Sandy_Tait

Reaction score
I've always liked football but the 1994/95 season was when I really started to get into it and pay attention to leagues other than the English Premier League. And what a season it was - Ronaldo in the Eredivise, Blackburn Rovers winning the EPL, and Ajax beating AC Milan to win the European Champions League.

And that's what I'm aiming to re-create here. I'll be looking at the Italian, Dutch, English, and Russian leagues initially, and I'll be saving each nation as a separate file to keep it cleaner, reduce loading time in the editor, and also to allow others to edit other leagues concurrently.

Oh, yeah. I am absolutely going to need help with this xD

The aim is to have:
a) league structures and rules
b) teams in each division
c) squad rosters
d) chairmen, managers and (where possible) other backroom staff
e) kit graphics and (where relevant) club crests
all correct for the 1994-95 season.

I'll be keeping the Rules and Data files separate, for those who want to play with classic teams but still keep today's rules. So each nation will have two files, e.g. "England - Rules" and "England - Data".

Did I mention I'll need help? I'm going to need help :)
If you're interested, either post here or drop me a message and let me know which league/division/club you fancy editing, also whether want to do graphics, rules, or data.

Progress Post:

Base File -COMPLETE
This is the file from which all other nation data files can be created.
* All injuries, loans, and bans removed
* All staff and players made unemployed
* All staff and players younger than 32 removed from the game (as they'd be under the 14yo cut-off; this should also massively speed up gameplay as there'll be several hundred thousand less people in the database)
* Workaround found for issue with Player/Non-Player people with purely Non-Player jobs not able to be released from club properly

* While I had planned to convert all player/non-players to players, this is something that can be done on a league-by-league basis and me doing it in bulk just delays work on the data files.

Planned Leagues

English League (Sandy_Tait)
Dutch League (Sandy_Tait)
Israeli League (Sandy_Tait)
Italian League (Mercurio3)
Spanish League (Mercurio3)
Argentine League (Mercurio3)

Last edited:
I can help with Spanish teams. Also I'm an official assistant researcher, so I know well how the database works. I was thinking in a 1997/1998 Retro Update, but I like the 1994/1995 season. I'm a Real Zaragoza supporter, and this year we won the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup against Arsenal.

For example:

REAL ZARAGOZA

PLAYER - POSITIONS - CA
1. Cedrún, Andoni - GK - 142
2. Belsué, Alberto - D/WB R - 150
3. Solana, Jesús - D RLC - 139
4. Cáceres, Fernando - SW, D C - 155
5. Nayim - M RLC - 145
6. Aguado, Xavier - D C - 143
7. Pardeza, Miguel - AM RLC, ST - 153
8. Aragón, Santiago - DM, M C - 152
9. Esnáider, Juan - ST - 162
10. Higuera, Francisco - AM RL, ST - 151
11. Poyet, Gustavo - M/AM C - 148

REAL MADRID

PLAYER - POSITIONS - CA
1. Buyo, Paco - GK - 146
2. Quique - D/WB R - 148
3. Lasa, Mikel - D L - 141
4. Hierro, Fernando - SW, D C, DM - 159
5. Sanchis, Manolo - SW, D C - 155
6. Redondo, Fernando - DM - 171
7. Raúl - ST - 147
8. Luis Enrique - D/WB/M RL, ST - 150
9. Zamorano, Iván - ST - 158
10. Laudrup, Michael - AM RC, ST - 169
11. Amavisca, Emilio - M/AM L - 151

BARCELONA

PLAYER - POSITIONS - CA
1. Busquets, Carles - GK - 141
2. Ferrer, Albert - D RC - 146
3. Guardiola, Pep - DM - 170
4. Koeman, Ronald - SW, DM - 166
5. Nadal, Miguel Ángel - D C, DM, M C - 154
6. Bakero, José Mari - M/AM C, ST - 149
7. Sergi - D/WB/M L - 158
8. Stoichkov, Hristo - AM L, ST - 168
9. Cruijff, Jordi - AM RLC, ST - 142
10. Amor, Guillermo - DM, M RC, AM C - 145
11. Begiristain, Aitor - M L, AM RL - 150

Great :). I have some questions:

1. Squads updated to the begin of season (September 1994) or to the end of season (June 1995)?

2. Do we work upon the Base File? In this case, when do you estimate it's ready?

3. What about the players' history? I'd delete all seasons after 1993, so the players' history "began" on our 1994/1995 season (year 2013).

4. What about the Bosman ruling? In 1994/1995 it wasn't exist yet. Players couldn't sign on free transfer when they expired their contracts. Also then only could play at the same time three foreigners in the first eleven. For example, an Italian was considered foreigner in Spain. No "European Union rules". This is hard to do in FM14 because, for example, in Spain many South American players gain nationality in just two years (so then they are not considered foreigners). In real life, only could play as "national players" (not foreigners) those who were elegible for national team. For example, Jordi Cruijff (Johan's son) had due nationality (Holland & Spain), so he wasn't foreigner until he played for Holland national team (then he played as "foreigner" in Spanish League).

