meser

Reaction score
2-3-5 TIKI-TAKA / DOMINATION FOOTBALL / PARADIGMA GUARDIOLA [14.3.0]

Intro:

"Football in the 19th century was a game that would be difficult for us to recognize now in comparison to the modern sport we are accustomed to. At the time, football was still in the process of formalizing itself. There were few set it’s rules. There was a stringent debate over whether it should be legal to intentionally kick an opposing player in the shins. Professionalism was still something not part of the sport. Outside of these issues of standardization and business, the approach adopted by teams was radically different. The standard formation had 7-8 players on the front line acting as forwards. All out attack was the focal point of competition. The primary thrust of how the game was played was largely oriented through dribbling in direct lines to the opponents goals. In fact it was only in the 1860’s that it became legal to pass the ball forward. Prior, according to one existing rule, Law Six, it was illegal for any player to be positioned ahead of the ball. The very notion of passing was considered an inferior way of playing.
All of this would change however. This history is brilliantly recounted in Jonathan Wilson’s seminal study of tactics and their evolution, Inverting the Pyramid. But the transition to a more interlinked way of playing was slow. As Wilson describes, when the Law Six was altered making the forward pass legal the game initially changed little. Teams didn’t take advantage of passing even after it was legalized. Innovation came from outside of England, which was then both the home and dominant center of the game. Passing was first leveraged as a means of playing in Scotland.
In order to pass the ball better a new kind of formation was developed. One of the seven forwards was drawn back and the 2-2-6 was developed.
Soon however it became clear that the 2-2-6 wasn’t the optimal way to set up a side that was oriented around the pass. Another forward was drawn back and the forerunner of the modern center half was born in the 2-3-5 formation.
The 2-3-5 would go on to be the predominant system played in much of the world until the 1925 when further changes in the offside rule were made. This in turn led to the emergence of the “W-M” formation (3-2-2-3).
Wilson deftly summarizes the history of the game after the dominance of the 2-3-5 as a process of he describes “Inverting the Pyramid.” Managers became progressively more and more concerned about creating defensive solidity over the course of the 20th century. As such, they continued to drop forwards from the 2-3-5 back deeper to create additional defensive positions.
In the mid-1980’s Carlos Bilardo, manager of Argentina, developed the 3-5-2 as a system to play in the 1986 World Cup. Part of the purpose of Bilardo’s 3-5-2 was to provide a defensive platform for Maradona to play in front of, a structure that would allow his genius to shine and not burden him with the need to defend. The 3-5-2 would quickly go on to become one of the most favored systems in the world. Part of it’s widespread adoption was related to its flexibility – how it was implemented could vary widely. While the 3-5-2 can seem like a highly attack oriented system latent within it is an extremely defensive variant. Play the defensive block deep and focus the wing backs on solidity and the 3-5-2 quickly turns into a 5-3-2. And this is what many sides did in the 1980’s and 1990’s. The original pyramid formed in the 19th century – the 2-3-5 oriented around attack – had undergone complete inversion turning into a 5-3-2 oriented around defending."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayern's 2-3-5 :

View attachment 334559View attachment 334558View attachment 334614View attachment 334613
View attachment 334611View attachment 334612

ScreenShots:

v.1 :View attachment 334610View attachment 334609
v.1 update : View attachment 334442

View attachment 334306View attachment 334305View attachment 334304
View attachment 334447View attachment 334448View attachment 334446
View attachment 334445View attachment 334444View attachment 334443
View attachment 334607
View attachment 334606View attachment 334605
View attachment 334604

Results :

Bundesliga 1st place

View attachment 334245View attachment 334244

DFB-Pokal 1st place

View attachment 334243View attachment 334242

SuperCup 2nd place

View attachment 334241

Champions League 2nd place

View attachment 334233View attachment 334232

Download:

V.1 : UPDATE 10.10.2014 :
Code:
http://speedy.sh/utkuF/2-3-5-tiki-taka2up.tac

If U decided to use my tactic, please tell me, (send some SS) how it works in Ur team ! THX

Last edited:
Results? I think its so fantastic for FM 2014 :)

Hmmm, new project for fm 15
this is sure SI make 2-3-5 from standard formation O___O (joke)

well i try it sur eis a beautiful football, also for FM15 project.......if u want a tester pm me :)

p.s. i try it whit United :D

Last edited:
i really do like your tactic, but it is not close enough to the real Bayern. in fact, Guardiola plays 3-5-3 with alaba as a box-to-box defender. i have no idea how to recreate it in fm, but regista seems to be the good choice.

vs Hannover, 04 oct
View attachment 334414View attachment 334410

vs CSKA, 30 sep.
View attachment 334413View attachment 334409

vs Cologne, 27 sep.
View attachment 334412View attachment 334408

vs Padeborn, 23 sep.
View attachment 334411View attachment 334407

here are the last 4 Bayern games, as u can see player's positions are not set in stone and the tactic seems to be very fluid, but the formation in the match against Hannover probably is the one that is optimal. Good luck

Last edited:
i really do like your tactic, but it is not close enough to the real Bayern. in fact, Guardiola plays 3-5-3 with alaba as a box-to-box defender. i have no idea how to recreate it in fm, but regista seems to be the good choice.

Thx, I know it is very hard to emulate Bayern's style, players like Lahm or Alaba changes their positions a few times in 1 game, so I'm concentrating only on games for example against CSKA and Man United when they dominated opponents, and play formation like 2-3-5. You can see it on this SS and others in my thread
View attachment 334386

Last edited:
My first season has come to end, so I've updated my thread, and now You can check all my results

I tried this formation with Roma in Seria A. What I noticed is that this formation has to be played with extremly fast players. So teams like Roma, that does not fit this requiest should not be played like this. Basically, I had huge problem in defence on my right side, due my Regista nor my stoper were not fast enough in closing opponent wingers, and in offence, my trasformation was not fast enough, and low agressive moves towards opponent goal did not helped against defences that was in position. I did had most of possesion, but I did not created CCC, or even HC, while opposition had CCC and HC against me.

I do thing this could work, but you should thing a lot about players you choose for this formation and general rule should be - no slow players.

Also, one thing I dont like is two Treq in squad that plays full pitch pressing. I would consider changing their rolles to something else.

Generally, I like Your Idea, but it needs a lot (right players) to be succsesfull, it is not plug and play formation by no means.