2-3-2-1-2 a different possession tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter weesparky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 16K

weesparky

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first post and maby a rather ambitious one. I havn't seen a similar tactic on here so thought i would share :D. I won the EPL with swindon using the same formation but with 4 at the back. I had the best defencive record so decided change to a more attacking formation to get more goals which is far more fun.

The tactic

View attachment 235788
The position of the two wing backs is the vital part of making this a good possession tactic. The are ready to recieve passes from the centrebacks, defensive mid and midfielders. The also add width pulling oposition midfielders out wide allowing play to flow quickly up the middle. The team instructions are set to what most possession tactics would be, short passing, more expressive and press more. This obviously helps keep the ball and win it back as quick as possible. I also have a high level of roaming which allows the wingers and attacking players to get into better positions to recieve the ball and create more chances etc. The center backs have both roaming and creativity set low on player instructions as i feel the need to stay back with the little defensive cover available and just pass the ball forward as quick as possible.

Success

So far this season i have had some big wins the best of which beating Liverpool 7-0 at home being a highlight. Usualy possession is over 60% in my favour and creating at least 20 chances with around 10 on target. My teams passing attributes are pretty high with all players except centre backs over 16. Would be interesting to see if it would work for lower league teams or even just teams who have not got as good passing stats. Hope this is of use to some people or atleast gives a different approach to creating possession tactics :). Tactic available below incase you want to try it!
View attachment 236276

Final tactic update

three changes.
1. both strikers changed to poachers - reason - felt there was enough creativity and chances from wingers, attacking mid and advanced playmaker.
2. defensive midfielder set to anchor man with direct passing - (idea thanks to steveneals) reason - to many players crouding round box in attack so the defensive mid sits deaper, this means the ball can come back out drawing opposition team and direct passes played by the player exploiting space behind defence.
3. both centre mids set to zonal marking - reason - in man marking they sometimes pick up players which wingbacks should take, in zonal they stay more central and pressure the ball more often rather than being drawn to specific players.

View attachment 237986
If you use the tactic above check the set pieces as i set them to fit my team!

I would recomend for any team, goals will always be scored!!!
If you have money to spend i would recomend wing backs are a priority - fast,good passing and can tackle/reasonable defencive stats.

Feel free to give it a try and post your results up :D

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Are every other player, apart from CBs and CDMs, player instructions on default?

The creative freedom of the wingers is actually turned down to normal just above little and the attacking midfielder is set to take less long shots to try maximise through balls to strikers and out wide.

The creative freedom of the wingers is actually turned down to normal just above little and the attacking midfielder is set to take less long shots to try maximise through balls to strikers and out wide.

Thanks for the info mate, will try it out! Was this on 12.2.2?

No problem, yeh 12.2.2

Will be interesting to see how it works for you !!

One last question sorry mate, I haven't got a player suitable as a CF, you think an extra AM behind the Poacher would still work?

Yeh, or even a second poacher would be fine because there should be enough creativity else where. Forgot to mension to set the keeper to defender collect, i have him to pass to either of the wingers specifically aswell just to stop losing the ball from goal kicks etc.

Interesting, as I have a similar one but with 2 AMC and 1 striker, bit like Bilbao's Bielsa is playing atm, but I'm playing with West Brom, media prediction 15th. No download link though or just fill the same default roles and strategies.Thanks

Tactic works really well mate! Just one problem, we tend to get caught a lot on the counter down the wings, with my wing backs stranded at the other end. Is there any way to resolve this?

Check your centre back mentality, you can lower it to just 3 clicks and have their creative freedom as low as it will go. This should make them cover more and be able to slow counter attacks down to allow the wing backs to get back. Could even set your faster cb to cover. Hope this helps a little mate!!

Interesting, as I have a similar one but with 2 AMC and 1 striker, bit like Bilbao's Bielsa is playing atm, but I'm playing with West Brom, media prediction 15th. No download link though or just fill the same default roles and strategies.Thanks

I felt there was enough creativity especialy when playing with an advanced playmaker in midfield. Did you find both attacking mids to be creating lots of chances? Cheers

Thanks mate. It really is a superb tactic and it would be a shame to stop using it just 'cause of a few leaked goals. Also, I forgot I haven't let them get fully used to it, theyre only just competent with the formation! Thanks for your help mate, great tactic!

No problem, im glad you found it usefull!! Has your team started to score more goals than usual and keep good possession?

Yeah! I was really struggling, changed to this and even away from home we have around 60% possession! My complete forward has 11 goals in 13! I tweaked it so the DM is defensive and he just sits back now spraying balls about. Just beat Chicago 4-0 away! Thanks Mate!

Awsome, yeh my forwards have a similar goals per game ratio!! feel free to make other tweeks and if you find anything works better it would be great to hear :)

Alright mate, it's going well. As the games go on it's not having the same effect it was but it's still effective.
I noticed you saying you did the same tactic but with fullbacks, was it just the same tactic but will 'Fullbacks - Support'?

yeh so a back four rather that high wingers. formations still working for me, 6 games left of the season scored 109 and only conceeded 21 !!!

Back