Ogriv83

Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping someone could create a tactic to fit the Argentina 1986 world cup team. Essentially I'd like a tactic built around a star play (Maradona type) that will utilise his creativity and abilities.

Thanks

I know the formation they played was a 3-4-1-2 with Maradona behind the front 2. Just make him a playmaker so everything goes through him.

Sorry JP but Maradona played upfront just in a deeper role. The formation is explained in the book Inverting The Pyramid. He did not play behind the front two strikers.

Sorry JP but Maradona played upfront just in a deeper role. The formation is explained in the book Inverting The Pyramid. He did not play behind the front two strikers.
Meh. 3-4-2-1 then. I know they played 3 CBs. and seemed to play with 3 forwards with Maradona, Valdano, and Jorge Burruchaga. Im going from memory here though, and baring in mind i was still in short pants it wasn't a bad attempt. Ive never had the benefit of reading that book, may try and find it though. Would be interesting trying to re create it on FM.

Last edited:
It is a good book. Well recommended for anyone trying to emulate tactics.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

It is on the Tactical Theorums. I just checked on the tactical visions part of it. Page 15 and is listed as Argentina's 3-1-4-2. It shows Maradona as a second nominal striker but was given free reign to roam.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:00 PM ----------

I have tried to replicate it for you the best I could. It may need tweaking to get it perfect. Download can be found here.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=2690