:

yeah ok.. this was just STUPID!! it was soooo pathetic it made me laugh..i mean..a flying midget..lol

94. Cat People(1942)

A Serbian woman living in New York becomes convinced that if she makes love to her husband she will turn into a cat. What could have easily been a disastrous low budget B-movie for RKO was turned into a cult horror classic by producer Val Lewton and director Jacques Tourneur. The pair instinctively understood that audiences are frightened more by what they think they can see rather than what they actually see. There are two prime examples: in one scene, a woman is being stalked by an unseen feline presence through the park. Suddenly a bus screeches into frame with a hiss of breaks, giving cinema one of its first real movie 'jumps'. And in another moment, a woman swimming in a pool is watched by a cat, with only its shadow present on screen. The dramatic plight of the isolated heroine is layered with psychological insight, elevating Cat People in the eyes of some into one of the best movies of all time.

My Comments:

come on.. the stupiest thing you could do in a 'horror' film is run.. if you run.. YOU DIE!!

93. The Thing From Another World(1951)

A defrosted, ferocious alien sends shivers down the spine of a bunch of scientists and Air Force crew in an Antarctic research team. Howard Hawks' 1950s cult classic horror/sci-fi tale is widely believed to have launched a decade of similar, blood-sucking monster flicks and, despite the fact that it was cheaply made, with rickety, dated special effects, it still has a spooky, tense power that has stood the test of time.

My Comments:

what can i say... the 1950's was a stupid time -_-

92. The Stone Tape(1973)

1970s BBC drama about a group of electronic scientists ****-bent on discovering the next new recording format. They move into an old building and, discovering that one of the rooms is haunted, set about trying to record the ghost. They come up with a theory that hauntings are visual apparitions caught in the stone walls of buildings and if they could only learn how to read the 'stone tape' they'd discover their new recording format. At the end, Jane Asher follows in the footsteps of the ghost and is attacked by an evil force made up of bizarre scary special effects, letting out a chilling scream.

My Comments:

this is as scary as the care bears!!

91. Star Wars(1977)

One of the most famous villains in cinema history, Darth Vader has scared many a young Jedi with his penchant for all in one black suits and heavy breathing. Firstly, he does away with Obi Wan Kenobi, and then he chops off Luke's hand and makes a family announcement. Unfortunately, Vader lets himself down in the end by becoming a good guy again and helping to bring down the Empire. When he was bad, he was very very bad.

My Comments:

WTF!! darth vader seems more like a pedophile rapist then a frightening scary man!!

90. Dracula(1931)

Regarded by many as the definitive adaptation of Bram Stoker's Gothic novel, Tod Browning's atmospheric Dracula bears a significance that's only partly the result of its content. It introduced cinema-goers to the extraordinary talents of Bela Lugosi, it was one of the first successful talkies and it went a long way to sustaining Universal through the lean years of the Depression. More than that, it established the look and tone of a genre as enduring as the Count himself.

My Comments:

hmmm.... will NEVER compare to christopher lee as dracula but ok.. a vampire.. IS NOT SCARY!! people were such wimps back then!

89. Protect & Survive(1975)

These terrifying nuclear war-based government Public Information Films stemmed from the time when we thought we really were going to have to bury our relatives in temporary graves next to the house. With simplistic graphics reminiscent of a child's drawing and the harrowing drone of the three-minute warning siren, the films told us all what to do if the bomb was dropped. Particularly nasty were the instructions about casualties to be tagged and dumped in another room and then buried in shallow graves. Made in 1975, the films were never actually shown they were only to be broadcast if the worst happened - but the accompanying leaflet was distributed.

My Comments:

this was kinda....creepy! when he say's "if someone dies, move the body to next room" wtf.... you don't really want to hear that sort of thing..

88. The Day Of The Triffids(1981)

This adaptation of John Wyndham's novel (and a 1962 film of the same name), became a much-publicised BBC 80s production. The earth is terrorised by a bunch of man-eating Triffid plants after a close encounter with a comet and its fall-out of meteor showers strikes much of the population blind. What was it like to be chased by a plant? Very scary if you look at the faces of Bill Mason (played by John Duttine) and some of the other sighted survivors as they hear and see those triffids advance.

My Comments:

lmao attack of the killer plants!! this is probably what allen titchmarch would see if he ever did acid!!

87. Cracker(1993)

Cracker starred Robbie Coltrane as Fitz, the maverick wise-cracking, hard-drinking, gambling forensic psychologist. To Be A Somebody sowed the seeds for writer Jimmy McGovern's unforgettable dramatisation of the Hillsborough tragedy. Robert Carlyle played a terrifying Scouse psychopath, Albie, who snaps after the death of his father. He exacts revenge for the Hillsborough disaster in his own twisted way, killing both a shopkeeper and police officer Christopher Eccleston, in one of the most shocking scenes shown on UK television. But the scene with real nail-biting tension had Albie face to face with Cracker, who is holding the unexploded parcel bomb that Albie sent to the police. The building is cleared until it's just the two of them. Tick tock, tick tock...

My Comments:

this could be were all the suicide bombers got their ideas from!!!

86. Night Of Dead - the film(1945)

A pioneering horror classic, and still one of the most successful anthologies to date, with five episodes directed by four different directors. Horror anthologies hardly ever work since the episodic structure rarely allows for the convincing development of character and suspense. This is a rare and terrifically frightening exception. Staying at a ghostly Victorian mansion, five guests take in turns to recount their creepy visions. Most frightening is the sequence starring Michael Regrave, as a loopy ventriloquist being taken over by his dummy.

My Comments:

since alot of people are scared of dummies this would be just for them.. but to be honest..its kind of pathetic!!

85. Peeping Tom(1960)

A truly chilling tale of a shy studio cameraman who spends his nights filming call girls as he kills them with the spiked leg of his camera tripod. Audiences were repulsed by this premise alone, but the killer's refinement of attaching a mirror to the front of his camera so his victims could watch themselves dying marked Peeping Tom as a thriller beyond the pale. Notwithstanding the fact that film making duo Powell and Pressburger had delivered a string of classics from A Matter of Life and Death to Black Narcissus the film was butchered by ten minutes and then eventually pulled. Michael Powell's career never recovered. Martin Scorsese restored a print in the early 80's and when the film was re-released the critics hailed it as a classic.

My Comments:

it was like a bad **** film gone horrible wrong, it was THAT GAY!!!

84. Cape Fear(1961)

A psychopathic rapist, out on parole, seeks out the defence lawyer who he says betrayed him, and targets him and his family for terrifying revenge. Martin Scorsese's blockbusting 1991 version of this film, starring Robert De Niro as the ex-con out for revenge, has already become a modern classic, but it is J Lee Thompson's 1961 original that still, even now, offers the greatest thrills and shocks. Defiantly violent, and oozing with psychological horror, the film was years ahead of its time when it was released, and, in Robert Mitchum, uncovered the most menacing psychopath ever to appear on screen.

My Comments:

don't really remember this but oh well..seems gay anywayz!

83. Whistle & I'll Come To You(1968)

This black and white Jonathan Miller adaptation of an MR James ghost story had an eerie sense of foreboding throughout as we saw an eccentric professor (Michael Hordern) spend a holiday in Norfolk. The ultimate horror occurs when Hordern wakes up one night and the bed sheets on the spare bed in his room stiffen and move as if possessed by a spirit. The professor's not sure whether it is a ghost or whether he's gone mad.

