12 years playing FM/CM - What's so different this year? Help me :|

JamesGHull

Reaction score
We've all had our bad patches on Football Manager over the years, where we throw our dummies out of the pram and say the game is broken or impossible. But we rethink our tactics and accept that the blame is our own and move on with a more successful save.

Over the years it's got more and more challenging, which is a good thing.

But honestly, this year, post-beta, it makes me not want to bother.

What are people finding works better/worse this year? I'm absolutely lost for ideas. I've been known to hammer the space bar in the past with the same tactic and the same XI and only watch key highlights. My last five saves, I've spent a ludicrous amount of time hiring the best coaching teams I can find and picking apart every players' strengths and weaknesses and PPMs to come up with the best 3 tactics I can think of for each side. I've tweaked and tweaked and MY GOD I'M SO BAD THIS YEAR HELP ME.

I've been sacked five saves in a row. Before that I haven't even been sacked since FM12!

I was 14th as Arsenal, 20th as Sunderland and 24th as Hull City. I can be the worst or best team in a division and still be utterly, utterly hopeless. If I play attacking then my players misplace every pass and can't keep possession. If I play counter then my players sit back, dominate possession with a load of sideways passes and barely take a shot all game, then lose 1-0 on the break.

None of my teams put in a SINGLE good performance. Even if I pick up my first win in 15 games, it's some horrendous 1-0 after scoring from the spot and clearing it off the line 6 times.

What's so different this year? I could blame crossing and defending set pieces but regardless of my defensive woes, my entire team ends up with a rating of 6.1. My defenders miss every header and interception. My midfielders just randomly blast a pass into no man's land for no apparent reason. My strikers can't shoot. I'm lost. Surely, regardless of tactics, players should be capable of these things? Arghhhh.

No idea mate, sounds frustrating. I was having similar issues 3 saves in total untill my current save.

I decided to keep it really simple in the tactics and no individual instructions ect. I have consintrated on player moral to the highst degree to the point of dropping my best & expensive players to u21 and selecting my match day squads based on moral/form. I have always just selected the best players based on stats.

This is just my experience, i used to focas way too hard on tactics, now im climbing the leagues in england. 3 promotions in 5 seasons no editor :)

The beauty of the game. Winning feels great because it is so much easier not to!

What's so different this year? I could blame crossing and defending set pieces but regardless of my defensive woes, my entire team ends up with a rating of 6.1. My defenders miss every header and interception. My midfielders just randomly blast a pass into no man's land for no apparent reason. My strikers can't shoot. I'm lost. Surely, regardless of tactics, players should be capable of these things? Arghhhh.
What's different? The AI is better.

As for the latter part of the quoted section, they're following your instructions. You wrote a long post, but nothing that helps anyone to help you.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...tics/350220-looking-tactical-help-advice.html