Sorry for my English :).

Last edited:
Great :). I have some questions:

1. Squads updated to the begin of season (September 1994) or to the end of season (June 1995)?

2. Do we work upon the Base File? In this case, when do you estimate it's ready?

3. What about the players' history? I'd delete all seasons after 1993, so the players' history "began" on our 1994/1995 season (year 2013).

4. What about the Bosman ruling? In 1994/1995 it wasn't exist yet. Players couldn't sign on free transfer when they expired their contracts. Also then only could play at the same time three foreigners in the first eleven. For example, an Italian was considered foreigner in Spain. No "European Union rules". This is hard to do in FM14 because, for example, in Spain many South American players gain nationality in just two years (so then they are not considered foreigners). In real life, only could play as "national players" (not foreigners) those who were elegible for national team. For example, Jordi Cruijff (Johan's son) had due nationality (Holland & Spain), so he wasn't foreigner until he played for Holland national team (then he played as "foreigner" in Spanish League).

Sorry for my English :).

1) I've been doing it to the beginning of the 94/95 season, so players are all becoming 19 years younger.

2) Yes, all data files should be edited from copies of the base file. I don't yet have an idea of when I will have finished that but I think it should currently be in a state where it can be shared. I will just have to make a note to not edit any players based in Spain after I share it with you :)

3) Histories are being dealt with as you describe

4) My aim is to have separate Data and Rules files for each nation, so that people can choose for themselves whether they want to play just with a 1994/95 database or go for the whole experience. All the Foreigner and Transfer rules can be put in with the current editor, but it will be a lot of work! The number of years it takes to gain nationality can also be changed.

1) I've been doing it to the beginning of the 94/95 season, so players are all becoming 19 years younger.

2) Yes, all data files should be edited from copies of the base file. I don't yet have an idea of when I will have finished that but I think it should currently be in a state where it can be shared. I will just have to make a note to not edit any players based in Spain after I share it with you :)

3) Histories are being dealt with as you describe

4) My aim is to have separate Data and Rules files for each nation, so that people can choose for themselves whether they want to play just with a 1994/95 database or go for the whole experience. All the Foreigner and Transfer rules can be put in with the current editor, but it will be a lot of work! The number of years it takes to gain nationality can also be changed.

Ok. Perfect. But in the point number 1, I asked if you want "January Transfers" or not. For example, Romário began the season in Barcelona but later he sign for Flamengo. Or Cafu joined at Zaragoza in December.

I forgot to say I could do Argentine and Italian leagues too.

Ok. Perfect. But in the point number 1, I asked if you want "January Transfers" or not. For example, Romário began the season in Barcelona but later he sign for Flamengo. Or Cafu joined at Zaragoza in December.

I forgot to say I could do Argentine and Italian leagues too.

Sorry, I missed that. January transfers to be included, but not July 95 transfers.

That would be fantastic if you could do those leagues as well! I won't be able to work on the main file tonight but I should be able to hit it on Thursday and Friday night, and get it to a stage where it can be shared and used for the nation data files.

That would be amazing! I know very little about the Spanish leagues from that era so your help would be very welcome :)

I know absolutely nothing about the Israeli league so I'd be limited to what I can dig up from Worldfootball.net (Maccabi Tel-Aviv's squad, as an example - Maccabi Tel Aviv » Squad 1994/1995 ) but I could certainly give it a try.
Yes, that would be great too!

Please do so

Cantona, Romario, Hagi etc

This sounds unreal, so are you planning on creating players that are no longer in the current FM? (Ie putting Cantona at Man Utd, Romario at Barcelona etc etc) ?

Fantastic! How far along with it are you? And when do you think it will be ready to play?

Fantastic! How far along with it are you? And when do you think it will be ready to play?

So far, not very! I've just completed the base file (details here) and I'm looking to start on the actual data files this weekend. I don't have an ETA in mind yet but my aim is to get it close to finished before FM15 comes out ;)

Wow, great side. I am really looking forward to this! What about ther other leagues though? Will they still have today's players or just be non-playable?

Wow, great side. I am really looking forward to this! What about ther other leagues though? Will they still have today's players or just be non-playable?

There won't be any modern players in the database. Aim is that all major leagues will be timewarped, and all players/former-players in the official database will have been put in the right club for 1994, at the right age, though I can't promise we'll manage accurate stats for them all :)

There won't be any modern players in the database. Aim is that all major leagues will be timewarped, and all players/former-players in the official database will have been put in the right club for 1994, at the right age, though I can't promise we'll manage accurate stats for them all :)

Of course, It sounds unreal. Totally looking forward to taking over the 1994 Man United team again :)