My Comments:

again i don't remember it.........

82. Captain Scarlet(1967)

Sometimes the scariest thing is not what you see on TV, but what you don't see. The Mysterons are the ultimate example. Kept invisible by creator Gerry Anderson because he didn't want them to appear 'wrong' if life were ever found on Mars, this alien race struck terror into children from Bolton to Bognor without ever being seen. A mere flash of light and the phrase "This is the Voice of the Mysterons" was pant-wettingly frightening to kids in the Sixties. If only they'd known that the man behind the voice would later star in Emmerdale Farm, that warm trickle of fear might have been avoided.

My Comments:

HAHAHA WTF!! how is this scary..even in the least.. its just puppets.. tho not a nasty as puppet *** o.o

81. Brookside(1995)

Nearly 9m people tuned into the moment in January 1995 when Eddie Banks and Jimmy Corkhill discovered the gruesome remains of Trevor Jordache's body whilst digging up the Jordache's patio in search of a mysterious source of water coming into Eddie's back garden. If Ena Sharples having a go at someone in the Rovers had been the scariest soaps had got in the past, this plot took it to a completely new level. Soap would never be the same again.

My Comments:

a body in the garden..how original..not!! lets face it..soaps are ****!

80. Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs(1937)

One of the all-time great Disney animations, and an unexpectedly resonant story, with oh-so-demure Snow White brilliantly counterpoised by the Wicked Queen and those great character 'actors' - the Dwarfs. The Queen's quest is to rid herself of Snow White forever so that she can become "the fairest of them all" once again. Of course, this being Disney, she fails to bump Snowy off and it is she who comes to a painful end. So painful, in fact, that the scene in which she morphs from witch to harmless old woman was cut by the censors when the film was first released so that it could receive a U rating.

My Comments:

holy shizz..anyone who finds a disney film scary seriously needs some help.. its a cartoon for christ sake -_-

79. 1984(1954)

On 12th December 1954 George Orwell's controversial play was transmitted, live from the BBC, to an audience of 9m people. Never before in the history of television had so much fuss been caused by one programme. Even today, few other programmes have been as controversial and 1984 stands as a landmark in scary TV history. The Daily Express reported that a woman had collapsed and died whilst watching the play and MPs complained about the level of "sexual and sadistic tastes" in the programme. So what caused all the fuss? Rats. Torture. Mind control. Remember the scene with Peter Cushing and the rats and, even 50 years later, you might be prompted to write a stiff letter of complaint yourself.

My Comments:

considering what its called..why was it not made in 1984.. i mean it was made in 1954 so how the **** did they not what 1984 was like.......o_o

78. The Incredible Hulk(1970's)

The Incredible Hulk was adapted from the Marvel comic to become one of the seminal images of Seventies TV from across the pond. Dr David Bruce Banner two names, two personalities was a fugitive scientist exposed to gamma rays and who became the jolly green giant known as the Incredible Hulk when under stress. With the fantastic line, "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry", his clothes ripped from his body, he developed muscles that would put Arnie to shame and he turned bright green and into a different actor, Lou Ferrigno, multiple Mr Universe winner.

My Comments:

lmao **** then, **** now... need i say more!

77. The Twilight Zone(1963)

The Twilight Zone was the brain-child of writer/presenter Rod Serling and set the standard for sci-fi series to come. This cult phenomenon was an anthology series with a different setting, story and characters each week. One of the scariest episodes was called Nightmare at 20,000 Feet and featured William Shatner, terrified by the sight of a goblin through his plane window. Strangely, no one else can see it sabotaging the plane.

My Comments:

william shatner..in a twilight zone ep..he's ruined it for me now.. -__- they could of picked a better ep to air tho..like the talkie tina one!!

76. Children Of The Stones(1976)

Children's ITV drama broadcast in 1977 about a village held in the grip of psychic forces. The series centred around a father and son who came to live in a quiet English village called Milbury, which featured a rather spooky stone circle. They discover that everyone seems to be under the influence of strange psychic forces and for that reason the series is often referred to as The Wicker Man for children. Children of the Stones starred Gareth Thomas before he went on to fame in Blake's 7.

My Comments:

this was PAINFUL to watch, kids CANT act..ugly little ***** they were.. the graphics made me cry with laughter!!

75. Lonely Water(1973)

You'll remember it when you see it. Who could forget the black-hooded ghoul threatening kids? This was the scariest of all the Public Information Films inflicted on schoolchildren in the 70s by an obviously sadistic government who delighted in striking fear into the hearts of every kid in the country. Even more scary than boys electrocuted by pylons or being cut to ribbons by glass on a beach, no young 'un went within spitting distance of a pond, lake or quarry after seeing this. Voiced by Donald Pleasance, this ad featured the faceless, hooded 'spirit of dark and lonely water' dragging children to their deaths in ponds full of old bikes and shopping trolleys. And the chilling catch-phrase, "I'll be baaack!" has spawned a rather famous copycat.

My Comments:

you'd never want to swim ever again after watching this, it was some stupid advert to warn you about the dangers of the water..how crappy!

74. The War Game(1964)

Peter Watkin's chilling drama documentary about a nuclear attack on Kent exposed the nation's Civil Defence programme and gave the public a grim realisation of the consequences of such an attack. Made for the BBC, it was banned from television broadcast for 20 years because of the disturbing scenes. However the ban did not stop its cinematic distribution and it went on to win four major film awards, before being broadcast on the BBC in 1985 as part of a nuclear war After The Bomb strand.

My Comments:

nothing says horror like burnt faces and melting eyeballs!!!!

73. Alice Cooper

Despite recent attempts to steal his crown by acts such as Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper must still rank as the scariest pop star ever. Sharing his stage name with a 17th century witch, the man born Vince Furnier almost single-handedly invented 'shock rock'. To accompany hits like School's Out and Elected, his shock-horror stage show - alongside child-unfriendly TV appearances on Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test featured coiled snakes, giant spiders and bleeding, beheaded babies (dolls, of course!).

My Comments:

how is alice cooper scary!!?? intertesting yes but scary no!

72. Frankenstein(1931)

The finest screen adaptation of Mary Shelley's Goth classic, this story of the hulk-like being given life and then mistreated by his creators became the definitive monster horror film. The most famous scene is the one where Frankenstein befriends a girl by a lake and then throws her in and accidentally drowns her, a scene tinged not just with horror, but tragedy. Much of the success of the movie must be attributed to Boris Karloff's outstanding performance, who with the slightest of gestures hinted at the humanity beneath the monster.

My Comments:

frankie is by far the STUPIEST monster ever! he's ****...

71. Michael Jackson's Thriller(1983)

As Michael Jackson and his girlfriend take a shortcut through the graveyard on the way home from a date Jacko turns into a werewolf, then a zombie, and gets down and funky with the undead. Filmed way back when Jacko's face wasn't the scariest thing about him, this seminal eight-minute video was the first and some say best - scary pop video. Millions stayed up late to watch its first showing on Channel 4 and weren't disappointed. Made by the team behind An American Werewolf In London and featuring the voice of horror legend Vincent Price as the 'rapper', its special effects were stunning.

My Comments:

if you find this scary you need to get a life or go play in traffic!!

