united762000

Reaction score
Judge Ipswich Town by looking at their squad and you might be rather underwhelmed, but following a fine start to the season and a string of impressive displays new manager James Poxon sees his team sitting top of the Championship.

Ipswich chairman Marcus Evans shocked football by appoitning a little heard of coach as the clubs new manager. Indeed many people outside of Spain had heard of him. Poxon had been working under Athletic Bilbao coach Marcello Bielsa as one of his attacking coaches whilest he completed the UEFA coaching badges. Bielsa and Poxon share a love of football and tactics and obsessed about creating a tactic that could be used by a small team to play attacking football. The Ipswich Town position came up Bielsa gave Poxon a glowing reference. Evans didn't hesitate and signed him up on a 2 and a half year contract.

Poxon is a tactical obsessive and ruthless in his relationship with his players. The players have all beeen told that none of them will play every game and that he will rotate his starting lining up every single game. This is to keep his players fresh and hungry both physically and mentally. His training levels are kept at high throughout the season and constantly working on teamwork and defensive duties.

Poxon's standard formation is a 2-4-1-2-1 which could also be called an attacking 4-5-1 or a defensive 4-3-3. It is an inherently attacking formation that aims to take the game to their opponents, pressing the opposition and then stretching the play when in possession. The two wing backs surge forward whenever possible, trying to outnumber the oppostions fullbacks, and also drifting into more central positions to provide a goal threat. Ipswich get as many as 8 players in the final third at times and outnumber the defending team. Poxon believes that possession is nice for teams like Barca, Arsenal but feels the importance of pressure and killer balls is more important. Poxon was asked is he is a fan of possession football to which he replied "why take 30 passes to get into the box when you could do it in 5?"
View attachment 303045View attachment 303029View attachment 303015

(home tactic) (control tactic) (away tactic)

View attachment 303030View attachment 303031

*****UPDATE*****
The home tactic is used against teams that the home side are expected to beat. Using the wingers and the wing backs to outnumber the oppositions fulls backs to create chances. If Ipswich find themselves struggling to cope with the oppositions numbers in midfield or find themselves not seeing enough of the ball they revert to the control tactic with manager Poxon shouting instructions to his side to ensure they win back possession and steady the ship somewhat. Poxon always uses his away tactic for every away game as it gives the right balance of defensive and offensive play. Ipswich's back 6 work hard to snuff out any attacking threay and limit the opposition to shooting from range. In attack the side throw forward upto 8 players to penetrate the oppositions backline

Poxon uses his players in a variety of roles and has used wingers in the central midfield position to add extra pace into the midfield used midfielders in defence if he feels his defensive distibution has been poor and even attacking midfielders in a defensive midfield role to help with countr attacking movement. Most interestingly is his use of the Trequatista in his away tactic. This is a role that requires experience and special skills but his use of a 20 year old striker and an 18 year old winger in this position has been surprising. By changing his teams style to play more narrow means the Trequatista sees plenty of the ball between the oppositions midfield and defence.

Ipswich make several changes depending on their opponents but all rely on a defence that is a back 2 when attacking and a back 6 when defending and an attack which pushes as many as 8 players forward. Poxon maybe a rookie manager but his forward thinking has seen his Ipswich side remain unbeaten in the opening few months of the season and scoremore goals than any other team in the country.

View attachment 303017

*****please note this is completely ficticious but the tactics are here for you to try*****
****this tactic was inspired by SS11's The Italian Job 4-2-3-1(false 2-4-3-1) I highly recommend looking at this tactic****

Download link here:2-4-1-2-1 (modern day 4-3-3) - Downloads - Football Manager 2013 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

The download is for the away formation which is more effective. To change this to the home formation just change the Trequatista to a winger and the teams mentality to attacking. Change the passing to focused down both flanks.
Any questions please feel free to ask

Last edited:
do you think it would work for fc utd?

I don't see why not. This was developed with my Ipswich team and I have made no star signings. It is a tactic that doesn't rely on star players or one player in particular. The goals are shared around the team with Jason Scotland being my top goalscorer so far. I think for it to work well you need to focus your training on teamwork and defensive organization

ok might give it a go what shouts do you use the home 1 and the possesson 1?

The pictures of the shouts are under the corresponding tactics I use them with. I did have a shout package with the away tactic but found it to be more effective not using it.

The download link is for the away tactic. I have found this one to be the most successful. To change it to the home tactic change the Trequatista to a winger and the teams mentality from control to attack and the passing being focused down both flanks.

