2-8-0 The future of football

united762000

Reaction score
During last weeks fantastic Euro 2012 Vialli and Klinsmann were discussing Spain and their style of play and they said that they play a 2-8-0 formation. This got me thinking and I started work developing a formation based on what they said. I am always on here looking at new tactics and forever reading tactical books and websites.
I downloaded Raikan007's Euro2012 Italian 4-1-3-2 formation and began to tweak it. I pushed the 2 full backs up to wingback in a support role. I then dropped one of the central midfielders into the defensive midfield role alongside an anchor man. I then pulled the two strikers into the attacking wing postions and set them as attacking in the defensive winger role.

Goalkeeper

Defender Defender

Wing back Anchor man Defensive mid Wing back

Central mid Deep lying playmaker

Defensive winger Defensive winger

The space is used as the Striker!!!!

I have left all team instructions the same as Raikan007. I use the shouts retain possesion, pass into space,work ball into box, play through defence and hassel opponents. This formation has worked amazingly well. I started a Rotherham game and play 7 pre seasons games and scores 42 goals and conceded 0. Ok these were against non league teams but it was a confidence building exercise and to get the players used to the formation. I am now 10 games into the season and have played 10 won 10 scored 34 and conceded 2 (one of them was a penalty) I haven't got any screen shots because if I am honest I have no idea how to do it as I only use my laptop to play FM and to look at ****!lol. I never play with "big teams" and by big I mean anyone in any top leagues. For larger teams this could either be a superb piece of tactical skill or a complete disaster. If anyone fancies giving it a go then let me know how you get on. And before anyone asks I do all my own team talks my own oppostion instructions and play on a normal pitch size.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/177tlk

Last edited:
I've nearly finished my first season at Athletic Bilbao, will give this a try in the pre-season and the start of the season, if it works well I'll stick with it. Will let you know how it goes :D

During last weeks fantastic Euro 2012 Vialli and Klinsmann were discussing Spain and their style of play and they said that they play a 2-8-0 formation. This got me thinking and I started work developing a formation based on what they said. I am always on here looking at new tactics and forever reading tactical books and websites.
I downloaded Raikan007's Euro2012 Italian 4-1-3-2 formation and began to tweak it. I pushed the 2 full backs up to wingback in a support role. I then dropped one of the central midfielders into the defensive midfield role alongside an anchor man. I then pulled the two strikers into the attacking wing postions and set them as attacking in the defensive winger role.

Goalkeeper

Defender Defender

Wing back Anchor man Defensive mid Wing back

Central mid Deep lying playmaker

Defensive winger Defensive winger

The space is used as the Striker!!!!

I have left all team instructions the same as Raikan007. I use the shouts retain possesion, pass into space,work ball into box, play through defence and hassel opponents. This formation has worked amazingly well. I started a Rotherham game and play 7 pre seasons games and scores 42 goals and conceded 0. Ok these were against non league teams but it was a confidence building exercise and to get the players used to the formation. I am now 10 games into the season and have played 10 won 10 scored 34 and conceded 2 (one of them was a penalty) I haven't got any screen shots because if I am honest I have no idea how to do it as I only use my laptop to play FM and to look at ****!lol. I never play with "big teams" and by big I mean anyone in any top leagues. For larger teams this could either be a superb piece of tactical skill or a complete disaster. If anyone fancies giving it a go then let me know how you get on. And before anyone asks I do all my own team talks my own oppostion instructions and play on a normal pitch size.

You forgot to upload the tactic, unless it is of course a "mythical tactic".

if you read the part where i said i don't actually know how to do that. i did say i only use my computer for FM and ****. just follow the instructions i put on it. you must upload the Raikan007 italian 4-1-3-2 formation and follow the instructions

I've nearly finished my first season at Athletic Bilbao, will give this a try in the pre-season and the start of the season, if it works well I'll stick with it. Will let you know how it goes :D

oh i forgot to say have the defensive wingers set to cut inside. probably the most vital part of the tactic and i forgot to put it on the first post

Hmm, what position seems to score most of your goals?

In other words, if your not scoring goals, what position(s) would you be looking to tweak?

sorry,i'm not english and i can't uderstand all...please, can you post the tactic...we try it, and we can improve it with the our ideas...post it in site like mediafire,or other...please

Hmm, what position seems to score most of your goals?

In other words, if your not scoring goals, what position(s) would you be looking to tweak?
s

My two wingers are the main goalscorers. At Rotherham all the wingers are wingers/strikers which probably helps. i set them to cut inside and usually if one is crossing it in the other has come into the middle. also for some reason my wing back (right) seems to score quite a bit which is strange. he has the same settings as wing back (left) and he hasn't scored or even had a shot at goal i don't think.

the 2 wing should be in the wide stiker position with the instruction of defensive wing, or in the natural wing position (like AMl,Amr) with wing defensive instruction...?!?!

the 2 wing should be in the wide stiker position with the instruction of defensive wing, or in the natural wing position (like AMl,Amr) with wing defensive instruction...?!?!

in the aml and amr positions as defensive wingers with attack strategy

Mate, just save you tactic in the game with the name "2-8-0 by united762000" for example and then open this link an then press "browse" and a windows explorer window should appear. search in "documents-> My documents-> Sports Interactive-> Football Manager 2012-> Tactics-> and then select the file that says "2-8-0 by united762000" and in the web page press "uploud" .

then copy and paste the link that says "download link" here.

If you need help say please, looking forward to test your tactic

Just coming up to the pre-season now, so I'll give this tactic a try :) Thanks for uploading it.

This looks like a really interesting idea, going to test my own version in a few league games.

Back