70. Quatermass(1950's)

The Quatermass series was the X-Files of its day and set the boundaries of top-notch scary TV to come. In the days before video, pubs and clubs emptied as the nation rushed back to their collective armchair to watch mad scientist Prof Quatermass battle with Martians. Quatermass And The Pit was the third of the series, and the scariest of the lot. When a shell is found during building work in London, the authorities think it's an unexploded bomb. It's far more sinister, containing Martians who visited the earth five million years earlier. But that doesn't mean they're dead...

My Comments:

lol it looked sooooooo gay!!

69. The Tripods(1984)

Alien tripods take over Earth controlling human adult minds so it's naturally down to a couple of boys to start a resistance. This invading force of giant three legged machines became a sci-fi monster, feeding on the fear of 'man vs machine'.

My Comments:

your tipical children save all film, which makes it EXTREMELY gay!!

68. Shallow Grave(1994)

Twisted, funny thriller from the director of Trainspotting. Ewan McGregor, Christopher Ecclestone and Kerry Fox star as a trio of flatmates who suddenly find themselves in the money when their new flatmate mysteriously dies in his room, leaving behind a suitcase full of notes. Their new-found wealth corrupts all of them in different ways, but it is Ecclestone's gradual transformation from likeable geek into a dangerous paranoid mess that provides the most thrills, a transformation which begins when he is chosen to hack the body of their deceased flatmate into a pile of easily disposable pieces.

My Comments:

makes you think..never share a flat with a geek..he'll only try and kill you!

67. Misery(1990)

Compelling adaptation of Stephen King's novella about an obsessive fan who holds her favourite author prisoner while he satisfies her depraved literary demands. Packed with gripping mind games and sick humour, the film stars Kathy Bates as writer Paul Sheldon's "number one fan", Annie Wilkes. Most stomach-churningly horrific moment? When Wilkes prevents Sheldon from escaping her lair by breaking both his legs with a sledgehammer.

My Comments:

one of my favorite films of all time, theres nothing more arrousing then watching someone snap someones ankles with a sledgehammer!!

66. Theatre Of Blood(1973)

Shakespeare has never been so much fun... Vincent Price chews the scenery as the ham actor extracting a ****** revenge on the critics who ended his career. After a very public humiliation at the Critics' Circle awards, pompous Shakespearean actor Edward Lionheart hurls himself into the Thames. He hasn't died however and Lionheart decides to kill each of the critics who scoffed at him in the same manner as in Shakespeare's plays. One particularly gruesome scene sees him feeding a critic his own poodles.

My Comments:

a film starring the great & wonderful vincent price, theres nothing better then watching a fat man eat his own poodles

65. Fatal Attraction(1987)

A thriller with a scene so unforgettably horrible (particularly if you're a fan of rabbits) that it spawned a new term - the bunny boiler. Michael Douglas is the errant husband who can't resist what he thinks will be a straightforward fling with an alluring Glenn Close. Little does he know that, before long, good old Glenn will have broken into his house and make a tasty stew out of the family's pet bunny rabbit!

My Comments:

lets be honest, you'd rather hump the dead bunny then michael douglas!!

64. Reservoir Dogs(1991)

Quentin Tarantino's groundbreaking ****** heist movie. Undeniably brutal, it's also very funny, the killing interspersed with sardonic asides. But no humour can disguise the delicious horror of the film's famous ear-cutting scene, when Michael Madsen's Mr Blonde, who has captured and tied up a policeman, casually dances around to Stuck In The Middle With You before slicing off the cop's ear with a flick knife.

My Comments:

omfg the slicing of the ear is one of the greatest moments ever, for me it was like having ***, felt good!!

63. Armchair Thriller(1978)

Armchair Theatre was ITV's landmark drama anthology series which went out on Sunday night in the Seventies and was a huge success. Sometimes it changed its format and called itself Armchair Thriller when it grouped together mystery and thriller plays. Quiet As A Nun spawned the Jemima Shore Investigates series, the scariest moment of the episode occurring when journalist Jemima Shore climbs up some steps into an old attic and finds a faceless nun is rocking in her chair.

My Comments:

any program that starts with an armchair is bound to be gay -_-

62. Suspiria(1976)

From the master of European horror Dario Argento comes a horrifying tale of sorcery, murder and dying waifs in ballet shoes. The first film of his never complete Three Mothers Trilogy, Suspiria is the story of young American dancer Jessica Harper who travels to Europe to enrol at a famous ballet school. She soon discovers that the school is merely a facade concealing a dark world of sinister witchcraft and that a murderer is on the loose. A horror classic full of grand sets, intense visual imagery and death portrayed with aesthetic abandon.

My Comments:

the graphics were the most scary part!! -_-

61. Blue Velvet(1986)

One of David Lynch's best and most controversial films, it gained particular notoriety for its depiction of Isabella Rossellini's dangerously dependent relationship with psychopathic kidnapper Dennis Hopper. In one such scene, Kyle MacLachlan, a playing a teenager drawn into the murky world beneath the surface of a small town, is spying on Rossellini from her cupboard when Hopper suddenly returns home. He then becomes witness to their masochistic, oxygen-fuelled relationship.

My Comments:

what's better then watching a man rape a woman then getting shot in the head by the man thats been hiding & watching from cupboard...

60. Basement Jaxx's Where's You Head At Video(2002)

Video set in a laboratory where crazy monkeys rock out to crazy beats. At first, their performance threatens to be cute, but ..r inspection, the monkeys have human faces, which shocks the spectating manager. Over the course of their performance the monkeys grow more and more agitated, smashing and eating their instruments before attacking the manager. As he flees, we see men with animal faces and animals with human faces, sadistic doctors and scientists, and eventually, their new plan, to transform the manager, who has seen too much, into a monkey 'manimal'.

My Comments:

what the ****.. it wasn't scary... strange yes but not scary!!

59. Tales Of The Unexpected

Everyone of a certain age remembers the dancer in the flames title sequence for Tales of the Unexpected a continuing series of one-off stories from Roald Dahl with a 'twist in the tale'. It soon became the cornerstone of Sunday evening viewing with more than half of Britain's TV audience tuning into its first programme. One of the episodes that caused a real buzz was Royal Jelly, in which we see Timothy West turning into a bee in front of Susan George's eyes.

My Comments:

a man turning into a bee....... how odd indeed!! as far as i remember TOTU was abit... stupid!

58. Candyman(1992)

Helen (Virginia Madsen), a graduate student researching urban legends, comes across the disturbing tale of the Candyman, a hook-wielding maniac who will appear and 'cut you in two' if his name is chanted five times in front of a mirror. Of course, Helen is unable to resist putting the legend to the test and sets out to invoke the monster herself. The moment at which she utters the fifth and final Candyman is guaranteed to make your hair stand on end - a masterpiece of terrifying suspense.

My Comments:

now i've never seen this film but from what i've heard of it from other people it seems to be a good film.. with blood!!!!

57. EastEnders(2001)

From a seemingly happy marriage, to domestic abuse in the extreme, the tortuous relationship between Little Mo and evil Trevor brought us many scary moments. The most disturbing scenes were seen during Christmas 2001 when Trevor forced Mo's face into her Christmas dinner gravy, made her eat the remains from the carpet and then raped her in the bathroom. It was certainly not everybody's idea of ideal Christmas viewing but was compelling all the same for the 14.5m viewers who watched.

My Comments:

oh my.. COME ON PEOPLE.. we don't give a flying **** what happens to these people..soaps are **** filled with people who are only in it because there **** at acting and couldnt get a proper job!

