diabolicpanda

Reaction score
As with every other version of FM I have now played FM14 intensely for a while and it's around that time of year, where I've settled on the formation, I think is the one to use against this version's ME (and man is it a frustrating one this year!)

I usually try to get a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3) going as it's my favourite formation, but I always end up playing this:

View attachment 370502

This formation offers quite a few triangles for patient build up play - just the way I like it. It offers the option to put pressure on the opposition while still having a spare man in the middle of the park, which seems key in this version. The positioning of the wide men as wing backs rather than full backs makes them close down the wingers before they are able to release the dreaded through ball - but expect to be outplayed in wide areas if a wing back rather than a DLP closes down the opposition full back.

I set up my team to use a patient build up to get my wing backs and attacking midfielder forward - thereby moving the triangles from my own into the oppositions half:

View attachment 370452

The players are given quite a lot of freedom, but still aim to keep the passing triangles while keeping the opposition guessing. The tactic is very fluid which demands a bit from your players. The patient bulid up and the counterintuitive 'drop deep and hassle opponents'-strategi demands players that are mentally and physically strong. I try not to go below 12 for passing, decisions, composure, team work, stamina, work rate and pace for any position.

RESULTS:

I developed the tactic during my current journey man save, where I achieved the following:

3rd i Premier League with Newcastle in the first season.

Took Feyenoord from 14th to 3rd when I took over halfway through second season.

Won Eresdivise with Feyenoord in the 3rd season.

Took over at Sassuolo in the 4th season, where after two seasons ending up 2nd behind an extremely good Juventus team I finally won Serie A as well as the Euro Cup in my third season in charge.

Now halfway through the my fourth season in charge this is where I am:

View attachment 370496

View attachment 370495

While I am in 2020 I do not have a team of world beaters. My squad is strong, but not fantastic, as I have only been at the club for a few seasons with limited ressources. I usually sign young players, but they are hard to devellop due to Sassuolo's poor facillities.

For every one of these:

View attachment 370484

I have one of these:

View attachment 370483

PLAYER KEY ATTRIBUTES:

GK: I usually go for Jumping Reach, Rushing Out and Reflexes, but just get a good all round keeper

DC: Jumping reach, Positioning, Marking, Anticipation and Tackling. A bit of Pace (12+) is preferable

DMC: Classic anchor man. Work Rate, Positioning, Tackling, Marking, Anticipation. If possible go for Passing, Decisions, Teamwork and Composure as well.

WB: Absolute key for the tactic. Find as well rounded players as possible. Pace, Positioning, Work Rate, Stamina, Tackling and Crossing are vital. Dribbling, Decisions, Anticipation and Passing shouldn't be underestimated. They get quite a few shots so Finishing 12+ is nice but not vital.

DLP: Work Rate, Passing, Tackling and Decisions are key for the deep lying playmakers. Positioning, Marking and Composure are good to have as well.

CM
: Work Rate, Off The Ball, Passing, Pace and Finishing. Composure, Flair, Dribling and Creativity is icing on the cake.

ST: The tactic works best if they are pretty well rounded. I aim not to go below 12 for: Finishing, Off The Ball, Composure, Pace, Dribling, Passing, Flair, Creativity and Work Rate.

TRAINING:

Classic Team Cohesion and Tactics preseason until fluid. Then average Balanced and Attacking Movement 20% during the season.

OI's:

I aim not to use any, but I sometimes go for Close Down and weaker foot on every opposition player and Tight Marking on every player playing in midfield (not DM) and attack.

TEAM TALKS:

I leave them to the assistant manager.

IN GAME TWEAKS:

I try to keep it plug and play, but sometimes (rarely) I make these changes to mix it up:

Change one of the DLP's to defend and the other to BBM. Sometimes I change both to BBM if I need to speed up the game.

If the strikers have a hard time getting involved I change one or both to False 9's.

To tighten things up, I sometimes add Stick To Positions to team instructions.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

The reason I'm uploading this is because I actually want YOU - the great minds of FM Base - to help me take it up a step. I know it has potential, but for instance it still conceeds way too much for my liking. Mostly from corners, deep crosses to the near post and route one balls after a lost 50/50 battle in the middle of the park.

One thing though: I would like to keep the formation. No doubt it would be better with two shadow strikers, but I don't want to go strikerless :)

Please feel free to tweak and experiment with the template and report back with your findings.

Aaaaaand the tactic:

Diamond Template

Last edited:
May seem as a stupid question, but why would it be better with 2 shadow strikers instead of 2 ordinary strikers? Defensively?

Anyways, seems like a interesting piece of tactic you have there. I like possession based tactics and they seem to lack on the forum after the new patch.

May seem as a stupid question, but why would it be better with 2 shadow strikers instead of 2 ordinary strikers? Defensively?

Anyways, seems like a interesting piece of tactic you have there. I like possession based tactics and they seem to lack on the forum after the new patch.

From all the strikerless formations popping up on the forum lately I just gathered the ME probably favors that..:)

And I usually have the most possesion, yes, but it's not exactly tika taka - due to the higher tempo and the very adventurous wingbacks. Sometimes I slow down the tempo and ticks Work Ball Into Box and the possesion percentage usually goes well into the 60'es - but it comes with a great risk of players getting caught in possesion I find.

2013 - 2014 seasons test please !!!

As stated above I finished 3rd with Newcastle with a rough version of this tactic in the 2013-14 season, but I'll be happy to run a new test when I get home from work..:)

Personally I find it's it's more important how a tactic does in the second season than in the first one ('second season syndrome' being widely recognized as 'a thing'), and in this regard this tactic has been tested thouroghly through a journeyman save. But to each his own..:)

Last edited:
Will test this tactic after finishing my first season at Stade Rennais, currently in second place after OL. I'm using dudasardas tactic but I find it a bit unsteady, conceading alot of goals in the last 30 minutes but also having difficulties winning over easy opponents that I should be trashing any day.

2013 - 2014 seasons test please !!!

Exactly...AI will figure approach, just like danilo and he will start losing, just many others, including me :p

Although, this is quite challenging and is very good move from SI.

Exactly...AI will figure approach, just like danilo and he will start losing, just many others, including me :p

Although, this is quite challenging and is very good move from SI.

I can give no guarantees, but as I said: In my journeyman save I'm on my 7th season with three different clubs, and the tactic has worked well in the first season, but more importantly even better in the second season at every club - without me being able to build the classic 2020 Super Team.

But anyways, I'm underway with a first season test with West Ham (see post #7). Will report back.

Have you tried the DLP's as BBM's? I find BBM with get forward more to position my midfielders at the edge of the box