20 Seasons of the Premier League Awards

Harriers09

Reaction score
Just thought people might like to discuss the 20 Seasons of the Premier League Awards Nominees.

Just gone through the lists and voted on what I could vote on and it always brings back the memories...

"Eric Cantona has been nominated in five of the 11 categories for the Premier League 20 Seasons Awards, which mark two decades since the league's launch.

The former Manchester United star is a contender for the best player, best goal, most memorable quote, best celebration and best striker prizes.

Alan Shearer has four nominations, while Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry have three each.
Winners will be decided either by panel or public vote on premierleague.com.

The public will decide the best goal, match, save and celebrations. Panel votes will judge the best team, players, quote, season and manager.

Fact-based awards are given to the players with the most appearances, goals and clean sheets respectively.
The shortlists were drawn up after votes from national newspapers. The player and manager of the 20 Seasons Awards will be announced on 15 May."

I'D SAY GET YOUR VOTES IN!!!

Heres the link to make you vote count: 20 Seasons of Premier League

I have to say I really really found the best team difficult. I wanted everyone to play!

And there was no way I'm gonna have a Best XI of the last 20 years without Le Tiss!

Just tto start off.... I had to go for Liverpool 4 -3 Newcastle as the best match....it was truely incredible watching it live! But I'm sure the 2nd time it happened (4-3 the same fixture the following season) was an even better game!

Just voted.. It was very difficult though. So many great players, kind of shows how the league has declined since 2004 though.

Liverpool 4-4 Arsenal for best match
Lua Lua for best celebration
Di Canio for best goal
Jaaskaleinen for best save
my team looks horrifically biased towards Man Utd haha

Last edited:
disappointed with the celebrations to choose from...

Lee Sharpe's isnt the Sharpey Shuffle, which is a classic.
No Tim Cahill boxing the corner flag.
No Fabrizio Ravanelli... A celebration so good it will earn you a yellow card these days unless you wear a shirt underneath!
The Chelsea team celebration they did a few times around 1997 where they all casually laid down with their thumbs up.
JayJay Okocha's little dance.
Surely even Robbie Keane's strange cartwheel/roll thing is a better celebration than Shearer's one hand??

Voted the Newcastle comeback from 4 - 0 down the greatest game, sheer determination.
The Rooney overhead kick as the best goal; I got the most shivers watching that, but it was between that, Henry's goal and Bergkamps flick.
Bullard as the best celebration, was funny as **** to watch, just came from nowhere.
Shay given for the best save, but sounding biased maybe.. the save which Ali Al Habsi did Vs Wolves earlier this season was better than a lot of them!

The team has to contain mostly Manchester United players, simply because they have dominated the league. But I tried to choose as few as possible.

Schmeichel
Neville - Desailly - Tony Adams - Riise
Ronaldo - Scholes - Viera - Giggs
Shearer - Zola

Schmeichel
Neville - Desailly - Tony Adams - Irwin
Ronaldo - Scholes - Viera - Giggs
Shearer - Henry

Surprised the Rooney goal is there, although i guess its there as a seminal moment (stunning winning goal against your rival) His newcastle volley was a better pure goal

Last edited:
My all time Premier XI based on appearances:

D. James (572)

J. Carragher (481) - S. Campbell (503) - R. Ferdinand (446) - P. Neville (484)

G. Barry (461)
R. Giggs (596) - G. Speed (535) - P. Scholes (478)
F. Lampard (520)

E. Heskey (510)
Subs:
M. Schwarer (463)
A. Shearer (441)
K. Davies (438)
G. Southgate (426)
T. Sheringham (418)
A. Cole (414)
A. Hughes (413)

Best Match: Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle
Best Goal: Paulo Di Canio
Best Celebration: Jimmy Bullard
Best Save: Carlo Cudicini
Best 11: Schmeichel, Neville, Terry, Adams, Cole, Ronaldo, Scholes, Lampard, Giggs, Henry and Shearer.

Best match : Spurs 3 United 5...vintage United |).
Best goal : The lack of Scholes, Ronaldo, Lamps and Gerrard is bizzare...I ended up going with Tiss vs Newcastle, pure class.
Best celebration : Shearer, awful selection though.
Best save : Gordon.
Best XI : TGD, Neville, Rio, Vidic, Cashley, Ronaldo, Scholes, Lamps, Giggs, Henry & Shearer. Not my real XI though, they should've given us a choice on formation and what player plays where.

Best Match: Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle
Best Goal: Alan Shearer
Best Celebration: Jimmy Bullard
Best Save: Schmeichel vs Liverpool
Best 11: Schmeichel, Neville, Terry, Rio, Irwin, Ronaldo, Scholes, Le Tiss, Giggs, Cantona and Shearer. (Too many United players!!!)

No matter how many times I see that Bergkamp goal, I'm always gonna say "what a touch" every time!

Match: Spurs 3-5 United. Purely because it sums up United under Ferguson, which has been a defining force of the Premier League era.
Goal: Came down to Bergkamp and Cantona for me. Bergkamp took it, purely because I just love Bergkamp and that was a flick of utter majesty.
Celebration: Tempted by LuaLua, but picked Cantona just because it is so iconic.
Save: Thin pickings. I picked Jussi.
Team:

GK - Brad Friedel: Sheer longevity and completely rock-solid consistency. Friedel was never the greatest in the world, but he never, ever made a costly mistake.
RB - Gary Neville: England's best ever right back, and like Friedel a bastion of consistency.
CBs - Sol Campbell and Tony Adams: Went for the Arsenal pairing. Sol Campbell had everything at his peak, and Adams maintained a high level of performance for a long time.
LB - Ashley Cole: From Arsenal to Chelsea, the best left-back in the country for a decade. Only competition was Denis Irwin, but Cole wins by virtue of practically being a left-winger half the time too.
RM - Cristiano Ronaldo: Sorry Becks, but Ronaldo had it all. Unstoppable at his best.
CMs - Paul Scholes and Patrick Vieira: Scholes was the easiest pick of the lot, but the other was a shootout between Vieira and Keane. I gave it to Vieira, since he was a totally complete player, and also less of a *****.
STs - Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp: Rounding out the six-strong Arsenal group with Henry, who is the best Premier League striker ever, and Bergkamp, who was just magical in his touch and vision.
LM - Ryan Giggs: Well obviously.

Arsenal - Liverpool for match.
Lua Lua for celebration.
Henry v Man United for goal, it's my favourite goal of all time - it had to win for me.
Save - Schmeichel vs Newcastle.
Team:
Schmeichel
Neville
Campbell
Adams
Cole
Beckham
Scholes
Vieira
Giggs (It hurt me deeply to leave Pires out, but Giggs' longevity shone through)
Henry
Cantona

So yeah, 6 Manchester United players and 5 Arsenal players. Interesting stuff.

So, Rooney's bicycle kick goal wins goal of the 2 decades of EPL. WTF IS THIS ****!!!!
:mad:

Bergkamp's goal is far better than Rooney's bicycle kick

So, Rooney's bicycle kick goal wins goal of the 2 decades of EPL. WTF IS THIS ****!!!!
:mad:

Bergkamp's goal is far better than Rooney's bicycle kick

as much as I hate united, that goal was purely brilliant.