56. Marathon Man(1976)

Open wide! Idealistic graduate Dustin Hoffman gets kidnapped by ex **** Dentist Lawrence Olivier who mistakenly believes the young student can tell him whether or not it's safe for him to go and pick up a hidden stash of diamonds. In one of the most excruciating scenes of torture ever filmed, Hoffman gets asked the same question over and over again, Is it safe? Unable to reply Olivier goes to town on Hoffman's molars. As if going to the dentist wasn't bad enough already.

My Comments:

that part sort of reminds me of the film "The Dentist" not nice to watch!!!

55. Goodfellas(1990)

Sometimes the threat of something awful happening is worse than actually watching a horrific moment on screen. Ask any fan of Scorsese's gangster epic Goodfellas which is the most memorable scene in the film, and most will point straight to Joe Pesci's "You think I'm funny?" tirade. His transformation from joking affability to near-psychotic aggression in a matter of seconds is utterly, terrifyingly convincing, and must have gone a long way towards bagging Pesci his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for the film.

My Comments:

lets face it, all gangster films are ****, end of!

54. Doctor Who - the opening credits(1963)

The theme music and titles from Doctor Who were always so evocative that even the first bars of the music would send children hiding behind the sofa at the beginning and end of this popular children's drama. The music was composed by Ron Grainer and created by Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Bernard Lodge created the swirling images for the titles which married so well with the music.

My Comments:

how is this scary!? i always liked the music, hated the show but loved the music!!

53. Night Of The Living Dead(1968)

George A Romero gave birth to the modern horror movie with this 1968 masterpiece. A group of mismatched people are trapped in a house whilst zombies try desperately to get in and eat them. Bleak and cynical, Night Of The Living Dead presents an America torn apart by the Vietnam war and the civil rights movement. The film's central character, a black man named Ben, is needlessly murdered by rednecks just when you think he might survive. Most chilling of all though, are the wonderfully gross and relentless zombies who just keep increasing in number throughout the night.

My Comments:

its actually quite rasict when you think about it, that poor black man gets shot at the end of the film for no reason what so ever....wankers!!

52. V(1984)

This American alien series shocked late night audiences on TV in the mid-80s with its story of supposedly friendly rat-eating aliens masquerading as humans. V was one of the first TV series to feature the 'fake rubber head' as its principal special effect. The first time an alien's face was ripped off to reveal the reptilian features beneath was truly shocking. But not quite as shocking as the scene in V: The Final Battle where Robin, one of the resisting humans, gives birth to twins. The first baby is beautiful well, apart from the forked tongue but the second of the twins looks rather green...and scaly...and none too friendly.

My Comments:

i use to watch V all the time, its a great show starring robert englund(freddy kruger) so i dont understand how its scary!!

51. Rosemary's Baby(1968)

Roman Polanski's horror classic is literally pregnant with paranoia. Rosemary's pregnant, in love with her husband, and living in a beautiful new apartment. But a burning pain in her womb tells her something's not right. Why are her elderly neighbours so concerned? Why has hubby's career suddenly blossomed? Surely her memory of being raped by Satan was just a dream? The moment when she finds out it wasn't is truly terrifying...

My Comment:

seeing old people naked is the most horrible thing in the world o.o

50. Hammer House Of Horror(1980)

Bleeding houses, sinister pet shop owners and gore galore - Hammer House Of Horror had it all. This iconic British horror brand, while perhaps best known for films, branched out into television with weekly self-contained stories with titles like The House That Bled to Death and The Silent Scream. With its creepy title music and a host of British acting talent, this was late-night psychological horror at its best.

My Comment:

the house that bled ep looked more like "the house that had a heavy period".. the blood was way too thick...

49. AIDS - Don't Die Of Ignorence(1986)

The AIDS tombstone advert was transmitted in 1986 by the Government to shock people into practising safer ***. Actor John Hurt provided the chilling commentary "There is now a danger that is a threat to us all. It is a deadly disease and there is no known cure. The virus can be passed during sexual intercourse with an infected person. Anyone can get it: man or woman. So far it's been confined to small groups. But it's spreading. So protect yourself and read this leaflet when it arrives. If you ignore AIDS it could be the death of you so don't die of ignorance." The hard-hitting ad was produced and directed by Sammy Harari who had previously masterminded the Heroin Screws You Up poster campaign.

My Comments:

it was kinda saying "dont have ***.. EVER" o.o

48. Les Diaboliques(1955)

Michel Delasalle is a tyrant who bullies both his wife Christina and mistress, Nicole. (Simone Signoret). Having beaten the two women once too often Nicole persuades Christina that they should murder her husband. The two women lure Delasalle back to Nicole's lodgings, Christina drugs him and Nicole drowns him in the bath. They dump the body in the swimming pool for the body to be discovered only to find the next day it has disappeared. Then their husband's suit is returned, dry cleaned. One of the most suspenseful ever made, Les Diaboliques regularly makes critics top films of all time. Signoret's murderously cool acting made the bath scene one of horror's most chilling.

My Comments:

this had to of been the stupidest reaction in the world..when the "dead body" gets out of the bath.. the women leans back like she fainted against the wall..then after a long while she goes to the floor..is way funny when you see it happening!

47. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1956)

A masterclass in paranoia, Don Siegel's sci-fi chiller has always been read as an attack on 50s McCarthyism in America, or conversely, on Communism. Upstanding small town citizen Kevin McCarthy slowly realises that the local population is being replaced by soulless alien replicas born out of ghastly giant vegetable pods. That the aliens steal your body whilst you are asleep only adds to the sense of terror as you realise that no one can remain awake forever. In one famous scene, McCarthy runs in frenzy across a freeway screaming, You're next! to the oblivious motorists.

My Comments:

all in all i prefer the donald sutherland version but its a good film to watch, not scary tho!

46. Final Destination(2002)

This is one movie that will definitely never be shown on planes. A flight loaded with US high school students is about to take off when passenger Devon Sawa has a terrifying premonition that the plane will crash. Desperate to get off, he causes such a riot that four other classmates and their teacher all get kicked out with him. When the plane explodes moments later, they assume that they've cheated death. Unfortunately, death never loses and he comes after the survivors one by one, killing them in increasingly horrible ways. The film was so scary, that they decided to use shots of the audience's screaming reactions in the trailer.

My Comments:

to be honest, we was all waiting for that blonde ***** to die..cool film <3

45. The Vanishing(1988)

Memorably terrifying Dutch tale of abduction, obsession and psychosis. Immaculately crafted, understated and compelling, this arthouse chiller become an enormous cult hit, prompting its director, George Sluizer, to come up with a markedly less effective Hollywood version in 1993. When Saskia is abducted by scientist Raymond Lemorne, her boyfriend Rex engages in a dangerous game of trust with her kidnapper in a desperate bid to get her back. It's a game Rex is destined not to win and Lemorne fashions a truly hideous fate for him - he wakes up from a drugged sleep to find himself buried alive in a coffin, using his last breath in a futile scream for help.

My Comments:

this is everyones worst fear, being buried alive, i felt abit sorry for the man altho he wasn't making much of a fuss to get out!