I take each game as it comes. I look at my opponents and the formations they have been playing then make a judgement call on what system to use. I do all my own teamtalks and training and only use my assistant with the OI and for scouting

If anyone tries this can they let me know how they get on. I have only tested this tactic with Ipswich Town

started a new game with Aston Villa to test this. the team is still learning obviously but i played the 1st frendly and watched the whole game. first impressions are very good. i love tactics that are solid at the back and this one certainly is solid. I beat a french league two side 2-0 with 22 shots, 11 on target and 60% possession. they had 2 shots none on target. 2nd friendly against feyenoord and lost 1-0 but that doesnt tell the story. i had 12 shots 7 on target and 55% they had 4 shots 1 on target (grrrr). i also had 2 good goals disallowed by the same linesman and hit the woodwork twice so it was just one of those games i guess.

all in all i am looking forward to more games with this as i would much rather be in control and win 2-0 with a solid tactic than win 5-3 with an all out attack that neglects the defensive aspects of the game. i guess some people may think thats a little boring but i enjoy seeing the opposition totally run out of ideas and resort to hoofing the ball anywhere. i will try and give more feedback when it has become fluid and the real games start

started a new game with Aston Villa to test this. the team is still learning obviously but i played the 1st frendly and watched the whole game. first impressions are very good. i love tactics that are solid at the back and this one certainly is solid. I beat a french league two side 2-0 with 22 shots, 11 on target and 60% possession. they had 2 shots none on target. 2nd friendly against feyenoord and lost 1-0 but that doesnt tell the story. i had 12 shots 7 on target and 55% they had 4 shots 1 on target (grrrr). i also had 2 good goals disallowed by the same linesman and hit the woodwork twice so it was just one of those games i guess.

all in all i am looking forward to more games with this as i would much rather be in control and win 2-0 with a solid tactic than win 5-3 with an all out attack that neglects the defensive aspects of the game. i guess some people may think thats a little boring but i enjoy seeing the opposition totally run out of ideas and resort to hoofing the ball anywhere. i will try and give more feedback when it has become fluid and the real games start

Thanks mate. Did you just use the tactic from download and use that(the away tactic as I have called it) or did you do the few tweaks needed to make it the home tactic? The away tactic I have found is the more stronger(this is the one that downloads) tweak it as much as you won't to suit your squad. It doesn't always generate high possession but I have had matches where I have only had 40 percent possession but still won 2 0. The opposition resort to a lot of long shots when they fail to break down your team. Keep me posted on how you get on. Like I say I have only tested this with Ipswich but they are hardly team of all stars.

i have created the home and control versions too, i have tried to copy them exactly from the screens you posted but its difficult to see exactly where the sliders should be from the pics. i also noticed that some of the dutys need to be changed and i think i have them correct. it might be an idea to upload all 3 for us to try and also a little bit of a hint as to when to change between them and why. still going fine in pre season beat roma 2-1

i have created the home and control versions too, i have tried to copy them exactly from the screens you posted but its difficult to see exactly where the sliders should be from the pics. i also noticed that some of the dutys need to be changed and i think i have them correct. it might be an idea to upload all 3 for us to try and also a little bit of a hint as to when to change between them and why. still going fine in pre season beat roma 2-1
I'll be honest with you I have no idea how to add the other two tactics to this post. I am not very good with computers and had to get TBH to help me just upload the away tactic. I'll work on it and see if I can figure it out.
As for when to use which tactics I find that I generally use the home tactic when plaing at home against team I expect to beat or ones that have poor form. I use the away tactic for home games against strong sides. I usually let the first 25 minutes go and see how we get on. Sometimes I find the opposition have a lot of possession but when you look at it it is all in their own half. I am happy with that because the way I look at it if they are in their own half they cannot do me any harm. As soon as they venture into my half the players react and start closing down. If I find the opposition are looking dangerous with the ball then I change tactics to the control ones just to steady the ship. The away tactic I use for every away game and find it has the right balance to enable sustained attacks and also being responsible at the back.
I just beat Boro at home 2-0 in my last game starting off using the home tactic, after 25 minutes it was 0-0 and I had only had 39% possession. This may not seem like a lot but despite Boro having 61% posession they didn't manage one single shot on target. I changed the system to the control one and sure enough my possession increased and I took a strong hold of the game. I scored 2 goals and Boro fell apart and had no answer

Nice tactic buddy:) Just used it with my ajax side at home to ADO Den Haag and despite Wellington Nem getting sent off I managed a 1-0 win with the home tactic, without a striker:)
What shouts do you use with the tactics?

Nice tactic buddy:) Just used it with my ajax side at home to ADO Den Haag and despite Wellington Nem getting sent off I managed a 1-0 win with the home tactic, without a striker:)
What shouts do you use with the tactics?

If you are using the tactic from the download (the away tactic) I dont use shouts. Sometimes if we have a slender lead I sometimes instruct the plaers to drop deeper to make iteven more difficult for the opposition to penetrate. If you have modified it to the home/controltactics the relevent shouts are pictured under the relevent formations pictures in the opening post. Glad you liked it

Thanks for the replie, I didnt even see the screen shot with instructions, guess I should pay better attention. thanks again bud:)

How is your Villa save going? Have you had to change any of the tactic?

How is your Villa save going? Have you had to change any of the tactic?

hi mate. sorry i've not been back to you. I became a father at 6am this morning so FM13 will be left to gather dust for a while. once i get chance to relax a little im sure FM13 will be back in my thoughts but from what i can remember i had played about 8 games and was in 6th spot. lost to spurs and stoke and had draws against liverpool and man u and won the other 4 games