2-3-2-1-2 a different possession tactic

• Thread starter Thread starter weesparky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 16K
I'll carry on using the wingback one. I might use the fullback one next season (support). What is the difference in football played? Do you still dominate possession?

i didn't dominate possession as much, because the fullbacks are deaper then passes don't go out wide as much and the ball is lost more in midfield. However it was more solid in defence with more players back. Were you having trouble letting in goals?

I think it's just more a panic than anything mate. When I first started using it I changed the DM to defensive and the advanced playmaker to attack, we went on a 13 match unbeaten run, 8 wins and 5 draws. Then we took one big defeat to LA Galaxy 4-0, then Houston 1-0, and then Chivas 3-1. The problem seems to be a lack of goals. We rely on the Complete Forward (ST isn't even his natural position), for goals. He has 15 in 21 in the league whereas the Poacher only has 9 in 21. Is this just the poacher getting used to the tactic? Or would you recommend keeping the tactic as you did with the playmaker and DM on support? Thanks for any help mate.

having the defensive midfield as defensive is fine, maby it was changing the advanced playmaker to attack because in support he will try to set up more goals and pass more helping your poacher! you could also change the complete forward to a poacher so he will not recieve the ball as much if he is not adapt to playing the role. look at your shots aswell, i there are lots from long range reduce the player settings so they don't shoot as much from outside the box and you could use the shouts work ball into box etc. Hipe this helps a little!

I see you have the strategy on standard. Do you change it to attacking if you expect to win or defensive if your facing a hard team?

yeh, but mostly start with standard and change to how we are playing. usually defensive when away to the top league teams tho or in a cup game away tie when i dont need to win.

what year are you in with Swindon? can you post SS of your 4 best players? mainly strikers!

I like this formation, looks good!

Team harmony, your rep, favoured personnel etc all play a big part in the future in games, regens are world class at 18 and teamtalks are much easier after the first year :)

I assume you must be at least 2019?

Thanks Raikan. Yeh im pretty far on now, first half of season 2022/2023. Yeh i was lucky enough to buy good regens in my 2nd or third season in the prem, keeping wages low meant i could spend a bit of money paying average of 6 million for the guys below when they were around 18/19/20. Struggling to find good new regens atm which is anoying but my players are only just begining to peek so i have a while before i need to worry about my next gen. Have made some slight changes to the player instructions this season so will update when i am over halfway or finnished.

Two strikers are probably my best players

Grassi has been world player of the year/golden ball winner last three years in a row.

View attachment 237134View attachment 237135

Couldn't pick between the rest so had to put three in there!

View attachment 237131View attachment 237132View attachment 237133

Thanks Raikan. Yeh im pretty far on now, first half of season 2022/2023. Yeh i was lucky enough to buy good regens in my 2nd or third season in the prem, keeping wages low meant i could spend a bit of money paying average of 6 million for the guys below when they were around 18/19/20. Struggling to find good new regens atm which is anoying but my players are only just begining to peek so i have a while before i need to worry about my next gen. Have made some slight changes to the player instructions this season so will update when i am over halfway or finnished.

Two strikers are probably my best players

Grassi has been world player of the year/golden ball winner last three years in a row.

View attachment 237134View attachment 237135

Couldn't pick between the rest so had to put three in there!

View attachment 237131View attachment 237132View attachment 237133

hey bud,

nice looking players there :) but you see, thats my point exactly.. its like playing now with Barca, even better than Barca, Messi has nothing on these guys...

When so far into the game with such incredible regens in your team, a default tactic could win most matches, doing really well in the first 3 years in the game is a good sign for a good tactic!

You dont have all these Wonderkid regens, you dont have the best of the best facilities, coaches, players, bucket loads of cash from being stringent throughout the years and excessive cup wins etc.. :)

All I am saying that any type of tactic would work well for this team given it is fluid and used for over a season :)

In second season I won the MLS with the Whitecaps using this tactic. I only started using it a quarter of the way through the season aswell! Good tactic mate, looking forward to seeing what tweaks you've done.

Raikan, know what you are saying obviously the players help alot. However i play cup games and sometimes champs league matches with young/reserve players who are no where near as good and they still win!! even against top teams. The reason i posted was because i had changed tactic and it produced greater success. Maby i will test it on a lower prem team in first season to see what happens and post the results :)

Thanks steveneales, hope you get the same success in your next season!!! will post final tactic asap just over half way through my season now!!

I was predicted 7th mate so this is a good tactic! Now in the transfer window I can actually get some natural wing backs in now!

Pre-season max teamwork, then i usually mix between teamwork and attacking movement on average.

perfect timing mate! just finished a test season with wigan and came a respectable 10th when media predicted last.

For Raikan007 :P

View attachment 237977View attachment 237978View attachment 237979View attachment 237980View attachment 237981

Played the season with the original team.
Scored a crazy amount of goals but conceeded plenty aswell. However for wigan to finish tenth scoring 73 goals is not a bad effort!! Problems were in defence because the wingers were not very good at defending and got cought out by pace of attackers aswell. Played david jones as left winger who is not a defensive player at all, he created many chances but offered little protection for centre backs.

Would love to see someone try this tactic with a mid table team like aston villa or everton they would definatly be chalenging for the title!!

Putting an update on the first post right now with final tactic!!

Last edited:
Back