44. War Of The Worlds(1938)

The scariest piece of radio of all time, this inspired work of genius from Orson Welles sent America into a state of panic. A story is told through news bulletins and on-the-spot broadcasts of an invasion from Mars of aliens with terrible instruments of destruction who systematically wreak havoc from a farm in Grovers Mills, New Jersey. In 40 minutes of air time heat rays, machines as tall as skyscrapers and clouds of deadly gas have subdued all organised resistance to the invasion. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those who heard the broadcast believed it was true and mass hysteria broke out across America, predominantly in the area of New Jersey where the story was set.

My Comments:

i'm a huge fan of the original war of the worlds, this radio version just proves how STUPID americans really are!!(no offence ment to any americans that i know and like, the rest of you can suck a rail road spike for all i care)

43. The Birds(1963)

It's woman vs nature in Hitchcock's masterful suspense thriller, starring Tippi Hedren as an icy, unsympathetic blonde socialite who sets her sights on Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor) when she comes across him buying a pair of lovebirds for his sister in a pet store. Hedren pursues her target to the coast but, before long, she too is being pursued...by a host of menacing birds. Hitchcock's portrayal of Hedren's relentless feathered enemies is so convincing it couldn't fail to send a shiver down the spine of even the most committed bird lover, particularly when Hedren is attacked by a flock in an attic - a perfect fusion of claustrophobia and bird attack! And then there's the climbing frame scene...

My Comments:

i like this film alot.. it makes you think whats running through the actors minds while there running from the birds "OMGOMGOMG"

42. Salem's Lot(1979)

This classic American series starred Hutch himself, David Soul, as a writer investigating spooky night-time bloodsuckers in his home town. Based on the novel by Stephen King and directed by Texas Chainsaw Massacre's Tobe Hooper, Salem's Lot also featured a fantastically creepy performance from James Mason as a suave antiques dealer whose shop isn't the only thing that's ancient and covered in dust - his partner is a vampire bent on draining the local bloodlines. The scene featuring a boy finding his dead brother tapping on the bedroom window is still spine-chilling 25 years on.

My Comments:

vampire films are soooooooooo over-rated these days, vampires are NOT scary but they are cool so there..HAHA!

41. Ghostwatch(1992)

This BBC drama from Halloween 1992 was so realistic that viewers thought it was for real. But it was never meant to be a hoax, just a sophisticated drama about a live TX broadcast (hosted by Michael Parkinson) which saw a ghost called Pipes appear in an allegedly possessed house. Other scary bits included reporter Sarah Greene being sucked under the stairs, and a scene of panic in the studio as lights went out and wind possessed the set causing everyone to abandon the studio.

My Comments:

this made me angry, because i do believe in ghosts(i have seen them & if you dont believe me then drop dead). i do not like anyone who finds things like this entertaining because the realism of ghosts and what they can do is quite scary!

40. The Others(2001)

Spaniard Alejandro Aménabar directs Nicole Kidman in this fabulously atmospheric supernatural movie with all the ingredients of vintage haunted house stories - an isolated mansion, borderline insanity and sensitive children. Aménabar's film is highly atmospheric and relies on drama, rather than special effects to send shivers down the spine. A scene that is guaranteed to scare even the most hardened horror fan comes when her children discover the graves of the servants that have been working in the house for them.

My Comments:

confussing yes, entertain yes, scary no!!! need i say more!

39. Doctor Who - daleks(1963)

Despite Doctor Who creator Sydney Newman promising that Doctor Who wouldn't have any 'bug eyed monsters', four weeks into its run the British public were introduced to the Daleks. Perhaps the Daleks' scariest moment was actaully their first appearance when viewers caught a glimpse of an advancing Dalek, as yet unseen. All we saw was something like a sink plunger, and then the look of horror and screams of Dr Who's companion Barbara as the episode ends.

My Comments:

the daleks were like tin can's on wheels.....mini's that have been cut in half!

38. Nosferatu(1922)

Think of the bald bony fingered vampire climbing the stairs and you're thinking of German maestro FW Murnau's 1922 classic. It's an unforgettable horror image, its impact obviously lessened by much comic parody down the years. It nearly didn't see the light of day. When Bram Stoker's wife refused permission for the film to be made, Murnau went ahead anyway, changing the name from Dracula to Nosferatu. Mrs Stoker wasn't fooled and when she sued the court decided all copies should be destroyed. Fortunately not all were, but restoration has been a painstaking process that has taken years to complete.

My Comments:

was he frence or german.. i just don't ******* know!!! if he's frence then how the **** did that work because i swear french people are made from garlic!

37. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang(1968)

Surprisingly, **** Van **** isn't the most frightening thing about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He plays Caractacus Potts who invents a flying car and takes a couple of kids on a tour of Europe. The real villain, in director Ken Hughes children's musical however, is the child-catcher. This Caligari-like grotesque guaranteed to star in the nightmares of every young viewer for years to come. The vision of him skulking around Toymaker Benny Hill's shop muttering, "There are children here somewhere. I can smell them..." has stayed with many viewers well into their 30s and 40

My Comments:

i guess alot of people found the child catcher scary, tho i didn't find it scary i was too busy watching benny hill(he was the toymaker in the shop)

36. Dracula - Prince Of Darkness(1966)

Sequel to the enormously successful 1958 Hammer version of the Bram Stoker classic, with Christopher Lee turning in another star-making performance as the enigmatic blood-sucker. Director Terence Fisher captures the gothic splendour of Bram Stoker's Dracula with lavish sets and sensual imagery. The film sustains the iconic look (the black suit, cravat and cape) created for the count in the first film, and that's been synonymous with the character ever since. The scene in which the count's manservent, Clove, suspends a tourist over Dracula's tomb and then slits his throat, his gushing blood awakening Dracula from the dead, is a true horror classic.

My Comments:

what girl wouldn't want mr.lee to come and suck them
naughty.gif
i wouldn't mind!!

35. Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy Video(1997)

This surreal Aphex Twin video featured a gaggle of school-children in latex masks of Richard James' face plus a ghoulish fiend inside an old TV. In what must be the most disturbing moment in any music video, their disfigured, skeletal leader emerges from the television and rears up to almost seven feet tall. He finds a granny and screams her into oblivion "I will eat your soul..." Award-winning but banned in the US for being to frightening, it featured make-up effects by the team behind Hellraiser and The League Of Gentlement.

My Comments:

hmmm a music video inwhich the people who did the makeup also did the makeup for hellraiser.. how fun!

34. The Wicker Man(1973)

The best ever British horror and the film Christopher Lee is most proud of working on. The uptight, virginal Sergeant Howie, played by Edward Woodward, is sent to a small British island to investigate the disappearance of a schoolgirl amid rumours of a ritual killing. He discovers a land of sexed-up pagans led by the unusual Lord Summerisle (Lee) and at every turn Howie's investigation is thwarted by the islanders. For all its carefree paganism on the surface however, this is in fact an incredibly dark film. Never more so than when Edward Woodward is brought face to face with a huge wicker man and discovers his own fate.

My Comments:

lets face it, the remake is **** infact ALL REMAKES ARE ****, this was a great film when i first saw it and i still love it so go molest yourselfs with an iron stick!

33. The Sixth Sense(1999)

A massive sleeper hit from director M Night Shyamalan, in which Bruce Willis tries to help a vulnerable young boy who claims to be able to see dead people. Haley Joel Osment received an Oscar nomination for his quiet performance as the fragile tortured Cole. Not only does The Sixth Sense boast one of the great twist endings, but it is also an extremely effective chiller as well. In one terrifying scene, Hayley Joel Osment is hiding from a ghost in a small tent when a shadow begins to creep slowly across the wall.

