Montrenomo

Reaction score
I'm playing a narrow diamond tactic, with an achor man in the back and an advanced playmaker (attack) as an Attacking Midfielder. In the front I have a deep lying forward and a poacher.
In the middle of the field I have a box to box midfielder and I can sign another one. Do you think it will work? did anyone try it before? How is it?
If it depends on the strikers, they both are very flexible in their roles. Maybe there are certain roles that work with 2 box to box midfielders?

Sorry for any English mistakes, it's not my native language. Thanks for the helpers :)

Last edited:
your english is fine

2 box to box mids could work, but i would suggest having on CM on Support duty, someone to make simple passes while staying in the middle, partner that with one box to box, should work great.

Tried 2 box to box once, didn't work as no one was making the passes to the Attacking Midfielder and both kind of just stood outside the opposition's penalty box

As both a disclaimer and an opening to you, The Better Half's Italian 4-3-1-2 uses a pair of box to box midfielders in a narrow diamond, and whilst using his tactic (w/ AC Milan, Vitesse, and Stuttgart) I achieved success, though of course this was contingent on appropriate players and motivation.

The box to box midfielder, depending on your strategy/philosophy/shouts/custom instructions is broadly similar to the CM (S), the main difference is that the B2B has more creative freedom but less through balls. Thus, he will be more willing to disregard your instructions and use his own skills to take initiative.

If you can acquire midfielders who are genuinely talented enough to play as box-to-box midfielders for your level I would do it. Even if you find the slightly different CM support settings work better, you can always re-purpose them. In general in a narrow diamond you want the two wider CMs to be "shuttlers" who provide bodies to the attack, keep the ball circulating, and help win the ball back (example, Gattuso and Seedorf for Ancelotti's diamond midfield with Milan).

If of course you want to deviate from the norm a lot in how your team play or the instructions you give to these two midfielders, then it's on you to test it for yourself.

Tl;Dr version: It should work.

I think I'll try them both. I've played a game using 2 BBMs and one with one BBM and one CM, and the CM worked better, but my brand new midfielder haven't came yet.

Anyway, thanks.