My Comments:

this film was..okish tho the only reason i watched it was because bruce willis is in it!!!

32. Coronation Street - richard the killer(2003)

Over 19m viewers tuned in when Richard 'the Killer' Hillman killed Maxine in her own home, and later confessed to Gail, before kidnapping the whole family and driving them all into the canal. The on-screen trailers in the build up to this finale were even scarier, as no one quite knew who was going to be next on his hit list. Brian Capron, who played Richard Hillman, went on to sweep up at the Soap Awards off the back of this story-line.

My Comments:

oh my... NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOAPS! let it alone!!!

31. Judderman From Metz Advertising(2001)

There aren't that many truly sinister ads gracing our TV screens, but the ad for Metz alcopop could well be the spookiest ever shown. Featuring a pointy-nosed fairy-tale figure inspired by the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the Judderman was played by a Czech ballet dancer. Yet somehow this eastern bloc Wayne Sleep still managed to be spine-tinglingly creepy. With its nursery-rhyme music and puppet-like jerky movements, this hideous creature was meant to symbolise the 'judder' that drinking Metz gave you.

My Comments:

i remember lots of people telling me that this advert was really freakie, no it wasnt, it was just stupid!! like a fairy tale gone wrong
chipper.gif

30. Carry On Screaming(1966)

One of the most consistently funny Carry On films sees the old horrors of cheap British comedy sending up the cheap British horror of Hammer films! Kenneth Williams is the mad professor with a penchant for boiling beautiful young women in a bubbling vat. This being Carry On, he announces an evening of murderous activity with the cry, "Frying tonight!", and of course, ends up in the cooking pot himself by the end of the film.

My Comments:

omg.. this ISNT scary all.. i'm a huge carry on fan and i can tell you that its not scary at all.... i know alot of people who think so too.. people are such wimps if they wimp this scary -__-

29. Poltergeist(1982)

Classic domestic horror movie recounting the tale of an average family whose home is besieged by supernatural forces. Director Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) brings his hardcore horror credentials to the film but, in a bizarre mix of movie-making styles, the presence of its co-writer, Steven Spielberg, can be felt throughout. Poltergeist certainly starts like a Spielberg movie, with its quintessentially American setting, gently comic moments and whimsical spectres. But more Hooper-like terror follows when the family's cute daughter begins communing with 'something' in the TV static, claiming "they're here" - suddenly the audience is thrown into a much darker movie altogether.

My Comments:

another cursed film like the omen because members of the cast and crew died during and after making, brilliant film <3

28. The Silence Of The Lambs(1990)

A modern thriller masterpiece that established intellectual murderer Dr Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) in the canon of cinema's all time favourite monsters and did wonders for sales of Chianti wine. FBI agent Clarice Starling's (Jodie Foster) battle of wits with Lecter makes for compulsive viewing in this strange, seductive story of heroics, anti-heroics and serial killers. There are numerous stand-out moments, particularly Clarice's first encounter with Lecter and the finale in the dark cellar, but Lecter's dramatic escape, during which he impersonates one of his guards by killing him, skinning his face and placing it over his own, has got to be the most terrifying of the lot.

My Comments:

a great film with the ever so sexy jodie foster(i so would). we love it, you love it.. so there!

27. Carrie(1976)

Adapted from the bestselling Stephen King novel, Carrie is the chilling tale of a lonely high school outsider who is tortured by her deranged mother and who develops devastating telekinetic powers when she hits puberty. There are plenty of terrifying moments in this very adult horror film - the truly nasty joke played on Carrie at her school prom (the incident which unleashes her awesome powers), and the disturbing shower scene spring to mind. But it's the ultimate horror movie jump right at the end of the film, when Carrie's hand shoots out of her grave and grabs the arm of a terrified mourner, that had audiences leaving the cinema in a state of shock.

My Comments:

its not scary at all but it is entertaining and its so funny to see john travola DIE.. the ugly ****!!!

26. Jam(2002)

Jam mmm, yummy. Sweet, sticky and utterly delicious? Not the Chris Morris version. Developed from the radio series Blue Jam, this Channel 4 series delved deep into the dark recesses of comedy and came up with something truly original. With dark, distorted visuals and sound, watching Jam was like an acid trip in a hospital for the criminally insane. It featured GPs doing phone *** lines for extra NHS cash and new parents cooing over an electric heater in a crib, but perhaps the most disturbing moment involved the dismemberment and disposal of a body...by a little girl.

My Comments:

wtf is jam?! seriously....

25. Buffy The Vampire Slayer(series 1997)

The show that proved chicks can kick *** too, Buffy provided a post-feminist role model for millions of girls as posters of star Sarah Michelle Gellar graced the walls of teenage boys' bedrooms the whole world over. Pretty and blonde, Buffy Summers karate chopped and high kicked her way through the vampires, demons and other undesirables in the Hellmouth town of Sunnydale. Of the many classic episodes, many consider the ultimate Buffy episode to be Hush, in which bald, pale figures called The Gentlemen steal the voices of the people of Sunnydale and return to cut out their hearts. What do you do if nobody can hear you scream?

My Comments:

now i like buffy the vamp slayer but it is in no way scary..tho giles is sexy
blush.gif

24. The League Of Gentlemen Christmas Special(2002)

Perhaps the most terrifying comedy series ever made, The League Of Gentlemen demonstrates that comedy and terror are sometimes separated by a very fine line. Set in the village of Royston Vasey, the surreal characters are the stuff of nightmares. From Edward and Tubbs' "local shop for local people" to the Burger Me fast food joint, there's a shiver around every corner. Scary moments come thick and fast but the Christmas Special takes some beating. In Herr Lipp And The Vampires Of Duisberg, the creepy camp choirmaster gets sucked dry. And who's that in a Santa suit? Only voodoo wife-stealer Papa Lazarou, who comes calling on vicar, Bernice. "Hello Dave"...

My Comments:

now i'm not a fan of the league of gentlemen but i LOVED papa lazarou, he made me laugh but in no way is it scary, i would of loved to of been abducted by him
excited.gif

23. The Wizard Of Oz(1939)

It's one thing to watch The Wizard Of Oz as a child, but quite another to see it as a grown-up. Rather like the fairytales from the brothers Grimm, whose dark sexual imagery only became apparent once we were out of shorts, Oz is a land best not seen through adult eyes. Indeed, what with the plethora of little people, gaudy colour palate, flying monkeys and, in the Wicked Witch Of The West, the most frightening villain this side of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's child catcher, it's possibly the most disturbing kids' film ever made.

My Comments:

oh for **** sake.. FLYING MONKEYS ARE NOT SCARY.. midgets are tho!! aint we happy that judy garland played dorithy instead of that stupid annoying shirley temple..yes..yes we are!

22. Scream(1996)

The film that kicked off not just a trilogy, but a whole subgenre of postmodern teen slashers, and got Halloween trick-or-treaters wearing identikit white plastic ghoul masks. Smart, innovative, funny and downright scary, the film's most chilling moment comes early on when Drew Barrymore (who is, of course, young, beautiful and home alone) receives a threatening phone call from the killer - it's not long before her parents find her body hanging from a tree in the front garden...

My Comments:

scream was the worst horror film i've ever seen in my life.....

21. Twin Peaks - the TV series(1990)

**** fine coffee and **** scary viewing courtesy of David Lynch. When the body of a young girl named Laura Palmer is washed up on a beach near the small town of Twin Peaks, FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) is called in to investigate her strange demise. While tracking down her killer, he uncovers a web of intrigue that ultimately leads him deep into a battle with evil that might cost him his very soul. In a town filled with giants, talking logs and dwarves who spoke backwards, the scariest thing in Twin Peaks was a man called Bob. His scary moments are legion, but perhaps the most terrifying of the lot involved Bob, a mirror, a bleeding Agent Cooper, and the most unsettling cliff-hanger in the history of television.

My Comments:

not seen it, glad i havnt either..load of ****

20. Don't Look Now(1973)

Deeply chilling but moving classic of British cinema. Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland star as a couple who move to Venice after the death of their daughter Christine, only to encounter premonitions of death amid its dank off-season canals. A blind psychic who claims to "see" Christine, and a killer at large in the city serve to crank up the sense of foreboding but it is Sutherland's sightings of a small girl in a bright red coat that offer the biggest chill, particularly when the true identity of the coat-wearing figure is revealed.

My Comments:

err.. not seen but sounds like ****

19. Hellraiser(1987)

British writer-turned-director Clive Barker adapted his short story 'The ****-Bound Heart' for his screen debut, to protect his visceral tale from incompetent hands. The result is wonderfully appalling. Hellraiser is a dark, adult horror story of glamorous, exquisite cruelty and brooding menace. It's packed with deliciously gruesome effects and, of course, introduced cinema-goers to the villain of all villains, Pinhead.

My Comments:

brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT film <3 not scary in the least bit but brilliant!

18. 28 Days Later(2002)

Director Danny Boyle turned the zombie movie on its head with his DV-shot horror. Set against the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic Britain, "the infected" in his film are rampaging monsters that chase down the living to quench their thirst for blood. The film's most chilling moment comes right at the beginning, when Cillian Murphy wakes from a coma and wanders out to find London completely deserted.

My Comments:

it was nice to see a horror film that was set in london for once instead of some ****** american city!!

17. The Thing(1982)

A helicopter chases a lone husky dog across the Arctic snowscape before crashing outside an American research base. With no-one to explain the incident, the Americans, led by Kurt Russell, take the dog in. So begins John Carpenter's classic lesson in gore, tension and paranoia, The Thing. The research team soon discover that they have been infested by a shape shifting alien, who begins to kill them one by one and assume their identities. Not knowing who is human and who has been infected produces a real sense of claustrophobia. In one terrifying scene, a member of the team suffers a heart attack and is treated by the doctor only to then spring a hideous surprise.

My Comments:

to be honest, i found this extremely boring so i didnt watch it all!

16. American Werewolf In London(1981)

Two hapless American guys lost on the Yorkshire moors end up as a werewolf snack. One survives the attack but, of course, the horror's not over for the hapless tourist - before long he's growing hair and coming over all werewolf himself in this funny and inventive take on the monster genre from John Landis. The scene in which man transforms into wolf still has the power to shock, and won the movie's make-up team a well-deserved Oscar.

My Comments:

never actually seen this film but i've been told its a great film

15. Friday The 13th(1980)

Jason Vorhees got his first taste of slasher movie cult status in 1980. A young boy drowned in Crystal Lake whilst on summer camp. The camp was shut down for eleven years, but is then re-opened by a young couple. Of course there are loads of warnings from the locals that something terrible will happen if the pair of them don't leave and pretty soon the counsellors start to get murdered one by one. So begins one of the longest running horror franchises featuring the machete wielding, hockey mask wearing killer - a look later used by Eminem to frighten hip hop loving teenagers everywhere.

My Comments:

no no no NO jason's a **** killer, this is why i was cheering freddy on in freddy v jason... tho your best hope to stay alive in this film tho is to just sit in a dark corner and do **** all.. no ***, no booze.. NOTHING!

14. Se7en(1995)

Who'd have thought? An absurd-sounding tale of a serial killer basing his crimes around the seven deadly sins, directed by the man behind Alien3 (David Fincher), turning out to be one of the most original thrillers of the 1990s. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are excellent as a pair of detectives assigned to track down a vengeful killer, and the movie's brilliantly deliberate under-lighting and muffled sound combine perfectly to plunge the audience into an almost unbearably grim world. The scenes of discovery of the bodies of the killer's victims are all pretty horrific, but Sloth is the one that everyone remembers - the almost inhuman figure of a starved man strapped to his bed, kept alive to increase his agony before death.

My Comments:

i've been told that the deaths in this film are ******* amazing to watch.. i've not seen it yet but I MUST SEE IT!!!

13. The X Files(1993)

The truth continues to be out there for agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, still investigating the more bizarre and paranormal unsolved FBI files. This cult TV series has featured many spooky moments, but a character called Eugene Tooms sends a shiver down the spine of most fans. Tooms was a 100-year-old liver-eating mutant with the ability to stretch and fit himself into very small spaces like drains and air-vents.

My Comments:

oh my god.. the x files was the crappest thing in the world.. i swear mulder and scully were doing each other!!

12. The Evil Dead(1983)

A group of kids go out to a house in the woods, find a demonic text and start reading. Everyone turns into demons apart from hero Ash who is left to chainsaw and shotgun blast his former buddies to death. Except they just keep comin'... The scene in the basement is quite scary but Evil Dead is less a classic chiller, more a bone-grinding splatterfest. One of the girls getting raped by a tree didn't endear it to the censors and Evil Dead was one of the first films in the UK to earn the sobriquet of 'video nasty'. But with a gruesomely comic undercurrent to the mayhem, twenty years after the making it's hard to think of it as anything other then the cult classic it's become.

My Comments:

best film EVER... nothing better then watching a big nosed women get rapped by tree's!!

11. Psycho(1960)

Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece has passed into cinema history as the mother of all slasher movies. Janet Leigh escapes from her life as a bored clerical worker with $40,000 of her company's money and heads for Phoenix. Caught in a rainstorm on a dark road, she seeks refuge in an old roadside motel run by the shy and retiring Anthony Perkins. There follows some of the most chilling moments ever filmed, including the now iconic scene in which Leigh takes a shower.

My Comments:

a naked ladie being stabbed in a shower by a cross dressing loonie.. how much better can it get!!

10. A Nightmare On Elm Street(1984)

Wes Craven kicked off a long-running horror franchise with this imaginatively scary yarn about a dead killer who starts murdering teens in their dreams. The film introduces us to one of the 80s' most iconic movie bogeymen, Freddy Krueger. He vies for the title with Halloween's Michael Myers and Jason from the Friday The 13th films. What has always set Freddy apart, however, is the terrible humour in the character - all pitch black one-liners and sadistic glee. By the time Elm Street 3 and 4 had made their appearance in cinemas, Krueger had become a bona fide horror movie heart-throb.

My Comments:

freddy is the ******* master of death, he is a wonderul as pinhead, god bless him
excited.gif

9. The Omen(1976)

Any Damiens out there born in the late 70s? If so, your parents must have had a sick sense of humour. The staggering success of The Omen put paid to the name for years. When his wife Kathy (Lee Remick) gives birth to a stillborn child, ambassador Robert Thorn (Gregory Peck) adopts baby Damien. Little does he know that the boy is the Devil's own son. All is well for five years, but then the child turns nasty on nanny, and an ungodly maelstrom of decapitation, impalement and Satanic symbolism is unleashed as Damien starts bumping off anyone standing between him and world domination.

My Comments:

the remake was ****, the original is fab! it will always be one of my faves!

8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1974)

We start in classic slasher territory. Five innocent kids go a wanderin' in the Texas badlands. In this case it's to investigate reports of grave robbing. A sliding door opens and soon little Pammy has fallen into the mechanical teeth of Leatherface's chainsaw. Writer director Tobe Hooper used stories of real life psychopath Ed Gein as inspiration for his mask-wearing loon, but unlike many believe, Massacre is not based on a true story.

My Comments:

now i really enjoyed the original but i loved the remake alot more because it consentrated on what really happened rather then trying to get ratings! yes..it is a true story for those who don't know!

7. Halloween(1978)

John Carpenter's horror masterpiece kicked off the slasher genre and has been much copied - most recently to ironic effect in the Scream trilogy. A six-year-old Michael Myers murdered his older sister on Halloween night in 1963 and was locked away. Years later, Myers has escaped and returns to his old town on another Halloween night to murder his way through the local teenagers. Halloween made a star of horror queen Jamie Lee Curtis, who played an innocent babysitter who battles with Myers. Accompanied by Carpenter's own chilling score, Curtis visits the house of a friend only to discover a host of dead bodies and Michael Myers waiting in the shadows.

My Comments:

for me the remake is amazing, coz i love gore and the original is quite boring and bloodless!!

6. Ring(1998)

A recent Hollywood remake of Ring had audiences flocking to cinemas in the US, but no remake can match the unadulterated terror value of Hideo Nakata's original Japanese version. Depicting the horrors perpetrated by a mysterious videotape, which inflicts an agonising death on anyone who watches it within seven days, Ring is dark, suggestive and psychologically charged. In short, it's one of the 1990s' most gratifyingly unsettling movie experiences. Most terrifying moment? When you find out exactly what happens when the seven days are up...

My Comments:

yes. **** the remake it will NEVER be as good as the original ring.

5. The Blair Witch Project(1998)

Smash low budget horror hit of 1999. The highly effective plot involves the audience viewing 'found' footage shot by three films students who encounter something nasty in the woods, and are never seen again. Early screenings, and a canny internet campaign, left audiences convinced that what they were watching was true. So how did the directors manage to fool audiences into thinking they were watching documentary footage? They kept their cast completely in the dark about their plans for the film, only giving them their scripts for each scene a day before filming. Then there were the starvation diets and sleep deprivation techniques...Scariest moments? Heather Donahue's desperate videoed goodbye to her family and friends and, of course, the closing scene in the cellar.

My Comments:

omg.. get rid of it, its the SHITTEST piece of **** i've ever seen in my whole life

4. Alien(1979)

The film that gave us the action heroine, in the shape of Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley, and presented space travel as just another job. It's a tour-de-force of suspense, slasher antics and good old-fashioned sci-fi. Director Ridley Scott gave us one of the great moments in horror with great special FX and some good old-fashioned nastiness. Having answered a distress call from a long crashed spacecraft, the crew of the Nostromo discover a nest of eggs. When one member is attacked by a parasite, they bring him back to the ship and he later seems to recover. Then they sit down to eat dinner.

My Comments:

a great film, don't you just want to huggle the little chest burster alien <3

3. Jaws(1975)

The film that left a generation of schoolkids afraid to go into a swimming pool, let alone back into the water. Wunderkind Steven Spielberg's story is all the scarier for hardly ever showing the Great White - the fear of what's lurking underneath those seemingly inviting waters combined with the film's unforgettable, nerve-shredding score is enough to have audiences squirming in their seats.

My Comments:

amazing film, i adore it and i adore sharks. its does put you on edge if you've never seen it before!

2. The Exorcist(1973)

The most successful and notorious horror film of all time has lost none of its power to shock. The story of the possession of 12-year-old girl Linda Blair had them screaming in the cinema aisles in the 70s. As her mother grows increasingly distraught with her daughter's behaviour, she calls on the help of exorcist Max Von Sydow, so setting up one of the great battles between good and evil. Famous for its scenes in which the possessed girl vomits, screams profanity and twists her head through 360 degrees, The Exorcist fell foul of the censors in Britain and was banned here for many years. Not the Catholic Church though, they love it!

My Comments:

in the words of beetlejuice.. it keeps getting funnier every single time i see it!

1. The Shining(1980)

Yet another Stephen King adaptation, this one directed with great atmosphere by the legendary Stanley Kubrick. Jack Nicholson stars as Jack Torrance, a writer who takes on the job of caretaker for the winter at an isolated hotel, bringing his wife (Shelley Duvall) and young son with him. Afflicted by a severe case of writer's block, Torrance soon begins to lose his mind and it's not long before he's chasing his terrified wife around the hotel with an axe. By the time she's trapped in the bathroom, screaming with horror as he attempts to smash the door down, you sense she's near to mental collapse herself - in fact, it's rumoured that Kubrick pushed Duvall so hard during filming that she suffered a nervous breakdown afterwards.

My Comments:

finally a good number 1. the shining is an amazing film..i love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wathced it before maybe in 2003 or maybe another re-run but allways good to see list like this. Good to go and watch the films you havent seen.

Wathced it before maybe in 2003 or maybe another re-run but allways good to see list like this. Good to go and watch the films you havent seen.

yea, also these aren't my comment its offs someone else myspace page

Love The Shining but I dont think its scary.... Evil dead is kind of the same, more of a laugh, worst bit is the pencil in the ankle for me!

To be fair I've never really been scared by somthing on tv so I'd be prtty **** at putting a list together.

When i was young I saw Texas Chainsaw Massace on tv and that hitchiker dude at the start kinda creeped me out

Love The Shining but I dont think its scary.... Evil dead is kind of the same, more of a laugh, worst bit is the pencil in the ankle for me!

To be fair I've never really been scared by somthing on tv so I'd be prtty **** at putting a list together.

When i was young I saw Texas Chainsaw Massace on tv and that hitchiker dude at the start kinda creeped me out

yea the list is very **** :'(, I still think Evil dead is more of a black comedy than a horror film

The Shining's 'Here's Johnny!' moment was number 1. I just didn't find that movie scary at all.

Agreed.

I have yet to watch a film that has scared or upset me. Most are just stupid and laughable.

Agreed.

I have yet to watch a film that has scared or upset me. Most are just stupid and laughable.

And predictable.

I kind of enjoyed Blair Witch because of how it didnt *seem* so set out. And not seeing what happend alot of the time was pretty good. I know loads of people hate the film, but as a non-horror fan I quite liked it.

And predictable.

I kind of enjoyed Blair Witch because of how it didnt *seem* so set out. And not seeing what happend alot of the time was pretty good. I know loads of people hate the film, but as a non-horror fan I quite liked it.

Yeah I though Blair Witch was interesting and nothing else had really been done in that format. I felt like I was 'there' and got quite into it.

The Ring was creepy at first and it built up quite well but then ruined it as it went on.

Hate to be petty, but it was Frankenstein's monster that killed the girl, not Frankenstein ;)

tumblr_lazw0p6WrO1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif

The Shining is awesome and deserves it's spot at #1.

Paranormal Activity is the only film I have had nightmares about

Usually I sit and laugh at horrors tbh :S